Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Wow! That's the same station that I was at! That's amazing! :)

unitacx

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
nicklockard said:
turn the AC down until you can barely stand it This uses less energy, as our AC is variable.
How so? My '00 Golf has all the appearances of a blended system for the AC adjustment.

nicklockard said:
PS: If you've got big wheels and rubber, ditch them. They suck down fuel.
Not if you increase the pressure accordingly. I'm running 42/44 on 17". More data at http://www.vredestein.com but essentially VW's "doorpost" numbers (filler door numbers??) are put there as suggestions for people buying lottery tickets. At least they have nothing to do with tire pressure.

On fueling
On my W123 Mercedes, the truckstop nozzles are always preferred. The filler even has a little half-moon that usually fits the nozzle to hold it. The half-moon has lightning holes to vent the air. One time I think I filled it in something like 15 seconds.

- stan
'00 Golf (Rocketchip II, 520, TT 17 wheels, Valeo ECE lights)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The AC is blended, but the compressor is variable displacement. It works to keep the system pressure constant (and therefore the temperature at the evaporator constant). Ever notice how you don't hear it clicking on and off?

-Jason

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
unitacx said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard
turn the AC down until you can barely stand it This uses less energy, as our AC is variable.

How so? My '00 Golf has all the appearances of a blended system for the AC adjustment.
__. It's blended for the hot air but "variable" for the cold. If you have it set to full-cold on the red/blue arc and turn the fan speed all the way down, it will consume less energy off the engine. One of the guys who worked in my office at Land Rover is now on the engineering staff at VWOA and I've meant to ask him the effect of setting the temp control between cold and hot when the a/c is on. My guess is that it's "blended" too and won't give you the benefits of turning down the fan -- but maybe there's some effect as there would be less load on the compressor, but I don't think it's a noticeable benefit compared to the fan speed benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard
PS: If you've got big wheels and rubber, ditch them. They suck down fuel.

Not if you increase the pressure accordingly. I'm running 42/44 on 17". More data at http://www.vredestein.com but essentially VW's "doorpost" numbers (filler door numbers??) are put there as suggestions for people buying lottery tickets. At least they have nothing to do with tire pressure.
(snip) - stan
'00 Golf (Rocketchip II, 520, TT 17 wheels, Valeo ECE lights)
__. The doorpost numbers are the VW numbers set with reference to NHTSA requirements for load carrying, and a compromise for stability, braking, economy, and comfort. Since the idea for "comfort" for a lot of people is hauling Gramma to the mall, manufacturer's idea of the best compromise is often quite different than ours. I run *much* increased tire pressures over the doorpost numbers, but I do so for economy and handling benefits -- and with the understanding that I may be loosing some on the stability, braking, and comfort.

__. The doorpost figures aren't for me but I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand -- in fact, they may be fine for some people and they're valuable as the starting place for how your tires should be behaving. And we should be aware that when we go to pressures that are "better" for us, we are affecting the manufacturer's compromise and we must take that into consideration.

__. And fat tires -- despite being blown up hard etc. -- are almost always poorer on fuel economy than a comparable smaller tire; although a change in rolling radius can give you benefits (but this is rarely acheived with going to "bigger wheels", the tires are accordingly less in size which leaves a similar overall circumference/radius).

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I stand corrected on AC statement

I stand corrected on my AC statement. Jason summed it up clearly how our AC systems work.

Also, MrGutWrench cleared up the ambiguity (;P) of my claim by correctly pointing out that fan speed and not temperature selector position determines AC energy usage. I wasn't clear. Sorry.

Regarding big wheels/rubber...my claim stands.

Last edited:

AMMOENDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
c5loadmaster said:
Dave,
Wouldn't it be nice of you could buy B20 "on base". We recently relocated to So Cal and discovered that D2 was sold on Penelton MC Base. They are the only military instulation I have been on that had a diesel pump. Even when I was at Ramstein AB, you could only purchase diesel "on the economy" but at least I had the coupons.
Rob
C5
When I was stationed at Bitburg AB, we had diesel on base. I rented a car from Rent a Wreck over at Spangdahlem when I was stationed over there while I was waiting for my new 1989 VW GOLF GL to be delivered. The rental was a diesel but I still got good mileage form the Golf while I was over there. Man I miss the Autobahn. My average speed on the Autobahn was about 110 mph and still got around 10 mph. Not bad for a gasser.:) ;)
Ammo Endi

SLAB

compu_85 said:
The AC is blended, but the compressor is variable displacement. It works to keep the system pressure constant (and therefore the temperature at the evaporator constant). Ever notice how you don't hear it clicking on and off?

-Jason
very close.

mk4 compressors are just standard sanden (most, but other brands are same style) axial pumps. they are NOT *TRUE* variable displacement. they have clutches, and no external control for its refrigerant flow. they may have internal regulators for pressure, but it is still a standard style compressor.

we have an expansion valve in the evaporator that varies the size of the restriction on the entry side of the evaporator to maintain evap temp (slightly above freezing point) and that can control pressure. that keeps the compressor form needing to cycle.

you are right that the compressor wont cycle like older american cars, but a true variable displacement compressor can be seen on all MK5 cars, the new B6 passat, and all touaregs.

that compressor HAS NO CLUTCH and is always engaged. it has a pulse-width modulated frequency valve in the back of the compressor that effectively makes the compressor itslef PWM capable, without a power-hungry, high EMF/discharge clutch. it is more efficient than our clutch type.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
Trying to get this back on topic...

After 774.2 miles, it was time for a fill-up, so I pulled into my favorite Gulf station today. A Ford pickup was at one of the two diesel pumps, so I pull up to the other pump... and it's not there! :mad: The attendant told me someone crashed into it and they had to remove it.

Hopefully they'll install a brand new pump at that spot, because the remaining diesel pump is definitely of an older generation, and the display is getting dim and scratched-up, so it's hard to read the numbers. At least it's electronic -- I've seen some stations where the diesel pump is so old, it still uses a mechanical counter! :eek:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
One local station has a mechanical pump behind the station, and a CCTV camera pointing at the back of the pump to get the gallons and amount due. :eek:

And, the driveway to that pump is very tight - a Geo Metro would have trouble fitting back there - let alone diesel trucks... although one day we had to get a gallon there in a diesel truck.

Just one gallon, so we had enough to get to the interstate and get real fuel.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Ya learn something new every day!

Wow, I had no idea about the compressors. I still hear newer American cars constantly clicking off and on, even in cold weather. I try to run my A/C as little as practical.

Keeping it on topic... Yesterday I filled up at a Scott station in Greenwood, MS where there was only one diesel pump, with 2 nozzles. One side had a big Dodge and the other - a poorly parked state trooper! He was inside just gabbing with someone, blocking my dang pump. After waiting patiently on the truck, the trooper finally left and I swooped in to take his space - only to be met head on with a city works truck vying for that spot.

I rudely moved right on up to the diesel pump, then he rolled down his window and said, "I'll let you have that one, you need it more than I do!" or something to that effect. With a big smile on my face I thanked him and he found another (gas) pump. I guess he knew I needed diesel. :)

That is the first time I can recall where someone actually moved for me so I could fill up. Courtesy is still alive in the south. :)

Trev0rBr

TDI
1981 2 door diesel Jetta
i was filling up my rabbit with some diesel, and as usual some body had to ask if it was diesel while i wasobviously filling it with diesel. this person was driving a taurus or some other junk. so he asked, and i said "no, it's gas but i fill it half and half and i get way better mileage this way, you should try it too."

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Trev0rBr said:
i was filling up my rabbit with some diesel, and as usual some body had to ask if it was diesel while i wasobviously filling it with diesel. this person was driving a taurus or some other junk. so he asked, and i said "no, it's gas but i fill it half and half and i get way better mileage this way, you should try it too."
why would you do that?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Trev0rBr said:
That was just not nice.

Bill

VictrolaJazz

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle GL 5-Spd Sunset Orange
SLAB said:
that keeps the compressor form needing to cycle.

you are right that the compressor wont cycle like older american cars, but a true variable displacement compressor can be seen on all MK5 cars, the new B6 passat, and all touaregs.

that compressor HAS NO CLUTCH and is always engaged.
Amazing how, if you wait long enough, things come full circle. My '53 Cadillac with AC has a compressor with no clutch--when the engine is running, the compressor is turning--turning the switch on triggers a solenoid which places a blockage in the line and forces freon through the compressor whether it wants to go there or not. You were given a generator-only belt and instructed to use it during winter months to disable the compressor. Consequently, compressors in '53 Cadillac/Buick/Oldsmobiles didn't last very long. My '56 has a fully integrated clutch which makes the compressor turn all the time when the system is on, but idle when off. This sytem endured until the late '70s, when the cheaper cycling-clutch systems were introduced, which lasted until recently. I've noticed my new Altima has a non-cycling compressor--it will run all the time even on a 45 degree day. However, the '07 Mazdaspeed 3 I drove a while back was clicking on and off like a busy little beaver, so I guess were in a period of transition. I much prefer the run-all-the-time-when-the-system-is-on style, to the '59 underdash Frigiking style which cycles--you're always getting "muggy lapses" with those.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
40X40 said:
Originally Posted by Trev0rBr

That was just not nice.
Bill
__. Yeah, I don't know *anybody* who'd be mean enough to do anything like that! :eek: ;) (On the other hand, my naughty/nice card has been spoiled pretty much all year anyway, so a little more isn't going to increase the hot water I'm in with Santa!)

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
You Could Do With A Little Kindness...

Trev0rBr said:
Why would you do this?:confused: :confused: :confused:

overbite

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
Half and Half, awesome. That is what you would call a common sense test. If you are not smart enough to figure it out than that is what you get.

TurboDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Trev0rBr said:
:D ROFLMAO:D OOOOH! I love it!!! Darwins theory at work!

Last edited:

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I think that the argument of "I shouldn't have to know the difference between diesel and gasoline" doesn't hold water. You (Mr Gasser) are a responsible adult, at least society says so: You can vote, marry, breed, go to war, and drink alcohol. If you do not take the time, not necessarily to understand the differences between Otto and Diesel cycles, but to know that diesel != gasoline, then you do deserve what you get. Too often in our culture, people get shielded from their stupidity by our general rejection of causality, made possible by the people who do NOT reject it. (That's a whole other discussion).

Jimwsea

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL
How can one learn something? One way is by asking. My first time camping, I saw someone start a campfire really easily, so I went over and asked how he did it. He too a minute to explain the teepee method. I thanked him, gathered up the right size kindling and placed it the right way...quick fire.

I'm more than happy to tell someone about the TDI.

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
Funny stuff and the nozzle wouldn't fit anyways. They'd really have to go out of their way for 'better milage'.

TurboDan said:
:D ROFLMAO:D OOOOH! I love it!!! Darwins theory at work!

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
I was traveling in PA or WV and pulled into a TA truck stop. My bug was the only non Semi there and there was about 14 there. They smiled, and asked if my tank would even support the high flow nozzle :) I just grinned and removed my hands from the nozzle.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
scythefwd said:
I was traveling in PA or WV and pulled into a TA truck stop. My bug was the only non Semi there and there was about 14 there. They smiled, and asked if my tank would even support the high flow nozzle :) I just grinned and removed my hands from the nozzle.
Pics please! :D :cool:

It would have been wicked cool if someone could have taken a digital pic of you fueling up your NB surrounded by a convoy of big rigs at the pumps. :cool: I've had almost the same situation happen to me before but didn't have a camera available. :(

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
scythefwd said:
Too bad. The A3's can take the nozzle just fine. Too bad the cut off switch is so sensitive. It's like 20 seconds to get to 14 gallons then another 5 minutes to top it off.

AMMOENDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
40X40 said:
Hey Navy,

She was not being rude, She was showing off her manicure.....

After buying all that gas, she obviously could only afford to have

ONE FINGER DONE.:D

Bill
Actually she was telling him in a rude way that he is # 1.:D :) :rolleyes:

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
darkscout said:
Too bad. The A3's can take the nozzle just fine. Too bad the cut off switch is so sensitive. It's like 20 seconds to get to 14 gallons then another 5 minutes to top it off.
It is nice to be able to use the high flow nozzles, but I only needed like 9 gallons. At the rate those things fill, I was only topping off anyways:)

I wish I had my digital camera out. It was a line of trucks across the front of the pumps with my little blue bug sticking out about 3/4 down the line:)

treedweller2

TDI
04 Golf
scythefwd said:
Man, things get wild up north. If I tried that stuff in a TX fuel line, I'd probably get arrested.:D

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
My wife and I drove down to Los Angeles from San Francisco to attend a wedding and stayed there a few days, returning yesterday up through Highway 101. We stopped at Solvang to do some sightseeing and decided to fill at the Arco there. The gas pumps were super busy and there were long lines at each pump. However, I noticed that on the side of the station were 4 diesel pumps separate from the gas pumps. Cool, I thought. Of course, no one was filling at the diesel pumps.

As I was driving off after filling, a later model Toyota Sienna pulled up. The driver had seen my car, and seeing that the lines at the gas pumps were long, probably made an assumption that he could fill at the diesel pumps, since I was pulling away. Remember that there are not too many B5.5 Passat diesels in CA, so he probably thought the pumps were gas pumps. I stopped to see what this guy would do. He stopped at each pump, took a long look, said something to his wife, and pulled over to the next pump. After he had done this to all four pumps, he drove back over to the end of the long line at the gas pumps, which had gotten much longer after his side trip to the diesel pumps. He just looked at me very confused. I drove off at that point, my wife and I cracking up as we drove away...

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Hmph.

dlai said:
As I was driving off after filling, a later model Toyota Sienna pulled up.
I mean, really. I've been keeping up with this thread for a long time. It never ceases to amaze me that people report others trying to swoop over to the diesel pumps, all the sudden assuming they're gaseous because a darn car is there.

Call me stupid (everyone else does) but even I knew as a kid that the lonely, neglected, uncovered and messy pumps weren't for "normal" cars.

This saddens me. Are people really this crazy? Sure I've seen some uncovered gas pumps at the Flying J plazas, for big vehicles. But in general... Isn't it uncommon to find orphaned gas pumps seperate from the herd?

RedInk

Veteran Member
TDI
A4, Teak brown
[OT]Highways...

dlai said:
... returning yesterday up through Highway 101.
Lucky there is internet :)
Know I know how HW 101 looks alike:
http://www.totalescape.com/tripez/trips/101.html
So, HW 101 starts somewhere in Oregon and after 583 miles you are at Southern end of Highway 101?
http://www.milebymile.com/main/Unit...ted_States_Oregon_road_map_travel_guides.html
Gives me a strange feeling: When I drive for 308 km, I've crossed after a 3 hours drive, completly my country and only needed two highways :D
See http://www.koelreuteria.dommel.be/highway.jpg