Help - Intermittent Open Circuit AIRBAG IGNITER

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
ISSUE:
  • Need to pin-point "intermittent open circuit for driver's seat airbag igniter" diagnostics and repair w/most efficient, cost-efficient methods
Challenges:
  • Various Diagnostic Suggestions so far involve, mostly, parts replacing
  • Delays may be caused by my experience & knowledge limitations
Additional Info:
Work space concerns, rain-snow-freezing temps may lead to delay

Self Help Steps Taken:

#1. Scan Tool Read and Reset (01/01/10)
a) Read
Result:
Intermittent open circuit for the driver's seat airbag igniter

b) Reset
Result:
Air Bag Light on w/i 5 minutes of reset
Air Bag Light remains on

#2.Checked wiring & connectors under driver's seat (01/08/10)
Result:
Observed no broken, severed or exposed wires

#3. Unplugged and re-connected 3 yellow wiring harnesses (01/08/10)
Result:
Reassembled, w/o reset, air bag light still on.

Next Steps:
Seeking Vag Com in Worcester area, to get a second reading & reset

Resolution Suggestions (so far):
1. Swap seats with a friend
Issues:
Labor intensive, imprecise diagnostics, risk of damage to friend's seat

2. Replace w/new seat
Issues:
Too costly, imprecise "part replacing" diagnostics

3. Replce w/ used seat
Issues:
Less costly, imprecise diagnostics, used part may present same or additional issues, difficult to find one to match

4. Replace w/ used or new airbag
Issues:
May be difficult, may pose pose a safety issue, imprecise diagnostics, new part = costly, used part = questionable safety

5. Fix wiring
Issue:
Need more info, imprecise diagnostics

Need smart suggestions and help! ;)

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
So sad, no one is out there to help.

Maybe the way I wrote my request isn't easy enough to read. Maybe no one knows about this type of air bag light issue. MOGolf started to help, but he's gone now. Others have helped, but I need just a few more suggestions.

Otherwise, I'll have to park the Beetle if I can't fix it myself. I'm really sad to think about that.

Whoa is me.....:(

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
this really is a non-issue. we've had this exact code for almost 2 years; it's safe to drive the car. i'm going to replace the seat next week and report results so you can follow suit with a fix, so please be patient. in the mean time, i've followed the same steps as you, except w/ a reset through vag-com after each step. the bag won't blow on its own, nor will it have a significant effect in an impact (seat bags only deply under limited conditions). don't be tempted to prod around with a multimeter, as THAT may cause the bag to blow, my understanding is a multimeter sends out voltage and measures drop to determine resistance - this voltage could set the bag off.

as for others, some were lucky enough to have this code while still under warranty, from their experience, the dealer replaced the harness - code returned, bag - code returned, body harness - code returned, bag module (or whatever) - code returned... etc. i never did go back and follow up to see if it ever got fixed.

if you are not concerned about bag function, there is of course the option to replace the bag with a simple resistor to get the light to turn off (as is done by those with aftermarket seats).

alien_tdi

TDI
2002 golf
generally on a beetle, the wires break or get chewed up where the seat 'breaks' to flip forward. between the seatback and seatbottom on the outside (you will most likely have to remove the upper seatcover at least partly)

TurboBugger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta vr6
I have noticed on the driver airbag. The wiring that is glued to the airbag becomes faulty.

I was able to get my airbag repaired.

this was the problem
My Vag com is giving me an AIRBAG error code
My airbag light is lite up on my clusterhere is the code I get from Vagcom
Control Module Part Number: 6Q0 909 605 A
Component and/or Version: 06 AIRBAG VW5 0004
Software Coding: 12342
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066
1 Fault Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N95)
33-00 - Resistance too Low

if you need help you will need to copy paste or write your Exact codes from your vag reader on the forums

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
TurboBugger said:
if you need help you will need to copy paste or write your Exact codes from your vag reader on the forums
Thank you, I guess I'll work on getting a code number, the exact language on the code was as is in my first post. I'll check anyway.

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
TurboBugger said:
I have noticed on the driver airbag. The wiring that is glued to the airbag becomes faulty.

I was able to get my airbag repaired.

this was the problem
My Vag com is giving me an AIRBAG error code
My airbag light is lite up on my clusterhere is the code I get from Vagcom
Control Module Part Number: 6Q0 909 605 A
Component and/or Version: 06 AIRBAG VW5 0004
Software Coding: 12342
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066
1 Fault Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N95)
33-00 - Resistance too Low

What kind of VAG COM do you have? I saw some on eBay and was wondering which parts to get to do my own Vag Com Diagnostics?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Some have had success getting an ebay cable to work with VCDS software. Given that the ebay version is limited and probably won't be able to read chassis codes, I think you'd be better off with a genuine http://ross-tech.com/ cable. You will have a full featured tool!

Tony

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
HoneyBeetle said:
So sad, no one is out there to help.

Maybe the way I wrote my request isn't easy enough to read. Maybe no one knows about this type of air bag light issue. MOGolf started to help, but he's gone now. Others have helped, but I need just a few more suggestions.

Otherwise, I'll have to park the Beetle if I can't fix it myself. I'm really sad to think about that.

Whoa is me.....:(
The Bentley CD has a detailed TSB (you get all the Technical Service Bulletins with the CD, but not the paper Bentley) on troubleshooting the entire airbag system. It is many pages long. The Bentley manual just covers removing components (and installing them). There are no airbag troubleshooting/diagnosis procesdure in there. You need a copy of the TSB. The way the Bentley CD is set up, someone can not just copy the TSB and post it on this list.

I'll take a look and see what mine says. I recently reviewed this TSB for a buddy's driver's steering wheel air bag.

Was this the driver's seat air bag giving you issues? I will see if I can at least post the text from the TSB. The pictures and diagrams will not copy. I will look tonight if I can.

You MUST HAVE a VCDS scan tool to troubleshoot this and Bentley lists other very specialized equipment that basically the airbag connectors are pluged into to simulate the various components in the system and then you check for codes again and narrow the issue down, but I think a lot of this can be done with just the VCDS scan tool.

See this:

http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html

--Nate

Last edited:

toohighpsi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2005 Jetta, 2001 Golf
If your code is indeed for the seat airbag, the problem is most likely with the connector. The connector terminals develop fretting corrosion at their contacts. I've seen this issue across the entire range of VW, Audi and Porsche vehicles. You can try contact enhancer which is available at electronics stores, or even from VW under the name Stabilant 22A.

The best and easiest solution however, is to simply cut out the yellow connector and splice the wires directly together. This was the official VW TSB fix for this problem in the Touareg. I personally solder and heat shrink them when I do them, I wouldn't use a crimp connector in the airbag wiring.
Chris

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
HoneyBeetle said:
What kind of VAG COM do you have? I saw some on eBay and was wondering which parts to get to do my own Vag Com Diagnostics?

Don't call it that. That is NOT what those cheap knock-off cables are.

You need to go to a licensed vendor or Ross tech directly for the correct cable.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
my 98 had that code a few years ago, i just disconnected the battery and used butt connectors instead of the harness below the seat. no problems since.

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
jasonTDI said:
Don't call it that. That is NOT what those cheap knock-off cables are.

You need to go to a licensed vendor or Ross tech directly for the correct cable.
I was looking at Ross Tech today. I saw multiple versions of Vag Com and was wondering which version would be suitable for diagnostics for my 01 Beetle and possibly.....a little tuning (one day, of course) and to re-set and do good things, in general for my TDI.

The professional Vag is over a grand. There's got to be a better way for me. Any suggestions?

I located a Vag person in Worcester, Mike. But he hasn't committed to a time for a Vag Com reading yet. I'm not sure whether or not this is a dead-end. We shall see.

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
toohighpsi said:
If your code is indeed for the seat airbag, the problem is most likely with the connector. The connector terminals develop fretting corrosion at their contacts. I've seen this issue across the entire range of VW, Audi and Porsche vehicles. You can try contact enhancer which is available at electronics stores, or even from VW under the name Stabilant 22A.

The best and easiest solution however, is to simply cut out the yellow connector and splice the wires directly together. This was the official VW TSB fix for this problem in the Touareg. I personally solder and heat shrink them when I do them, I wouldn't use a crimp connector in the airbag wiring.
Chris
Chris, is there any way you can send me a diagram of where, exactly, the connector is located. I've heard of multiple locations, under the seat, near the air bag, seat belt, in the seat cushion. I don't want to fiddle with anything or tear into my seat without knowing.

I connected and re-connected one of the yellow things under the seat. This is a picture of what I was looking at and the connectors I saw.

I hate to sound stupid, but I'm not sure which connector I'm supposed to be pin-pointing.

On a bad day: I once thought I was testing a glow plug relay and it was a horn relay.....D'uh!
It's not easy being a back yard mechanic who hasn't graduated from wrench-holder yet. ;)

Anyhow, regarding a Vag Com tool, I'm thinking it would be very nice to be able to dagnose chassis issues, yes?

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The airbag wiring conectors are yellow coded. According to the Bentley manual, the negative (ground strap) battery cable MUST be disconnected (for safety) when unplugging/plugging in the air bag connectors.

--Nate

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
H-B, I'm around this weekend if you want to trek north a bit.
See if you can get a print copy (or e-mail) of the air bag TSB.
Disconnecting the battery is the safest method, one that I don't follow on my A3/B4s. You could also drain out all the fuel so the engine doesn't start: that's safer too.
If your radio requires a code you'll have to enter that each time the battery is re-connected.
No radio code needed and the battery is easily accessible? Then there's no justification for not disconnecting the battery.

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
PDJetta said:
The airbag wiring conectors are yellow coded. According to the Bentley manual, the negative (ground strap) battery cable MUST be disconnected (for safety) when unplugging/plugging in the air bag connectors.

--Nate
Nate, do you have a copy of the TSB in the Bently CD? Would it be possible to either post it on this forum or send it to me via email or fax?