MN Chat Thread

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Does anyone around the St. Paul/MPls area have a 3 bar map they could loan me today. Stealer ships are closed so I can't get one to see if mines bad. I've got a sort of cross post in performance section on "new tune new map" if u want details.

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
It is with deep regret that I am letting go of my 2003 Red Beetle. She had a mishap with a deer about a week ago. Insurance is totaling the car out. I was going to buy back but we checked her out and there is too much frame damage in front and the body shop will not touch it. Goodbye Betty!

02tdivw

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Tdi
steering rack

Does anyone around the St. Paul/MPls area have a power steering rack in hand, I need one.

Last edited:

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
how much would the buyback be? I might be interested in parting it.
Sorry I have been on vacation and did not see this sooner. Insurance had it picked up the next day anyway.
Copart.com has the car on their site. I just checked. It is Lot # 38232428 but it is not up for auction yet.

brokaw101

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Manual tran 234k
2002 Jetta TDI - needs to go $1500 obo

7/6/18 new battery from Costco
I’m selling my 2002 Jetta TDI with 233k on it. I’m going to be very honest about my little baby. She still runs. Had an auto to manual swap in 2012. Current needs - rear drivers side brake caliper, exhaust repair which is throwing CEL, new tires, and potentially a flywheel problem but it could have been a bad starter out of the box. It hasn’t left me stranded in over two months with this issue and still starts. Uses a bit of oil but nothing major. She was hit while parked by a metro transit bus a year ago so the drivers front quarter panel is banged up along with the typical fender rot on the drivers side. Headliner is starting to sag as well from the intelligent sunroof drainage. Had a new fuel injector pump installed in 2014. The clutch was new in 2012 as well. The headlights have been restored multiple times and back to hazy right now. I clay barred her last fall and she’s been in a garage ever since I bought her. The arm rest console is out of whack like many and the passenger side airbag cover is dinged up, the cup holder needs to be replaced and the middle air vents are not perfect due to some punks that just wanted to vandalize but not steal while I was parked at work. The front windshield is cracked. I can replace it under full glass coverage if you desire.

I was a smoker and she enjoyed many, many long road trips. Typical commute was 58 miles a day since 2006 when I bought her. If you’re not concerned about looks, my baby is meant for you. I’ve car shopped for 5 years and finally have come to the point that we need to part ways.
Oh one last flaw- the drivers seat cable is broken so she’s positioned for me to drive her.

I think I have pointed out all her flaws. Bar none the best damn car I’ve ever owned and the toughest love I have ever contemplated leaving.

She can be seen in Hopkins or Saint Paul. I will take any serious offer. Just want her to have a good home or her parts used for your dearly beloved.

I can email photos upon request.

brokaw101

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Manual tran 234k
Not a focus

How sad that your focus on life is to grieve for a mechanical device.
It’s so not a focus in my life but if you’ve ever had a car that never let you down, then you may understand and we can’t walk in each other’s shoes but only learn from the travels we each have taken. Everyone has a story.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
It’s so not a focus in my life but if you’ve ever had a car that never let you down, then you may understand and we can’t walk in each other’s shoes but only learn from the travels we each have taken. Everyone has a story.

I'll say it again..........It is just a car!:rolleyes:

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Some of us get a little nostalgic. I would never say to anyone hey it was just a dog. Run your Passat for 16 years and see if you change your mind. Hell I just saw a Chevy citation at a car show last month and it made me feel warm and fuzzy.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I was crushed when my 02 Jetta I bought new melted #2 piston from a streaming injector after only 360k miles even though I already had its replacement, my 335d. I completely understand

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
To those of us who have owned and driven a reliable TDI for 10 or 15 years or more, that car is a bit like a cowboy's horse.

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
hi folks! yuppers... i tried to keep the '02 going as long as I could without going crazy... but she's gotta go. Too bad, newish clutch, brakes, suspension... the inline coolant heater - belly plate... side marker delete, 4motion valence - have a goofy tuner that make a ton of smoke too (not on the car now) but couldn't get it to run - no idea why... ANYWAY... looking at a '13 A3 or a '15 Sportwagen... about the same amount of miles and wondering if you all have any thoughts. I lean to the Golf for the extra space for the BODL (big old dumb lab) but the A3 looks like a gas ...err... diesel? thanks for the feedback... (come get the wagon - 1.5K)

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Some of us get a little nostalgic. I would never say to anyone hey it was just a dog. Run your Passat for 16 years and see if you change your mind. Hell I just saw a Chevy citation at a car show last month and it made me feel warm and fuzzy.
My dog and my car are two totally different entities. The dog is a loyal companion and a sentient being. the car is just inert metal. Memory lane or not living breathing beings are not the same as a man-made metal product. I really hate it when many express the "love" for a car. Do they really know what love is? Love will always respond back to you, a car cannot no matter how fond you were about an inert possession. The car serves a purpose if it served you well it was a good car. Nuff said.

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I was crushed when my 02 Jetta I bought new melted #2 piston from a streaming injector after only 360k miles even though I already had its replacement, my 335d. I completely understand
So sad only 360,000 miles. My 02 Golf threw a rod at 305,000 but I had tuned it up pretty high.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've been eyeballing the jetta on there at $8xx

Just dragged home an insight, it needs more (diesel) power in the back wheels... Projects for years to come.

turbotalon1g

TDI
2010 Jetta
Not sure if any of you locals check this, but I'm really wanting to get inside a ALH wagon.
It's crazy to me they are the same price as a similar 2009+ TDI wagon.

I'm still doing research, but I'm a single dad of 2 going from a crew cab pickup and I don't want to lose all the utility by going to a econobox with no room. (main competitor right now is a cruze eco)

Anywho, do you guys have any meets or any get togethers? I'd like to get your opinions and maybe even get into one of these cars.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
There have been a couple rather tired ones on craigslist lately for around $2500
missed out on an automatic a couple months back that was listed at 1k with tranny troubles.

you'll find one priced reasonable at some point
the CR motors have proven themselves to be solid performers as well, so if people are asking stupid money for the ALH cars, no reason not to go with the CR instead.

turbotalon1g

TDI
2010 Jetta
^Thanks. i appreciate the words. I just don't want something that will need constant attention, but I definitely don't mind getting my hands dirty.

I'm looking nationwide for nice ALH wagon and I have a brother in PHX and a friend in Dallas that I can have check out a car for me before I fly out.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
I can't see spending the going price for a good rust free (visible rust at least) A4 when VW has a few hundred thousand A6s they'll be dumping on the market. I love my A4, but I've had an A6 JSW and it was an improvement on the A4 in almost every way. With the extended warranty VW has to throw in with the emissions fix, A6s are a great value!

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
You're welcome to try out my '02 Wagon, I should warn you, the back seat is a little tight. I just drove out to Colorado with 2 14 year olds. They survived but I could feel their legs with my seat pulled up a bit.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
TDI’s on CL

Does anyone have any knowledge about the individual in Rogers who has several 2013-2015 TDI’s listed on CL? Their ads state they were purchased directly from VW.

Last edited: