2015 Passat Warranty Clarification Needed

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
My son lives in the West suburbs of Phoenix, AZ. He recently got his real estate license. His 95 Camry with 275k miles isn't going to cut it when meeting and hauling clients around to home showings. He picked up this sweet 2015 Passat TDI SEL premium for a great price. He bought the car through Carvana and the deal went through exactly as advertised. No problems at all with Carvana.

I love this photo because my granddaughter snuck in a photobomb. And I'm shamelessly proud of my grandchildren, so there!

My son was asking me about the extended emission warranty. All Carvana could tell him was that the car has all the VW emission upgrades and emission warranties when Carvana bought the car at auction from VW. Carvana could not tell him if the car has had the phase-2 upgrade, or if the car has the 11 year/162k mile warranty or the 5 year/60k mile warranty. His local VW dealer told to look up the car's VIN to know for sure. He did and he could not confirm if the car had the phase-2 upgrade completed or what his warranty is. The best we can tell is that the car has only had phase-1 upgrade completed and that he 'SHOULD' have the 11 year/162k mile warranty.

Here is his emission sticker.

Here is my emission sticker.

My car has a manual transmission Vs his which has a DSG. I think that's why the recall codes are different and why his had a NOX sensor replaced under the phase-1 emission upgrade.

The warranty information is vague. A scan of page 9 from the 2015 2.0L Gen-3 emission and warranty booklet.

So if I'm reading this correctly, both warranties start at the day of the original purchase. Remaining warranty time and mileage are deducted from the day of the subsequent sales. I also gather that it's a two part warranty, pre-phase-2 and post phase-2. I've read this a dozen times and I still can't explain to my son which warranty he has, the 11 year/162k miles one, or the 5 year/60k mile one.

Can anyone explain this in plain English? :confused:

Thank you.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
You have phase 1 done on your car since it is a manual.

He has phase 2a done which, if I am not mistaken, does qualify him for the extended warranty, but in the future he will need to go in for phase 2b.

Phase 2a is the software flash and 2nd NOX sensor install. Phase 2b is DPF and catalyst replacement.

The Phase 2b sticker looks like the yellow one here (notice it has an additional line):

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
As far as explaining the mileage thing, the first part is if you have phase two completed the vehicle is covered until it is 11 years old (from the original sale date) or 162k miles on the clock.

OR 5 years 60k miles from the repair date if the original 11 year 162k limit would be exceeded. Whichever is longer.

So if you have the modification completed when the car is 3 years old with 40k on the clock, you are covered until 11/162.

If you have phase 2 completed in 2025 and the car is 10 years old with 155k on the clock, you would be covered until 2030 (5 years from completion date) or 215k miles (60k miles from completion date).

Maybe one thing I don’t know is how phase 2 not being completed affects this.

I am sure someone will chime in with more info and insight.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
OK, this makes sense now. Two slightly different recalls due to the different transmissions. This is the best explanation of how the warranty works that I've read yet.

I'm waiting for parts for my phase-2 upgrade. Phase-2 should be completed later this month. My car has ~55k miles on it. My son's car has around ~24k miles so he has some time before he gets phase-2.

Thank you.

:)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
OK, this makes sense now. Two slightly different recalls due to the different transmissions. This is the best explanation of how the warranty works that I've read yet.

I'm waiting for parts for my phase-2 upgrade. Phase-2 should be completed later this month. My car has ~55k miles on it. My son's car has around ~24k miles so he has some time before he gets phase-2.

Thank you.

I think its more like Phase 2 is two different recalls with slightly different mileage requirements and how those recalls were rolled out when the car was in VWoA ownership.

Also you're son has phase 2, just not all of phase two, there is nothing he needs to do except drive the car until he gets a CEL for a failed DPF. Then he'll get the last part of the phase 2.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
You have phase 1 done on your car since it is a manual.

He has phase 2a done which, if I am not mistaken, does qualify him for the extended warranty, but in the future he will need to go in for phase 2b.

Phase 2a is the software flash and 2nd NOX sensor install. Phase 2b is DPF and catalyst replacement.

The Phase 2b sticker looks like the yellow one here (notice it has an additional line):

I don't want to get into a pissing match, but Phase 1 is a software change. No more than a 2 hour job at the dealer.
Phase 2 is a hardware change, i.e parts of the exhaust system etc. Phase 2 can take 9 hours or so and you get a FREE loaner car while your car is with the dealer.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I don't want to get into a pissing match, but Phase 1 is a software change. No more than a 2 hour job at the dealer.
Phase 2 is a hardware change, i.e parts of the exhaust system etc. Phase 2 can take 9 hours or so and you get a FREE loaner car while your car is with the dealer.
You are mostly correct.

Phase 1 is a software reflash.

Phase 2a also has a software reflash and a secondary NOx sensor install. There needs to be software involved to read the secondary NOx sensor.

Phase 2b is purely a hardware swap to ensure the tailpipe emissions for the “life” of the vehicle.

Jb22

TDI
2015 Passat DSG
I'm still wondering what the addition of the engine block sentence at the end of it all means. It's not bullet-ed like it's extended, but I can't believe that the listed parts weren't a part of the original drive train warranty.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
You can look up the status of the car’s emissions modification and warranty here:

https://www.vwdieselinfo.com

Here is what it shows for my 2015 Touareg:

Results for your
2015 Touareg Utility 4D TDI Lux AWD V6 T-Diesel
Volkswagen Emissions Modification Programs

Vehicle (VIN) Included in Settlement: YES
Modification Approved by EPA and CARB: YES
Modification Completed for this Vehicle (VIN): YES
Vehicle has Extended Emissions Warranty: YES
Vehicle Eligibility and Emissions Modification Status:
An emissions modification has been approved for this vehicle by EPA and CARB. Our records show that a modification has been completed and this vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty.

Emissions Modification Disclosure:
Please find details on the modification for the vehicle in the Emissions Modification Disclosure.

Extended Emissions Warranty Information*:
The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years and 3 months or 123,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date.

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years and 3 months or 51,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Nov 8, 2017 and 19,663 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.

*For vehicles that have completed repairs in Canada, please see the Canadian extended warranty terms.

Schedule a Service Appointment:
Stay informed about additional required emissions modifications. Once a modification is available, please contact an authorized VW dealer to schedule an appointment. Find a Dealer

Visit VWCourtSettlement.com to determine what other benefits you may be eligible to receive.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Sadly I find the "diesel look up site" more geared towards issuing payment rather tracking the phases of the 2015 epa fixes which are covered by a recall and 90% of those remaining to be accomplished have zero money tied to them.

Any dealer can look up the recall of the phases to verify the work completed on the car.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Entered the VIN of my son's car into the link in post #10. Don't know why I didn't think of that first. As I thought all along, he's good to go with all the extended warranties.

I guess I thought his emission warranties might be different as he didn't buy the car through VW.

Thank you everyone for your input.