Timing belt replacement

SnieselDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT
The short:
Can i replaced my timing belt WITHOUT 'special' vw tools?

The Long:
I have owned my Jetta TDI for about 6 months now. I have always done the work on all my gasoline cars. This is my first diesel. I am confident in myself enough to say i have the skill level to replace a timing belt. I have done it a few times before. But can i do it without the special tools. The belts hasent broke. But its about time it's replaced.

Thanks!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I would suggest that you find a club member or go to a guru who has ALL the tools, the right VCDS code reader/diagnostic tool. Find the instructions. This is NOT a gasoline motor. Make sure you replace all in the belt path. Get a bently manual for your car for all the factory procedures. A mistake will cost you an engine. Engines don't come cheap. Do it right the first time. More TDI motors have been blown because of improper procedure, both by DYI and the dealerships.

doublebarrel

TDI
2015 Jetta S TDI
DO NOT try to replace the timing belt without the proper tools.If you have done timing belts before you should be able to do a TDI.But if you are going to do it invest in the proper tools and read up on the proper procedures.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
The short:
Can i replaced my timing belt WITHOUT 'special' vw tools?

The Long:
I have owned my Jetta TDI for about 6 months now. I have always done the work on all my gasoline cars. This is my first diesel. I am confident in myself enough to say i have the skill level to replace a timing belt. I have done it a few times before. But can i do it without the special tools. The belts hasent broke. But its about time it's replaced.

Thanks!
The Short:
NO!

The Long:
This is not a gas engine. Mark and pray TB jobs work fine on gassers, they are death to TDI's. Due to the injection pump and other components in the TB path, and the precise timing requirement of this engine; it is impossible to do the job correctly without the lockdown tools. The cam needs to be precisely located so that valve contact does not occur and the IP needs to be kept in time so that the engine will start. In order to accomplish this and hold the position during belt tightening, the cam and IP sprockets must both be free to rotate while you tighten the belt. The purpose of the lockdown tools is to hold the cam and IP in position while the sprockets rotate.

If you can turn wrenches and follow directions, you can change the timing belt. But you need the tools, and you need to not cut corners. If that is the original timing belt, you are about 35k miles and 3 years overdue. The timing belt interval for your car is 100k miles or 5 years. Stick to that, or you will be facing a large repair bill. The clock is no longer ticking, the belt (and water pump, tensioner and 3 rollers) are way overdue for replacement.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Also, if your TB breaks you will be paying about $2500 (including labor) in costs to have the head rebuilt.

And...when you replace the timing belt you MUST replace everything in its path and all stretch bolts. The link below has all the parts you need to replace with the timing belt:
http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=349

As others have said, you cannot replace this TB without using the proper lockdown tools and vcds. If you try you are just asking for trouble. You can rent tools from several vendors.

r72gsaol

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, 99 NB
I have been a mechanic for the past 30 years on cars and aircraft. At one time I was a factory trained VW mechanic at a dealer ( may mean I know nothing!). I bought my first TDI last year and it needed a timing belt. After reading around here I figured there was no way I was going to risk it. I got the tools and I am glad I did.

I have done two TB jobs so far. The first one 23,000 miles ago. They are fairly easy but the job requires the tools. You can get by with a drill bit for the IP but the crank and cam locks are a must as is a torque wrench and Vag Com. There are many people who rent all the tools for around $45 and there is probably someone near you that has a Vag Com. Not much more to spend considering the risk of not doing it right.

Also, make sure you buy the kit from a reputable source.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
There's a post around here with the dimensions for the tools. I made my own set for the ALHs but bought the crank lock for my BEW. Timing belts aren't rocket science. I've done 3 ALHs and 1 BEW. The 3.0 plymouth minivan I did last weekend was way worse than any VW I've done.

You do need access to VCDS to check the timing afterwards but if everything was done right it'll be close enough for you to meet up with someone who has it.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
On the ALH a crank lock isn't needed... (I just put the crankshaft a tiny bit retarded before tightening the tensioner, and it moves right into position...)

The back of a ~6mm drill bit will lock the pump, but you definitely need a camshaft locking bar, some sort of device to counter-hold the cam pulley while loosening (do NOT leave the cam lock in place when loosening or tightening the sprocket!!!!!), some type of puller to knock the camshaft pulley off the camshaft (or go old school, drill a hole in the back and use a punch - not really in favor around here), some sort of device to tighten the tensioner (some people have used bent-nose pliers for this... can't be too comfortable...)

Here's a thread with the dimentions of the tools: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=148798

Here's the procedure: http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf (small error at end... the part when you use Vag-Com/VCDS...) I wish Oldpoopie would point to his new checklist (I lost the link)... here's my version of his old checkoff list: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/A4_Timing_Belt_Checklist.doc See also http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/a4_how_to_index.htm

DO NOT BUY THE PARTS from a vendor in North Carolina (or on eBay - unless form MetalMan!!!! There are many reliable vendors around here metalmanparts idparts boraparts dieselgeek and a couple of others...

Good luck,

Yuri

USCGChips

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG Toffee Brown
I understand that... But how would one become to be a 'guru' if they dont work on the cars?
SnieselDiesel,
Where in Virginia are you? If you're anywhere close to Gloucester, there is a guy here in town who works on nothing but Mercedes and VW. He's been in business here for like 41 yrs. He quoted me a price to replace my TB for $270.00 + parts. That's a heck of a deal !

Chip

zukvw

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle, 04 jetta pd
i recently ordered my timing belt kit from blau, i am actually in the process of doing my timing belt, the kit i ordered was like $280, but it has everything- including coolant, and extra stuff like cam & crank seals, thermostat, etc....i am very impressed, and the best part is if you buy a kit from them, they will rent you all the tools you need for $40, and i mean all tools including the seal puller & installers, not just timing tools. and just for the record i have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer...

http://www.blauparts.com/

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
i'm glad i posted in here cause now i'll be able to find this info again, thanks!

i recently ordered my timing belt kit from blau, i am actually in the process of doing my timing belt, the kit i ordered was like $280, but it has everything- including coolant, and extra stuff like cam & crank seals, thermostat, etc....i am very impressed, and the best part is if you buy a kit from them, they will rent you all the tools you need for $40, and i mean all tools including the seal puller & installers, not just timing tools. and just for the record i have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer...

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta

The only thing I do not like about their kits is that they use plastic impeller waterpumps.

IDparts is currently around $290 for their kit and it includes a metal impelled waterpump.

zukvw

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle, 04 jetta pd
yaknow, i hadnt got to that part yet, and i was about to say you were wrong, but i only just looked in the box, and yes its a plastic impeller....dam

update- i was a little upset that i didnt recieve, a metal impellar as my water pump failed for this exact reason (plastic impeller sheared off pump), so i called blau, they told me that only there alh kits come with the metal impeller. now bew water pumps are made out of high grade pps plastic, that has very high temp properties, which prevent these failures, the fins are also molded at a better angle to flow better than metal, also it has a heady duty bearing.....now this info was given directly over the phone to me, but he also said they have a video on their site explaining this... so in conclusion, i feel better now.....hope this helps others, thankyou for your comment turbocharged....

Last edited:

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
i think there was a similar discussion on A4 water pumps. something about the original ones were made of plastic that broke and then aftermarket was using metal. a few years later OEM started using this "pps" plastic and the same thing has been said. better flow equal sturdiness etc...

shuswap

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW auto
I was told by one prominent supplier that the metal impellers were discontinued, but that they might be able to dig one up out of their old stock, if I insisted.

As it unfolded, I went with another supplier (DieselGeek) and after confirming that a metal part would be shipped.....that's what arrived. Not sure about the 'discontinued' statement from the other supplier. I don't even know if the plastic parts are a problem, but the OEM pump that came out was metal.

Last edited:

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Back to the OP's question.

Most conventional cars have timing marks on the gears which correspond to marks on the inner covers. The ALH series has a taper fit cam sprocket, an adjustable rotary pump and is an interference engine. You need the following tools to do this job correctly:
Cam lock
Pump Pin
Pin spanner
Cam gear puller or a small brass punch and hammer-certain years only.
Cam gear holder
You will also need a 5mm hex bit, misc. wrenches and sockets, pliers, cable clamp pliers and a jack to support the engine. In order to adjust the pump you need vag-com.

MadScience

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5spd; 2002 Golf GL TDI 5psd; 1998 Beetle TDI 5spd (sold); 2001 Jetta TDI 5spd swap
I did my first TDI TB job a few weeks ago. I have done done gasser TB jobs before on interference engines without special tools, but the TDI is different. I wouldn't do the job without the right tools. Aside from the risk of engine damage, it would be a giant hassle trying to do it without them. I rented the tools this time, but will probably make them before my TB is due for another change. I made an even 'stubbier' 5mm allen driver which worked well. With everything lined up my Golf started and drove fine (in fact better than before as the timing marks did not line up perfectly with the old belt). Luckily there is a guru up the street from me and he tweaked the timing for me.

I use a metalman kit and I was impressed.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
SnieselDiesel,
Where in Virginia are you? If you're anywhere close to Gloucester, there is a guy here in town who works on nothing but Mercedes and VW. He's been in business here for like 41 yrs. He quoted me a price to replace my TB for $270.00 + parts. That's a heck of a deal !

Chip

Maybe 41 years but OFTEN these are the guys that SKIP the lockdown to do it quickly.

No tools, No VCDS to set timing then NO DEAL!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I was told by one prominent supplier that the metal impellers were discontinued, but that they might be able to dig one up out of their old stock, if I insisted.

As it unfolded, I went with another supplier (DieselGeek) and after confirming that a metal part would be shipped.....that's what arrived. Not sure about the 'discontinued' statement from the other supplier. I don't even know if the plastic parts are a problem, but the OEM pump that came out was metal.
Discontinued from his supplier.

KMWilliams

Veteran Member
TDI
06 NB TDI
Maybe 41 years but OFTEN these are the guys that SKIP the lockdown to do it quickly.

No tools, No VCDS to set timing then NO DEAL!
In my general area, shops like that will up charge 100% for parts. Their cost is $250, they charge you $500. If you say you have the parts, all of a sudden the labor rate changes.

Not some much of deal then.

jjohnv

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta upsolute chip (2003 engine)
to get back to SnieselDiesel's original question, can you do a alh timing belt without the special tools? imho, yes and no. You need to follow the procedures to the tee. If you don't rent or buy the vw tool, you will need to fashion something close to vw tools, so what's the point. the one tool you will absolutely need is a vag-com. no way to dial in the timing without one. A guru and a case of beer should suffice on that point. If you have to pay some one...expect to spend 500 to 600, more than that and my eyebrows begin to raise...

v_lombardi

TDI
2001 golf, m/t
this is what i used to lock the cam
....and i used a drill bit for the pump.

worked out fine.

vin

Last edited: