Malone CR Stage 4 kit is on the market

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
The Malone CR stage 4 turbo kit is on the market....

That is all.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Ah, I used to dream about that sweet cast stainless manifold. Must resist the draw of the dark side... :D

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Going to need bigger injectors and a pump for over 250hp and that's not cheap either. Stock turbo does 165-170whp @ 3800rpm and dies off by 4200, the smallest option, 1756, is doing around 205whp @ 4500 and 2260s hold power till nearly 5 grand, it's night and day.

550 for an oem quality manifold with fire ring is pretty reasonable, for retaining stock hardware there was a lot of messing about for fitment. A 1756 with the DPF intact outperforms a cr170 with a straight piped exhaust.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 260k........ 2000 golf 2 door 100k.
I’m assuming that price doesn’t include tuning, which would be in the $700 range.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
yes for non-existing customers custom tuning will be 800 and it's recommended that you're familiar with VCDS for data logging and general diagnostics. The tunes have been extensively tested over the last 3-4 years on a bunch of vehicles, but without knowing what's going on with the engine we won't be able to tell what the issue is *if* you have a problem.

LECDO

TDI
2014 Audi A6 Prestige
yes for non-existing customers custom tuning will be 800 and it's recommended that you're familiar with VCDS for data logging and general diagnostics. The tunes have been extensively tested over the last 3-4 years on a bunch of vehicles, but without knowing what's going on with the engine we won't be able to tell what the issue is *if* you have a problem.

Still waiting to actually see Stage 3 tune results. Disappointing so far..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Still waiting to actually see Stage 3 tune results. Disappointing so far..

We don't sell turbos for the 3L TDIs, the power output is going to depend on the turbo and fueling mods. Bobby singh and darkside have this well documented.

Last edited:

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Going to need bigger injectors and a pump for over 250hp and that's not cheap either. Stock turbo does 165-170whp @ 3800rpm and dies off by 4200, the smallest option, 1756, is doing around 205whp @ 4500 and 2260s hold power till nearly 5 grand, it's night and day.

550 for an oem quality manifold with fire ring is pretty reasonable, for retaining stock hardware there was a lot of messing about for fitment. A 1756 with the DPF intact outperforms a cr170 with a straight piped exhaust.
Of course, supporting mods are always a requisite - and tend to end up adding up to be just as much as the main power upgrade.

What kind of power can be pulled out of a 2260? I'd really love to be as close to 300 whp as possible, with a good powerband for the track.

I think my biggest hang up about diving into serious power mods on this car is just the ROI in terms of horsepower. I always forget that the RPM's you can spin are the real limiter for TDI's. The specs on the 2260 seem to indicate it to be similarly sized to a IS38 off of an R... and I know you can make damn near 400 HP with one on a GTI, so it's a capable size.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Willing participant here to test an oval port manifold... ;)

I have the TIP elbow and v-band adapter from this kit on my Mk7. 2260vklr mated to a Rawtek downpipe and working great.

LECDO

TDI
2014 Audi A6 Prestige
Not sure what you are talking about. My stage 3 Malone tune with hybrid CR 170 put down 221hp/341tq to the wheels.

Pretty darn not bad if you ask me.

Easy speedy...
My upgraded turbo put oil in exhaust. Not suggesting anything bad about Malone tunes. Had a stage 2 and it worked well. But not jumping to a 4 just yet

LECDO

TDI
2014 Audi A6 Prestige
We don't sell turbos for the 3L TDIs, the power output is going to depend on the turbo and fueling mods. Bobby singh and darkside have this well documented.

And we’ve chatted a bit in the past. Never said Malone sold 3L turbos.
The turbo (gtd2872vrk) was from Darkside

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
EA288.....EA288......EA288. It's time we see more for this engine! I'm thinking a 2056 might be a good choice for a quick spool and a nice power curve to the top. But I rely on suggestions mostly. :)

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Of course, supporting mods are always a requisite - and tend to end up adding up to be just as much as the main power upgrade.

What kind of power can be pulled out of a 2260? I'd really love to be as close to 300 whp as possible, with a good powerband for the track.

I think my biggest hang up about diving into serious power mods on this car is just the ROI in terms of horsepower. I always forget that the RPM's you can spin are the real limiter for TDI's. The specs on the 2260 seem to indicate it to be similarly sized to a IS38 off of an R... and I know you can make damn near 400 HP with one on a GTI, so it's a capable size.
Going to need injectors past ~220whp, especially for a shorter duration for track use (everything boils down to sustained EGTs). 2260 will do around 250, looking at a hybrid turbo, rods, pump, injectors, LSD, head studs, head porting, additional gauges etc. Wouldn't expect 300whp to be reliable long term on a stock cjaa block for endurance racing.

An OEM 2260 with injectors, LSD, and head porting would probably be the best route reliability wise. The powerband is flat from 3000-4500 rather than building like a gasser, it'd be faster than an equivalent gti. Newer gt25 non VGT like what boxeer is running would be better for a dedicated race car since turbine flow will be better and help manage EGTs, wider powerband up top.

Past ~35 psi and 125whp/L with a diesel the price goes way up and reliability is going to be questionable. People have done 500whp+ on the 3L BMWs with nitrous, how long they'll hold together is the real question.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh great.../just bought a 2015 Highline wagon....last thing I needed to see ;)
Your '15 has oval exhaust ports unfortunately, this kit only fits the round ports from '09-'14. If you get the right turbo and your own manifold, some of the bits of this kit will work.

Bluecatky

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd Manual
Not sure what you are talking about. My stage 3 Malone tune with hybrid CR 170 put down 221hp/341tq to the wheels.

Pretty darn not bad if you ask me.
I'm looking to go stage three in the future and have been looking into supporting mods for the cr170. Could you tell me what you did to yours?

YanCT

TDI
1.6 TDI - 207hp - 420nm
Hello all

I have a 1.6tdi CLHA engine modded to 215 hp and 400nm (factory is 105hp - 250nm)

Mods are as follow :

- Original turbo (GTD1244vz) has been replaced with the MK7 GTD's Turbo (GTD1449vz)(max press. 1.8bars)
- DPF + Catalyst + EGR has been removed (complete downpipe, original rear muffler still here)
- Oil Catch Can
- BMC Carbon Intake
- Original Injectors (04L 130 277 G - Bosch system) has been replaced with the MK7 GTD's Injectors (04L 130 277 AE - Bosch system) in order to reduce injection duration thanks to larger nozzles and this way reduce diesel smoke (there is almost no smoke).

I love EA288 engines.

Below you'll find dyno test. It's not taking advantage of the last mods (injectors) I should have a new dyno.
Torque in low RPM has been increased slightly and I can feel a noticeable improvement in power on high RPMs

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Peak torque should come a lot sooner with that turbo and injectors even on 1.6L. Have to be careful before 2200rpm for the DMF, but 3k rpm is really late.
Awesome setup though!

YanCT

TDI
1.6 TDI - 207hp - 420nm
My boost pressure reaches asked pressure at 2000rpms when logging it on vcds and full trothle on vcds.
Do you thinks it’s too late or seems ok ?
Where from this late torque peak could come from ?

Anyways for the moment I have problem on one or more of injector OR a bad seal involving loss of compression. It happens the most on cold engine and I will have to find and fix it before having other dynos.
(see my other thread).

YanCT

TDI
1.6 TDI - 207hp - 420nm
Peak torque should come a lot sooner with that turbo and injectors even on 1.6L. Have to be careful before 2200rpm for the DMF, but 3k rpm is really late.
Awesome setup though!
What parameters or material would you suggest me to have a look at ? I’ll check what you suggest me to. But the main reason is probably I told my tuner I do not want any smoke on low rpms

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Is there somewhere that walks us through on data logging?