Manual vs. Auto

roadrunner1659

TDI
None
Good Evening,

I'm looking to purchase a 2010 Jetta TDI. Personally, I like the Crystal White with all black interior. This option can only be found in my area in a stick. I test drove an auto, so obviously I will have to test drive that. But, I was wondering what some of the more experienced TDI drivers experiences are with a manual transmission vs. an automatic transmission.

Thanks

brons2

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The "auto" on the car you drove is not a conventional auto aka "slushbox" it is a DSG. It's more like an automated manual gearbox. It does not have a torque converter.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
A DSG requires expensive service each 40,000 miles. Get the manual, they are easy and fun to drive. (I have both types in a pair of 2006 Jettas.)

Bill

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Pros of DSG:
- Anyone can drive
- Almost identical MPGs to the 6sp

Cons:
- More expensive maintainence
- May not last as long as a 6sp

In the end the choice is yours but do be prepared to spend the extra $$$ with the DSG.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Get the stick. It's an anti-theft device. Who wants (or can even drive) a stick anymore~!!

My $.02

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
BeetleGo said:
Get the stick. It's an anti-theft device. Who wants (or can even drive) a stick anymore~!!

My $.02
That's actually a really good point along with the simple fact that it's also a really good way to keep people from borrowing your car:cool:

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
As long as I press the clutch pedal, it's a stick for me. I have two kids (boy and girl) four nieces and they all drive stick and are so proud of it. Why everything we do has to be done 'easy' (lazy) way. It's a progress and and the same time 'dumbing down' of the masses.

sjjaskow

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M
I had this dilemma too, my only previous manual experience was in an early '90s F150 lariat with an extremely used 2nd gear, and some time driving large International grain trucks; I hadn't driven any for four years when I got my 6M Golf. Other than the above comments, manuals are more work-especially in traffic situations, and I love that none of my friends can borrow my car except the really dangerous ones who are all tech geeks...anyways. My decision rested on the two facts that I wanted a more interactive driving experience, and a cheaper final sticker price. DSG comes at $1000 bucks, thats pretty steep for the convenience + those 40k service fees.

DJB

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Go with the stick:cool:. VW doesn't have a good reputation for their automatics, and while the DSG isn't a true auto it's still expensive to service.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
roadrunner1659 said:
Good Evening,

I'm looking to purchase a 2010 Jetta TDI. Personally, I like the Crystal White with all black interior. This option can only be found in my area in a stick. I test drove an auto, so obviously I will have to test drive that. But, I was wondering what some of the more experienced TDI drivers experiences are with a manual transmission vs. an automatic transmission.

Thanks
I have a 5 speed manual (03) and a DSG (09). So I would recommend the 6 speed manual.We got the DSG because the overwhelming percentage of mileage is in a rolling parking lot daily commute and the 2 commuters that use the car one no longer wanted to shift and the other never wanted to learn stick. VW has NEVER mated a stout manual to their Jetta's, even less so with their automatics. If their automatics were any good, let alone just plain good, they would have never have considered the DSG. The DSG is really just an computer shifted (aka "automatic") 6 speed manual.

Not only is there an app 1,000 premium for the DSG, and 40k interval (expensive) DSG maintenance, but the cost of eventual repairs (if you want to keep it past a couple of hundred thousand miles is as a min 4 x's greater. In addition, the POTENTIAL for needing repairs SOONER is greater for the DSG (greater complexity) than for WELL cared for and driven 6 speed manual.

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
The funny thing is there are a host of folks who get the DSG because they dont want to shift and almost all those people want to play hyperactive ("video games???") shifting with DSG's tiptronic !!????

It would seem to me that because of the DSG's complexities, that one would necessarily want to be MORE gentle with it !!!!?????

Last edited:

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
As an owner of manual transmission vehicles only, I must point out that there are lots of situations that are inconvenient because many of my friends can't drive stick:

1. Needing a ride to the hospital
2. Needing a ride back from the bar
3. Needing a nap on a long road trip

Still, I resist owning an automatic-transmission anything.

roadrunner1659

TDI
None
i plan on test driving the 6spd manual...

Is it a heavy clutch pedal or soft? How is the gearbox, smooth or notchy?

pdh

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2014 BMW 328d, X Drive
My 2006.5 Jetta TDI is a very EZ stick to drive. Clutch is soft, gears are ez to find. Finding reverse takes some getting use to but I love this stick. Lots of torque on diesel also makes it ez and fun.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Not to mention that the TDI is much friendlier in heavy traffic vs. the gasser-anything. The TDI has so much torque that you don't have to shift nearly as often and the surge in, say, 3rd is amazing (as long as the road isn't too hilly). That there is fun driving~! :D

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
DJB said:
and while the DSG isn't a true auto it's still expensive to service.
And that is precisely the reason IMO why they are expensive to service. With technology like that comes great maintenance costs.:(

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
procupine14 said:
And that is precisely the reason IMO why they are expensive to service. With technology like that comes great maintenance costs.:(
I think the only reason why the maintenance costs are so high is because for whatever reason the R/R of the filter and fluids were engineered to be DIFFICULT, albeit time consuming to do. If it were DESIGNED to be like say topside engine oil and filter change.....;), it would still be one of the more costlier things as you need 5/6 L @ 13 per liter + filter.