View Single Post
Old June 9th, 2011, 20:33   #51
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)
Default Is this The End?

So, just when I finally got my Rally Armour mudflaps adjusted just right...

...the clutch rattle got worse.

When it became hard to shift gears without matching revs, I knew the transmission would have to come off and the cluch/throwout bearing/flywheel would need to be looked at. The car had given me plenty of warning, and I had driven it for a few thousand km with the clutch rattle. At this point, after 10 years and over 435,000 km my wife and I decided to buy a new car.

On Saturday May 21st we signed a deal on a new Kia Forte 5 EX with a 6 speed manual. We would take delivery of the Kia Monday May 30th. So the clutch in the Golf only had to make it one more week. The plan was that when we got the new car I would park the Golf in the driveway and take the transmission out in my spare time.

In that last week driving the Golf the gears became harder and harder to engage. On Fiday afternoon, I was making what would have been the Golf's last official run before retirement: picking my daughter up from school. Half way there a rumbling started and pushing in the clutch no longer disconnected the drive train properly. I could get it into neutral, barely, and I knew the end was near. I put it in to a few more gears and thought I would make it to her school. I made a couple of right turns, but something was squealing and the whole car was shaking. I coasted down the hill slowly towards the entrance to the school parking lot, but when I got to the driveway, first gear would not engage without bucking and stalling. We never made it in to the parking lot. I found reverse and jerked and shook the car back to a spot on next to the curb.

I had been reluctant to buy a new car, but it turned out the timing was exactly right. While waiting for the tow truck my daughter reminded me that she had told me several times when fixing the Golf that I should just buy a new car. My daughter is 5 years old. I explained that I enjoyed fixing my car and I have learned a lot.

The End?

Sprint 520's / RC3 / turbo delete
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://youtube.com/narfblast

Last edited by NarfBLAST; June 9th, 2011 at 20:36.
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06492 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 18.44 Kb. compressed to 16.67 Kb. by saving 1.77 Kb. (9.59%)]