how do i make my car faster without spending $

OneLostprophet

is there any cheap way i can make my car just a little bit faster. it only tops out at 95 mph and i would like it to get up and go faster too..i know of the injectors and chip. i saw a little diagram under the hood and it was the turbo i believe. i saw boost control, is there an ajustment i can make to that..any help would be appreciated. thanks

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Read the performance section of the TDIFAQ. Pay attention to the bit about fixing what's wrong with yours before spending money on hop-ups, because 95 mph is only about 150 km/h, and a bone stocker should be capable of better than that. (My money is on a bad MAF sensor ...)

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
95mph is not enough???
You must have a death wish. Besides, it's not top speed that matters, it's acceleration...
. You could try removing the antenae to reduce drag...

Kidding aside, you should be able to reach at least 105 with the windows closed and the AC off with no roof rack. If your car has a spoiler on the trunk, it could affect top speed.

The diagram you saw is the vaccum hose diagram. I don't recommend you fool around with the turbo. Too many stories of blown turbos in this forum from people who tried to increase boost. Your best bet is injector nozzles and a chip but that will set you back $400-$500. You can find someone with a Vag Com software to increase your IQ (injected quantity) to add more fuel to the cylinders which will increase power or you could do the hammer mod which is a mechanical version of the software induced IQ adjustment (not recommended). Other things to consider, clean your snowscreen frequently (intake pipe to the airbox) to ensure your engine is breathing properly. If your TDI is used, look into an intake cleaning to prevent air restriction. That's about all you can do for free.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Actually there are quite a few states out west that have a 75 mph limit. I think Arizona is talking about raising theirs to 85.

-tom

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
is there any cheap way i can make my car just a little bit faster. it only tops out at 95 mph and i would like it to get up and go faster too..i know of the injectors and chip. i saw a little diagram under the hood and it was the turbo i believe. i saw boost control, is there an ajustment i can make to that..any help would be appreciated. thanks
This BUD's for you!

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
With an 'apparently' stock '99.5 Jetta, I have routinely hit 135mph indicated out in the deserts of AZ. I have twice hit 132 on a hand-held GPS (135mph indicated), with the A/C running. If your MAF is acting up, you would have trouble reaching these speeds.

By the way, I have hit 135mph in a very short period of time, it's even a bit shocking. The car is only 'OK' from 0-45mph, pretty good from 45-80mph, but above 80mph the darned thing is evil. I can out-accelerate just about anything on the road above 100mph. When my MAF went south, it was stupid-slow to accelerate.

<disclaimer>
Let me recommend doing this away from others, with high quality, properly inflated tires, good suspension, and the brakes in perfect shape. If everything is not perfect on the car and/or there are other people around, you take a risk of doing great harm to them or even yourself. This would not be good and isn't fair to others.
</disclaimer>

YMMV--Remember-speed runs only under good conditions and no other traffic around. (They are morons anyway.)

Mike

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am astounded by your claim of 135 mph. Stock?? How is this possible?

-tom

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GOLF TDI Silver, 5 Speed
135mph stock is quite impressive! My 02 golf 5sp barely pulled 107 on a nice stretch of road. Also all other stock VW's in the U.S. shut down at 128mph,(that's for the gassers) That much i can attest to!

Nate

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
I finally had to take two separate guys with GPS units out on a run....one is a club member, another is a coworker. I was able to attain 132mph (speedo showed 135mph both times) on each run, but was coming into traffic both times and had to back off. The car pulls like a demon above 100mph indicated, and was still pulling on both occasions with the GPS. I have done a number of timed runs from 40-60mph and 60-90mph, neither seem to indicate anything but stock performance, it's only when I get above 80mph or so that it starts pulling really hard.

The car doesn't burn even a drop of oil, all vacuum lines are new, new MAF, always a clean air filter. Changed the oil about 500 miles ago and that was after 14k miles...no oil usage there either. EGR has been cleaned, but is operable. I always use Power Service (Grey), and try to get fuel from the best places I can find. I have new brakes all around, new GY GT-HR's, all other maintenance is up to snuff.

YMMV

Mike

PS Anyone is welcome to show up at my door with a GPS at anytime, I live in an area where there is plenty of space and will take you for a run. You may also inspect any aspect of the car. When we are done, I will buy you a beer.

cowboytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, Silver, 5 Speed
Max,are you originally from Texas? Your tall tails are sounding a lot like those of Oldman and dzljet...Any dynos, vag com graphs, or 70 to 100 timed runs?

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I will be honest it does sound pretty tall, But you are also the second or third person from AZ to say that their car is that fast stock!
Nate

LarryLymb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon 2003 Mojave Beige, 5 speed
It would sure help if you would fill out your profile listing your location and details about your vehicle including age, model, transmission, mileage, how long you have had it, etc.

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
I agree with the tall tail part, I can't believe this little thing behaves that way myself, hence the dual GPS runs to confirm that it was happening. The first time I test drove the car I hit 110mph with the sales weenie and my wife in the car, I wasn't trying to do that....I was as shocked as everyone. That's also why I leave the open invite to come down for a visit. It's not practical for everyone to come here, I know that, but I have seen a few members and will gladly entertain anyone that does make it out here. (I will also do a run with anyone's GPS at anytime.)

YMMV

Mike

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
Well then that sounds like a ROAD TRIP is in order!!

MaxThrust That is awesome! It must be something in the air.(Stupid New England air piece of crap!)

And yes YMMV

Nate

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Hmmmm, have you shifted it into 5th gear?

135 mph does not sound unreasonable to me at all. Of course my car is not stock, and I did a 10 second run in 4th gear measuring injection quantity for Jeff of RocketChip fame, and I was at 110+mph at the end of that run and not at redline. (Oh, injected quantity dropped from 47mg/stroke down to 37mg/stroke due to intercooler being small and the air heating up) So in 5th gear I am sure the car would make it to 135 mph.

I agree that something is wrong with your car if you cannot break 95 mph. Find someone on the Vag-Com list at the top of the page to help you.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Exactly my point, Max says his car is stock. I'm sure there are some mods that would push you toward that sort of speed, but nothing close to stock will do that. If you look at the specs for the German 150 HP PD's- they don't even claim that kind of speed. And the German's are definitely not shy about testing that upper limit.

Call me doubting thomas. Has anyone else claimed this sort of performance? Maybe the next TDIFest should be in AZ, so we can really test this claim out.

I guess I'm chiming in so much because this is the 101 forum and it seems to me that we should be careful about setting expectations of these cars performance. No offense intended to anyone.

-tom

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
Well you all know that all this talk about top end speed has made me VERY curious about my new 2004 Jetta TDI and it's "warp speed" limit.

I hit 100 a few days ago on the Interstate just for a sec while getting away from a dangerous group of cars. I did not take a lot of notice at the tach. But I remember that the engine sounded effortless, and I think the tach was only at about 3,500. That's just a guess. I do remember thinking that I should easliy be able to break 115 with as much throttle and rpm that I had left to use.

I guess now I'll just have to go try it!!!

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
The highest posted speed limited in the country is 70 MPH!
WELL, thank the good lord Texas, Oklahoma, and Wyoming are not in the same country as Maryland. I'm sure there are other states that seceded too, especially if that is the critereon.

(I think you are wrong. I know you are wrong. Do you realize you are posting things as if they are true facts when you are wrong. educate before you disseminate.)

sharptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
The air in Arizona is extremely warm and dry. The humidity in the air affects performance a fair amount. At the same altitude a car in a less humid area should have more power. I believe 135 is attainable in a stock tdi. If anything I have just stated is incorrect then I apologize in advance. These are just my observations and it seems to me that if you take the humidity out of the air you will get more power.

Walter

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
I agree my 2003 jetta TDI will easily do 210 Kms per hour. In fact I was clocked by the OPP at the speed not long ago. 210 divided by 1.6 will give you MPH. Get the problem fixed before doing any mods. Driving with less weight in the vehicle helps as well. Just dont get caught by the police evicting passengers on the fly to increase speeds.

1stvwitstdi

TDI
I have not done 130+ in my 04 Jetta but at 85 mph the engine rpm in 5th gear reads around 2700 no place close to red line and thats going up hill I think it will go faster but I like to keep my inshurance down.

FLTDI

TDI
2003 GLS g-blue
03 tdi jetta here. I have had her up to 120 several times, no mods running. For 90hp she does well. By the way, done on i-4 between Tampa-Orlando......pretty flat. Anyhow, on a lonley stretch of pavement, she will go. to give a gauge....100 easy, 110 slowing, 120 not constant (any slight incline) Just FYI on my experience. Also to clarify, all reading done from the speedo. Anyone willing to try the same in this area should be able to attest to the same. TDI on!!!

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
Well, I just finished a quick speed check. I hit 115 with no trouble. I had to slow down as traffic was up ahead, not too close, but I did not want to push it. I would say I can easily hit 120 unless some govenor kicks in. I'll try again later when there is less traffic. There is a long stretch of road not too far from my house that is straight as an arrow, but it is slightly is inclinde just 1 or 2 degrees. I'll try a test going both ways to see how much, if any, a slight variation in "going uphill - vs downhill" makes any difference. It's not even a hill, just a very slight incline, so not perfeclty flat.

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
While on my road trip to Montreal in the middle of August, I was driving through New Brunswick on the new (I think, it seemed pretty new) highway between Moncton and Fredericton.. anyway, there was no traffic around, so I floored it going down a hill, and I hit 110mph on my way back up the other side. I couldn't get the car to go any faster, even though I held the pedal down for about 5-10 seconds. I bet if I wasn't climbing a hill I could've gone a bit faster.. however, I was also getting nervous so I slowed back down to 110km/h. My car is stock.