Jetta TDI Gas Mileage

flfirefighter27

Thinking of purchasing a 2000 TDI Jetta GLS fully loaded. 5 spd..I've driven the NB and the Jetta. My concern is I power drive down the interstate every day for 90 miles at about 80. Wanted to know how the car is going to perform and how it affects gas. Do you suggest NB or Jetta?

Denton T. Young

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
If you cruise at 70mph, you'll get over 50 mpg. On a recent 350 mile trip I drove between 65 and 105, probably averaged 80 mph, and got around 43 mpg.

------------------
'00 Bright Green Golf GL TDI

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
My Jetta gets terrible "gas mileage," but great (diesel) fuel mileage.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited May 20, 2000).]

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Ahem, Turbo Steve, my TDI gets incredible gas mileage. I've driven my car 47,000+ miles now and have yet to burn a drop of the stuff!

As for diesel mileage, my car gets about 40MPG but I drive it too fast!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You will get marginally better mileage in the Jetta.

The real decision will boil down to other considerations: how much room do you need, do you just like the kewl looks of the NB so much you can't stand not having it, are you worried about resale, do you need 4 doors, do you have to have the car now and must take what's on the lot or can you wait for exactly what you want.

Personally, I needed the back seat, 4 doors, and thought a Golf would do me better than a Jetta. The NB just didn't have the rear seat and trunk room I needed. But that's me.

I also do 110 miles round trip each day, 85% interstate cruising at 71 mph indicated. Unless someone decides to have an accident, then it is a very long parking lot. Anyway, I get 51-52, up to 53 so far if the weather cooperates.

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep.
Ski resorts closed! Break out the cameras and fly rod ...

brian

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (sold)
The NB has the aerodynamics of lego
as one member put it. The Jetta would give you better fuel economy. Some say that the NB has a better suspension system.

My 2000 Jetta GLS TDI gets between 50-53 MPG driving about 72 MPH. That's without buying premium diesel or using additives.

I was surprised to see how well the car handles at 95 MPH. It didn't seem much different than 70, except that things whiz by much faster.

carolinagolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 White
At about 10K miles my mileage is 45-48 mpg depending on how much stop and go I get stuck in. Haven't seen the magical 50 yet even on highway trips. A/C worth -2 mpg??

rotorhead

Veteran Member
It all comes down to the back seat.

We just purchased a '00 TDI New Beetle. We don't plan on having anyone regularly riding in the back except the dogs.

Having been stuck in the back seat for a few short trips, I can confidantly say that anyone taller than about 5'6" is NOT going to enjoy it back there. I am 5'10" and had to slump or turn my head to the side to fit. A long roadtrip in the back of a NB would be very uncomfortable for me.

Can't tell you how the mileage goes, I'm still on the original tank of fuel! EVERYONE in the family has gotten a ride in the new TDI, they can't believe its a diesel!