2010 TDI stumbling problem

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
was a little bored and looked at Illinois lemon law real quick on google. Looks to be straight up refund full amount or replace type wording, no mention of subtracting any amount for fair use like some states which is good. One thing that did bug me though was a mention of statutory warranty period being 1 year or 12k miles, which you appear to have exceeded mileage wise. Anyhow, was just a quick glance for my own curiosity, could be outdated or just flat out wrong, if not in an applicable context or something. Anyhow, best of luck to you with it. If they take it down that road, hopefully you get a nice new car at very minimal if any cost, and that the whole process is done quickly for ya.
There are no similarly equipped 2010/2011 Golf TDIs in the USA!, (listed in VW's search)
There are 4 with Xenon and no NAV but they are all listed as sold.
There are a few more with NAV and no Xenon lights, but are already marked as sold, sale pending or sold pending delivery (they are orders being built and tagged as built to order and already sold).

Looks like the end of January for delivery of an ordered vehicle.
Trying to workout a trade up to an Audi A3, but that does not look like that will work.
The sales manager said that when you hit the upper end Golf most people switch over to the Audi A3 TDI.
when I originally ordered my Golf the Audi A3 TDI was not even announced officially.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
OK, so I think I have an "upper end Golf"; the only thing missing from my car is the Nav. I paid $25k plus tax. I have to believe that an A3 TDI is significantly more expensive than this. I just ran the Audi configurator web site, and came up with an A3 TDI for $31,600 without adding anything to it. Oh, and it looks like a 6-speed manual tranny isn't even an option.

No thanks.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
OK, so I think I have an "upper end Golf"; the only thing missing from my car is the Nav. I paid $25k plus tax. I have to believe that an A3 TDI is significantly more expensive than this. I just ran the Audi configurator web site, and came up with an A3 TDI for $31,600 without adding anything to it. Oh, and it looks like a 6-speed manual tranny isn't even an option.

No thanks.
yeah, I thought that too, Likely it was just saleman speak for, "we can't sell anything that expensive off the lot, unless it has rings, gun site, horse or a circular blue checkerboard on the front"
the A3 is targeted at Crossover driving soccer moms needing to move up a class and better MPG.

My Golf was 27k, an Audi A3 TDI premium plus was 32, (5k difference, the way I would order it would be $37)

adrianrbell

TDI
2010 JSW
@ those of you who've gotten replacement cars via Lemon Laws... did you go for another TDI? If so, did you experience the stumble on those cars, too? I can't imagine that the new-build 2011 TDIs are any better... is the stumble issue isolated to a few vehicles? i can't imagine that VW is building new cars without it if they can't fix the ones already on the road...

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
I can't imagine that the new-build 2011 TDIs are any better
Mine is a 2011. It has done it several times. When it happens, it always seems to be 3rd at about 25mph, and never more then once per trip when it does happen. Also never enough to come close to stalling the car, but you can certainly feel when it happens. If I was quick on the clutch and smashed it in during one....who knows if it would die, havent tried it. I bet it is part of some emmision related operational adjustment, albeit poorly executed one, and not something actually wrong. Just a wild guess based on the consistency and when it happens.

epc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Mine is a 2011. It has done it several times. When it happens, it always seems to be 3rd at about 25mph, and never more then once per trip when it does happen. Also never enough to come close to stalling the car, but you can certainly feel when it happens. If I was quick on the clutch and smashed it in during one....who knows if it would die, havent tried it. I bet it is part of some emmision related operational adjustment, albeit poorly executed one, and not something actually wrong. Just a wild guess based on the consistency and when it happens.
I had pretty much the same problem as you. Maybe not exactly at 25mph. And I had it happened in either 2nd or 4th gear, though the 3rd was the most common one.

Then I saw this post:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2264550&postcount=28

"-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 2,500 rpms.
-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 3,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long."

I followed the advice and have not experienced the stumble since. Of course, common sense prevails. Rev slowly to 2500 RPM's when the engine is cold. But if there is traffic, you just have to either rev up faster or shift earlier.

In hindsight, when I did experience the stumble before, I was driving extra gently: rev up slowly, and up shift early at around 2000 rpm.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I had pretty much the same problem as you. Maybe not exactly at 25mph. And I had it happened in either 2nd or 4th gear, though the 3rd was the most common one.

Then I saw this post:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2264550&postcount=28

"-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 2,500 rpms.
-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 3,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long."

I followed the advice and have not experienced the stumble since. Of course, common sense prevails. Rev slowly to 2500 RPM's when the engine is cold. But if there is traffic, you just have to either rev up faster or shift earlier.

In hindsight, when I did experience the stumble before, I was driving extra gently: rev up slowly, and up shift early at around 2000 rpm.
I get the stumble whether I follow that advice or not. It's not during the acceleration, it's when I hit coasting that the stumble happens. I'll row up to, say, 4th gear/40mph in the city, and when my foot eases back on the 'go' pedal when I hit cruising speed, I will occasionally get that stumble.

The above advice from Drivbiwire is mostly geared towards the turbo and rings. Our 'stumbling' issue seems to be a fueling issue. For some reason the ECU is not telling the injectors to inject for a split second under light throttle.

The Mk4's (ALH engines, at least) had a 'slow-down shudder' that would happen as you coasted down to a stop with the car out of gear. For some reason the engine felt like it was running rough for a moment. The thing that fixed it? Rocketchip. :) Somehow in their tuning, the slow-down-shudder disappeared. Hopefully something similar can be done for my CJAA at some point...

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
The Mk4's (ALH engines, at least) had a 'slow-down shudder' that would happen as you coasted down to a stop with the car out of gear. For some reason the engine felt like it was running rough for a moment. The thing that fixed it? Rocketchip. :) Somehow in their tuning, the slow-down-shudder disappeared. Hopefully something similar can be done for my CJAA at some point...
MK4's problem was fueling as well, mainly the metering was not correct as injectors wore, or when bigger nozzles were installed. (I have felt that, it is like someone tapping on the throttle, when coasting down a long hill, or to a stop.) The injection pump shut off because the load on the motor was negative, then the idle fuel rate was too high to keep going smoothly. This was a fixable condition with Vag-Com.
The MKVI seems to be more of a maintain fixed RPM fueling problem. like the car wants to save fuel by shutting off an injector for a cylinder while running.
The problem was reduced greatly on my car with a new flywheel, and software updates, but other problems were found.

currently there is a problem that was caused by a bad accelerator, but that was masking other problems. currently suspected problems are in the wiring harness

cl2ysta1

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
Well I'm adding my issue also... 2010 JSW manual. Got it in april of this year. Started noticing at 15,000 miles... in 3rd steady speed. it was so slight you could barely notice it.. but i felt it on the gas pedal.. jump forward to now.. 22,000 miles.. and it literally "bucks". Going to call the dealer and make an appointment. Problem is its a random thing and my luck the dealer wont be able to reproduce it.

NovaMoto

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 TDI Golf
Same problem here..

3rd gear, around 55kph and it momentarily feels like it will stall. This usually happens when the engine is cold or just warming up.

Annoying indeed!

Should I go into the dealer and complain? Is there any kind of workaround for this ?

Last edited:

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Finally got word that my golf which has been in the dealer's shop for 14 weeks straight, is getting close to completion, they are road testing it.
They have replaced the Fuel pressure sensors, Temperature sensors, ECM, ECU, wiring harness, another wiring harness, Turbo Actuator, Fuel pressure regulator, accelerator petal, both wiring harnesses again, Turbo.
(the other 20 days were replacing the flywheel, and Control Module J31 (commonly refereed to as the Comfort and Convenience module), but controls the intank fuel lift pump)

Trying to ditch the lemon, but VW is playing hard to get.

at least my shop story is not this bad-
http://montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737105

Max12

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
We had the same problem with ours.
Last week the engine malfunction light came on with the glowplug failure light.
They replaced 2 sensors on VW Canada's suggestion and reset everything.
So far, so good.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Finally got word that my golf which has been in the dealer's shop for 14 weeks straight, is getting close to completion, they are road testing it.
They have replaced the Fuel pressure sensors, Temperature sensors, ECM, ECU, wiring harness, another wiring harness, Turbo Actuator, Fuel pressure regulator, accelerator petal, both wiring harnesses again, Turbo.
(the other 20 days were replacing the flywheel, and Control Module J31 (commonly refereed to as the Comfort and Convenience module), but controls the intank fuel lift pump)

Trying to ditch the lemon, but VW is playing hard to get.

at least my shop story is not this bad-
http://montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737105
Your car's been out of service for 14 consecutive weeks?? Lemon Law in most states is 30 days in the first 12 months of ownership!

nicder

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I own a 2010 golf tdi. I will be at arbitration with vw in the new year. I have had the hessitation, stumble and even what my vw tech called a "what felt like a miss fire" issue. I have gotten no where with vw for three months now. They say it is a normal isssue that has to do with egr cycling. Unfortunately it has to come to me taking the time to go to an arbitrator to get vw to address this issue further. I will be asking for a new dsg model.(was told the auto disguises the hesitation) or my money back. Also have a paint problem from factory. Imperfections between paint and clear coat not noticed until i waxed the car. Vw rep. Wants to repaint but who wants a non factory paint job on a 28,000 dollar car? Please give inputs and advise. WoUld love to go to the hearing with a bunch of complaints with attached phone numbers to prove TO the arbitrator that this is a real problem with the tdi engines.

2011tdi

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
I too am having this stuttering issue. Have had the car 3months, 6k km on it now. This problem isnt really a deal breaker so far, but what is horrifying to me is the HPFP failure.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Recently started to notice this stutter myself. About 3 blocks into my drive waiting for a delayed Left and as I went from 1st-2nd it just all out died for a split second even thought I stalled it then it roared back to life. This was by far the worst incident though.

graywagon

TDI
'10 JSW 6M
I do get a shudder, or stutter, or hesitation fairly regularly when the car is just warming up, and I am driving steady in 3rd gear at about 25-30 mph.

Is there any possibility that this is related to the HPFP failure problem that now has NHTSA attention? Sorry, I am not a mechanic, so I have no clue as to whether these problems could be related.

Thanks

jpash

TDI
2010 Jetta
EGR valve software update 2010 jetta dsg

I noticed the stuttering problem when driving at constant speed. I got the flashing warning light ~7,000 mile and brought it in. They updated the software that controls the EGR valve opening. Apparently they are required to have to call VW every time the do this and ask whether to clean the EGR valve. They were told not to. It looks like they're doing a balancing act by between keeping NOx low by EGR recirculation and loss of combusion under very low fuel consumption-high MPG conditions.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
2011 Golf. 3rd gear, 28-32 mph (have seen it slightly in 4th i think). I have a manual, but to me, it feels like an older automatic that's having trouble deciding whether to be in neutral or on the gas while cruising.
Reading all these threads, will be reporting it to dealer so I know it's in the paper work.

MadHatter

TDI
Jetta SportWagen
I have the same stumbling problem on my 2011 Jetta Sportwagen and the dealer did the reflash of the computer and it is still there. About 30 MPH constant speed in 3rd gear and it stumbles or hesitates. Very annoying.
This is a 5000 mile car and it has occurred since new. Anyone got a diagnosis or fix for this yet?

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
Mine's been stumbling on a regular basis since it was new. I did notice it went away this past winter, but now it's back again. It's mildly annoying, but not serious enough to cause me any real concern. I haven't even brought it up to the dealer, as I know from all the posts on these forums that VW doesn't have a fix. Seeing it's being reported on 2011 models confirms that VW hasn't come up with a solution.

I'm no automotive engineer, but I'll bet a future software reflash will finally fix this problem, once VW tracks it down.

Wascally Wabbit

TDI
2010 TDI
Mine's been stumbling on a regular basis since it was new. I did notice it went away this past winter, but now it's back again. It's mildly annoying, but not serious enough to cause me any real concern. I haven't even brought it up to the dealer, as I know from all the posts on these forums that VW doesn't have a fix. Seeing it's being reported on 2011 models confirms that VW hasn't come up with a solution.

I'm no automotive engineer, but I'll bet a future software reflash will finally fix this problem, once VW tracks it down.

I have the same issues but have to agree with the above. Im not too concerned with it.

shadowblue746

TDI
Golf 1.6TDI
my car was very hesitant and jerky to drive especially to drive in traffic but since the 30k service last week it is a changed car. The dealer updated the software. I didnt go into detail with them but suffice to say it has transformed driving it.

tomh2360

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
My 2011 jetta tdi does the.shutter as well... It's annoying, 99% of the time its cruising at around 30 in 3rd gear. Was going to mention it during my 90 day inspection on 10/22. Sounds like it may not do any good, anyone have a solution on this yet?

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
My 2012 has it. 3rd @ 30mph. Very strange. Only 3000 miles on it and this happened, thought I was losing my mind. Glad I found this thread, not so glad its my problem now too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk