Common rail heads

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
It is interesting that your v280 casting has a deeper pocket. That allows more space for spring. Also gives us an idea about thickness of inner casting.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Sure but deeper pocket (as in 4mm deeper) means a lot less seat pressure with stock spring.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Sure but deeper pocket (as in 4mm deeper) means a lot less seat pressure with stock spring.
Agreed. But it gives more flexibility on custom spring design.

Edit. Just to clarify. The small package size (od and length) severely constraints spring design options. One of the most common themes I ran into was coil bind when achieving desired seat pressure. If someone has a manufacturer with special wire stock, such as ovalized or square spring stock it gives more breathing room.

Last edited:

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
I've made custom upgrade springs for 2.5tdi and they are pretty close. Two different types, for older and newer head design. OD21.2, ID15.6mm. Specs:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
FACTS: i have heads V260 V270 and V280
V280 is worked going in my car
V270 is the last revision-model

Guys consider the cyl head i have is stock how seat put it in my leon fr 2010 170hp. Valve profile and seat works accounts for maximum 0.1mm
Exhaust spring seats exactly 3.5mm higher towards the camshaft compared to intake ones

This below is the V260 has also 3.5mm deeper pockets in exhaust. just measured. All heads are identical. No freakin doubt about it.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Thanks for sharing. I will take a closer look tonight. Seat pressure looks about the same as 2.0 cr on top spring. I am not sure about k value comparison off hand. Your second spring has high seat pressure but k value seems low. What is your min. safe spring length on these?
I've made custom upgrade springs for 2.5tdi and they are pretty close. Two different types, for older and newer head design. OD21.2, ID15.6mm. Specs:

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Upper one is with bit higher K-value due roller type followers allow more pressure than older finger followers. Also there is height difference 39mm vs. 43mm. Green line is the the limit for those. On v6 39mm spring has 30mm install height, so about 25kg and maximum lift 9mm with 51kg. (stock has 16kg/36kg) Can't remember install height for finger follower head that has 43mm springs, but somehow remember about 35mm install height so about 19kg seat pressure and with 9mm lift around 42kg. (stock 14/29)

Limit of those springs is on the green line. It's no big deal to make customized for 2.0tdi if specs are given.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Ok, heres the deal. I did my measurement on a oval port scrap V6 2.7 tdi head. These have in and ex same pocket depth approx 31mm installed height. I went out and measured a cracked caga head, and there it is as our romanian friend pointed out 3.5 mm more room on inlet side. Nonetheless the spring I sourced provide approx 9 kg over stock 17kg at inlet.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Because you're doing it wrong mate. Thats why.
You have to measure spring height mounted from the bottom ..not from where you're measuring now.
Spring pockets are different on ex and in valves,trust me in this

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Not on all heads my friend.. his measurements match with my 2.7 tdi head. It seems some 2.0 head have deeper inlet pocket and some don't

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
I have v260 v270 and v280 . all identical.
In the photo he is measuring spring height wrong because he cant reach the pocket with caliber.

Measure spring height from top of head.
Take spring out and measure spring pocket . substract and you get installed spring height.

Is he doing it wrong on purpose? W t f?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I have v260 v270 and v280 . all identical.
In the photo he is measuring spring height wrong because he cant reach the pocket with caliber.

Measure spring height from top of head.
Take spring out and measure spring pocket . substract and you get installed spring height.

Is he doing it wrong on purpose? W t f?
I really give up with you.. just read what I say (if u can do that) the difference in pocket dept can the easiest be measured from the flat surface around the inj hole. I have measured 2.7 head where pockets are equal, just as on a biturbo 2.0 head. I also measured a cr120 head v280 with the 3.x mm deeper pocket on the inlet side. Its nit because you measure 3 random heads u measured all..

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Identical cyl head to what he's measuring. Really hard to believe identical part numbers from same factory with different measures.

And these are the only 3 models ever made for this engine, what i have here is all identical.

he's got the special one :p

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Maybe both of you should just measure from inj hole surface down and post dimensions. Then there is the least room for error.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
PD vs CR

I found an old post that said the PD 2 litre 4V heads were the same for the 140 and the 170 horse versions. The injectors were different but the heads would take any of the injectors. Is the CR head much different as far as ports and valves go, from a PD head. There also was a post in this thread that said 4V heads are better than ported 2V heads. How much different? Going to England in May, so I was thinking of getting a PD 4V head for my BRM if they are better out of the box. I like Darksides build up of BKD that made 300BHP. Thinking of making some 9mm injectors to get away from large low pressure nozzles.