Road Trip 2017

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Please do not share on social media! Thanks..

Although late Spring is all but gone and summer is approaching, we're trying to put together another road trip "toward" Alaska.

We hope to depart Saturday morning, July 8, 2017, pulling the PopUp Camper with two Schnauzers on board. So, we have exactly three weeks to be ready. I have a long "to-do-list" that I just got started on today.

Without all the details, the biggie on the list is installing a new LUK DMF kit.

Below are a few pics in the back yard this afternoon while doing some detailing (long overdue)...:D

Yes, the pic below was taken a few days ago.... notice the reflection on top of the valve cover....:D After almost 5 years and about 72k miles it is about as clean as day one out of the garage! (pressure washer, compressed air and a few towels [always cover the ALT]).

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Sounds like an amazing and fantastic idea. I hope it's smooth sailing and you all have a blast!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Ah, at the moment, the machine is in the garage with motor mounts removed and the metal return coolant pipe removed. I'm changing the location of the return coolant pipe from the expansion tank.

That metal pipe is right over the top bolt for the right motor mount bracket. I've had issues with those bolts breaking. I think it is because the bracket is not sitting flush on the bolt bosses that are cast into the block. Also, while there, I have new OE diesel motor mounts to install.

Other than installing a new LUK DMF and addressing a few minor things, I should have it road ready in a few days.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, it's just a bit over one week from the planned departure. Right now, I still have a lot of work to do! The transmission is still out. Without all the details, I found several minor problems with various items that needed a lot of attention.

So, today, I'll install the trans and begin sorting out all the associated loose ends!

As we plan the itinerary, we're trying to include things we've by-passed on previous trips, particularly en route to the beginning of the Alaska Highway at Dawson City, BC, Canada! Dinosaur Provincial Park in southern Alberta, Canada looks like a good place to swing by and spend a day or two.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You'll enjoy the dino park. I went there a few years back and was really blown away at how great the museum was laid out and the amount of information. I didn't have time to explore the area around there but would do that if there is a next time.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update:

Well, it appears that we will not be departing until Monday, July 10th.

It's been a slow process going through the Van from Bumper to Bumper to make sure all is ready! The last couple of days, I've been working with the AC system.

I do feel we will be on the road by Monday!

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Cheering, and praying for you Andy! Sounds like a fun trip in store.
(now I just need to go back and find the accounts of your previous adventures that I see in your sig line, because I want to read what the Nova Scotia adventure was like)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, Where2, I'm not sure if I documented the Nova Scotia trip. We attended the 2013 TDI Fest at Sunday River Resort near Bethel, Maine. On Monday morning (Labor Day) after the Fest wrapped up, we cut cross country over to the coast to visit Acadia National Park. From there, we followed the coast north to Canada and made our way to Nova Scotia (that's the short of it). My camera broke so the only photos are those taken by my wife.

It is on our bucket list to re-visit that neck of the woods again and spend more time there!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Finally, we are about an hour away from packing "stuff" for the trip.

We will be leaving tomorrow morning at or before 7:00 am.

Destination > Madison, Wisconsin or other points north....

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is a tough one!

The Van AC system experienced catastrophic hose failure south of Edinburgh, Indiana. Without all the details, we went on to Edinburgh for a planned stop at an RV dealer relating to my popup camper. In their parking lot, I confirmed that the high pressure hose did give way in the area above the transmission.

So, we returned home. I am going to use a 10 day window starting tomorrow to address the issue. If I cannot repair or have it repaired (replaced is the right word) to my satisfaction, well, the Road Trip 2017 will be canceled! Otherwise, the van did really well........... nice cool 45f air with ambient pushing 100f out on the road.

Stay tuned ...

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
It is on our bucket list to re-visit that neck of the woods again and spend more time there!
Andy, I was just going to ask, when are you coming back up to Nova Scotia?

Been a little wet this year, but I can't complain much...keeps the grass green and the well full.:)

The Tall Ships Regatta is arriving in Halifax in a couple weeks. Kinda cool to see them all in the Harbor.

If you ever have time to make it over this way again, it's worth it to try and make it over to Newfoundland (Take the ferry from Nova Scotia). There is some cool stuff to see over there, especially when there's big icebergs hitting the beach:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/ferryland-iceberg-traffic-1.4073428

Wife and I drove over a couple years ago to get a dog, and it was just a couple miles from where that iceberg was.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, right now, I have the entire AC system (everything) out of the Van. If I do not get it repaired and road ready over the next 8 days, we plan to scrap the intended trip back to Alaska (we have departed as late as August 4th). However, we do have the northeast in our sites! I've been privately conversing with an individual who owns property in Maine ... most generous invite.

So, Rembrant, there's a possibility we might be heading in that direction....

I found a good website for AC stuff.... coldhose.com! But, hopefully, my local source of assistance will come through for me this week!

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Can you post pictures of your Schnauzers? I know you used to have a picture of one below your screen name. My wife will appreciate that. It's been nearly 35 years since her Miniature Schnauzer,
Elke, passed and the stories about her still keep getting bigger.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, here are a few pics of Toby (black, born 8/16/15) and Brody (white, born 4/16/16 - 10/20/23 ). Toby weighs about 19 lbs and Brody weighs about 26 lbs. EDIT: Body died on October 20, 2023 due to Megaesophagus .... could not swallow properly, weight loss, pneumonia, etc., because the esophagus enlarges generally up toward the head...... no real known cause and any dog can have it. Loved him to the end.

They hang with me everywhere I go. We have 3 acres fenced and individually broken into 1 acre tracks so they can be corralled where we want them. They like to hang-out at the garage when I'm working on TDIs..:D

Below, Toby at about 6 months. Pic was taken 2/2016 about 3 months after we got him.

Below, Brody at about 6 months. Pic was taken 10/2016 about a month after we got him.

Below, the two on the back deck... about December, 2016

Below, this pic was taken at a pull-off on the north side of the Great Smoky Mountains about two weeks before the big fire broke-out (November, 2016)

Below, is a pic of our late schnauzer, Scruff. This pic was taken at the same pull-over in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, September 20, 2015 about 6 weeks before he was killed by a coyote.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Alrighty .... looks like we will be pulling out in the morning! All new hoses on the AC system, charged and producing nice cold air.

As I may have already stated, this is somewhat late to be heading toward Alaska but we've departed as late as August 3rd or 4th.

I hope we can post some nice pics for everyone to see!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You know, NASA always planned for the perfect launch, position of the Earth, hour of the day, weather, etc....

Well, surprise, surprise, we never "launched" this morning! There was a pretty bad thunderstorm hit last evening right before we began to load the Van and Camper. Lightening knocked out electric service from about 8:15 pm until 11:10 pm. So, rather than attempting a pack-up early this morning, what the heck, one more day!

So, we are ready for a departure in the morning!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Geesh, I hope this isn't a sign of what your trip will be like:eek:... have a safe trip whenever you do get started!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, Portage, Wisconsin! 691 miles today!

Never a dull moment ... road construction, many vehicles with no signal lights and operated by Texters and Scrollers ...

Ended the day running out of fuel.......... right at the pump! We were about 25 miles from Portage when I took an exit to fill-up. As I turned the 180 into the service station then another 180 to line up on the pump it must have sucked air. I filler 'er up and then bled the injectors and got it running.

Grand Forks, North Dakota is the destiny for tomorrow!

Oh, the AC system worked great!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Andy, you could write a book:D. Grand Forks:rolleyes:, I went through there in the fall once after days of heavy rains. The state had allowed farmers to run the highways with trucks hauling sugar beets because the juice was leeching out of them in the fields. Running at night I put on less than 100miles in more than 4 hours. Clay clods the size of bigfoots head everywhere.:eek:.
Glad to see your AC is working. Always interesting following your adventures, you are pretty darn innovative, "full of beans", Donna says. Thanks.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, we arrived rather late in Grand Forks. We are at a campground we stayed in 31 years ago. Dee says it was a KOA at that time ... Hmmm, I don't remember that.

Anyway, at St Cloud we got off I-94. It was so darn chug-d-chug I couldn't stand it anymore. So, we ended up on Highway 10 (well kept secret, apparently). It was nice and smooth all the way to Fargo, ND.

Disappointed in the fuel economy... running in the low 20s.. Also, I'm thinking the fuel tank holds 15 gallons instead of 16 and most likely the pickup tube is higher than normal off the bottom (new tank as of three yeas ago, aftermarket, of course!).

Today, as I recall, I don't think I set the Timing after the TB job a couple of months back. So, tomorrow morning a few miles down the road when the engine is at full operating temp, I plan to drag out VCDS and re-set the timing. As I remember, I did check but never re-set... it was below the line in the graph. This may explain the low fuel mileage !

Okay, tomorrow is going to be a long run to Campland just north of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.... bout 650 miles.

Yeah, Jmodge, I've been full of beans a time or two :D.... And, Rembrant, full of business too! ..:D

I'll try to post a few pics soon!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, here's an update.

We are slightly north of Saskatoon at the Campland Campground (really nice). It is an awesome facility, prolly the best we've ever stayed in.

We do have some issues going on that may affect whether or not we proceed as planned. Dee and I both have been dealing with some minor health issues, however, nothing to be alarmed about. Keeping up with two dogs has been a challenge to say the least. But, seems they have adjusted now.

Lastly, as were finishing the day going into Grand Forks (26th), I noticed the clutch was taking down near the bottom. Yesterday, it stayed pretty much the same until the end of the day. Then, it began to take even lower down. This morning I bled a lot of air out of the system but very little, if any, improvement. So, I marched into the VW Dealer and they couldn't help. However, they did locate a VW/Import Guru in Saskatoon. I took the Van there for his assessment. His assessment was the same as mine, bad slave cylinder. On the rebound stroke of the Clutch Master Cylinder, apparently bad sealing inside the Slave Cylinder is allowing air to be sucked in. Most likely some damage when the Slave extended while the tranny was out for the new flywheel/clutch.

So, Monday he will have the part and do the replacement for me.

If all goes well and our health issues have gone subsided, we'll continue on. Otherwise, we will head south via Dinosaur Provincial Park in southern Saskatchewan then head for the Badlands in South Dakota!

Last edited:

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Welcome to SK! I live about two hours further north - where the population really thins out.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Da.hs, wow! Thanks for the welcome.

We are enjoying the nice weather and getting plenty of exercise walking the dogs... seems they are a little bored!

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
We are enjoying the nice weather and getting plenty of exercise walking the dogs... seems they are a little bored!
The dogs must be traveling in some other vehicle, because the ride you and Dee are on seems quite entertaining to read about. ;)

Glad the new A/C lines are doing the trick for ya. :) Without A/C, my wife would say "Trip Over, fly me home!" :rolleyes:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, the dogs are enjoying dragging me out of the camper for a walk in a huge field adjacent to the campground. There's a long fence line with trees that I walk them along. It looks to be about 1/2 mile long. So, down and back is close to a mile.... at least 4 to 5 times per day! .......... yes, I've lost a pound or two.

Well, this Campground is a 9 on 10 scale. Extremely clean facilities and grounds. The only draw-back is poor WIFI. I have to set on a bench at the main building to get a strong signal.

So, no pics from here.

And, considering the initial delays, etc., combined with this delay, we've pretty much concluded, as I have already alluded to, we are going to head back south Tuesday morning!