Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I don't know if it was in this thread or another, but there was a story about getting stopped. I believe it involved seeing another pickup get a hole cut in his tank for dyed fuel violation.

Jason

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I've heard one of the guys in the MB diesel forums talk about getting dipped at a road-side check point that was flagging down all diesel vehicles, but that was out in the corn belt, if I remember correctly.

That said, I've driven various diesel vehicles (VW and MB) for years and have never been dipped.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I Got checked during harvest season in cotton country years ago in my 81 MB 300D, but it clattered like a tractor unlike the new diesels and was a hoot to smoke tailgaters. :D

Nissan V8 diesel could pass for a gasser it's so quite, not sure about new VW's and MB's.

Gotrek

Veteran Member
TDI
I got stopped once in our old B5.5 Passat TDI back in 2011, to check for untaxed fuel. All diesels were being pulled over. This was in rural Quebec, actually about 5 km from home.

Happened to me once in Manitoba, which sucked because I run 2 stroke oil in my diesel so it's tinted just like Purple diesel. Not the same tint but try explaining that to an RCMP officer who doesn't really know the difference.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
How were they determining if you had a diesel engine in your car?

Please - you aren't serious ?
You can tell if the VW is a diesel or not pretty easily by audio, not to mention the VW markings usually advertise that the car is a TDI, and enforcement should know that. The VIN number certainly will....

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
You can tell if the VW is a diesel or not pretty easily by audio, not to mention the VW markings usually advertise that the car is a TDI, and enforcement should know that. The VIN number certainly will....

My Jetta Wagon is pretty quiet so unless they are stopping every single vehicle just to listen to them up close or check the VIN, the question stands.

It is bad enough with DUI checks causing traffic backups and they take less time than to check VIN numbers. Though there is a way to do it fairly quick: compile a database of the license plate numbers for all diesel cars registered in Canada, then use a plate scanner as all vehicles are driven through a "DUI" checkpoint. When a march is made, that car will be pulled over and the tank checked.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
plenty of stories of guys slipping trucks through with a "nah ain't a diesel, it just plumb wore out"

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My Jetta Wagon is pretty quiet so unless they are stopping every single vehicle just to listen to them up close or check the VIN, the question stands.
It may seem quite, but I can usually pick up the single VW diesel in the store paring lot. I do admit to being fooled a few times by some Kias that sounded more like my 2000 beetle than a gasser.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It may seem quite, but I can usually pick up the single VW diesel in the store paring lot. I do admit to being fooled a few times by some Kias that sounded more like my 2000 beetle than a gasser.

From how far away? Of course, diesel owners develop a "trained ear", but I don't think the average person can do it with the modern VW diesels. The big rattling Ford, GM, and Dodge pickups are a different matter.

I'd still like to know how the police determine which passenger cars to pull over on the highway and check; I was never stopped in my '83 VW diesel nor in my '05 Jetta Wagon. What protocols do they use?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Well in over 30 years driving a Diesel car all over 3 countries I've never been stopped for a "Diesel" check !

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
From how far away? Of course, diesel owners develop a "trained ear", but I don't think the average person can do it with the modern VW diesels. The big rattling Ford, GM, and Dodge pickups are a different matter.

I'd still like to know how the police determine which passenger cars to pull over on the highway and check; I was never stopped in my '83 VW diesel nor in my '05 Jetta Wagon. What protocols do they use?
I've only been stopped two times in all my years of driving, other than obvious traffic violations. Once was for a random seat belt check. I think that was Indiana. The other was a roadside dui check. Stopping everyone and asking a few questions before either letting you drive on or visiting the mobile lab and judge. NC doesn't mess around!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've only been stopped two times in all my years of driving, other than obvious traffic violations. Once was for a random seat belt check. I think that was Indiana. The other was a roadside dui check. Stopping everyone and asking a few questions before either letting you drive on or visiting the mobile lab and judge. NC doesn't mess around!

But was your tank dipped to check for untaxed diesel?

As I said, I've NEVER been stopped for an untaxed diesel check, and I'd still like to know how the police determine which passenger cars to check from all the cars driving down the road. What is the procedure to do this? Is it like a DUI check and they smell the fuel port to see if it smells like gasoline or diesel?

I don't know if California EVEN does these checks unless they do it at the commercial truck weigh stations.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
I think some places that stop diesels are setup like a DUI checkpoint. And depends on the people running it. With Diesel being their business they tend to know what vehicles are out there, at least more than the average cop.

Jason

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
While I was trying to find out if CA has these type checkpoints, I discovered that in Ireland, it is green dyed diesel that is illegal for road use. Kind of ironic for the "Emerald Isle".

Meanwhile, the only diesel checkpoints in CA I found so far were for emissions testing.

Edit. Found a site where the California Air Resources Board issued a notice in 1995 saying the ARB is contracted with the IRS to perform these dye checks on diesel trucks but it doesn't mention passenger cars. Even during smog tests on my TDI, the fuel wasn't checked.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Since we’re all on this tax and dye subject, because nobody seems to be doing funny or stupid things at the diesel pump lately. What is the result/penalty/fine for running %100 WVO or as one current thread is asking “black diesel” or homemade biodiesel?

I realize some run a percentage of diesel mixed with their choice of alternative fuel and with the exception of black diesel would probably dye their fuel somewhat green.

If you get a fine for running red diesel because you’re not paying any tax, what about these other guys running some type of home brew. They’re not paying tax either. Are they treated to an exception like the %100 electric vehicles?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
What is the result/penalty/fine for running %100 WVO or as one current thread is asking “black diesel” or homemade biodiesel?
Just as illegal, but it is exempted by the amount of smug you can emit while doing so. (yes south park reference, not typo)

Fuel additives are exempt from road tax, and in MN at least there is no upper limit on percentage, so the 85% waste oil 'lubricity additive' is a-ok. I don't think I'd run gasoline in a diesel without such an additive. :p

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
I did hear of someone in upper mid-west getting dragged into court and fined for running home brew bio-d. Probably would have been fine but someone opened their big mouth...

You have to have a tax document and pay road taxes on fuel used over the road for vege kits or home brew Bio-d. Depends state to state, but my take on it right now the situation is "don't ask, don't tell". Most governments have better things to do than run down a few how brew people. But make it very public about your operation and you may get a visit from the tax man.

Jason

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've asked at the DMV a few times how I'd pay fuel tax separate of buying fuel, they just look at me confused as heck until I relate it to red diesel, then they still don't have answers but they turn their righteous indignation knob up a couple clicks.

Oh well.

MG19

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI with DSG
I'm new to the club, but I have one. My first time filling up, so I was kinda taking things slowly because I was interested and new to this. I pulled up to the combo diesel/gas pump and started pumping.

The guy behind me says "you putting diesel in your car?" I reply yes, it's a diesel. He said he was just asking since he thought I was looking confused like I didn't know what I was doing. Oh well, like I said, I was kinda taking things slowly, and I was also trying to discreetly get a whiff of the drops I dripped when taking the nozzle without bending down since I was curious what diesel smelled like, so that's probably why. At least he was nice.

I didn't get a whiff, but I later realized it was on my hands! I started wearing gloves after that.

My second story is from this morning. No interactions with other people, but I picked up the handle and diesel came spilling right out onto my shoes and the bottom of my pants. Thanks BP!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I didn't get a whiff, but I later realized it was on my hands! I started wearing gloves after that.

My second story is from this morning. No interactions with other people, but I picked up the handle and diesel came spilling right out onto my shoes and the bottom of my pants. Thanks BP!
Now that you’ve been suitably initiated, welcome to tdiclub.

PacketHauler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6M, 2013 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Prem (retired)
I was filling up at Cumberland Farms the other day. An older F-350 PowerStroke pulled up on the other side. As I was filling, the guy on the other side saw that the diesel hose was extended and peeked around the corner to see if I was putting diesel in my car. He asked if it was a diesel car, I said 'yep'. He said that's pretty neat. Told him I've been averaging about 39 MPG since I got it. He asked if it's fun to drive, of course I said 'yep'. Wasn't the most interesting conversation, but in this day and age I like friendly interactions with people.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I'm new to the club, but I have one. My first time filling up, so I was kinda taking things slowly because I was interested and new to this. I pulled up to the combo diesel/gas pump and started pumping.

The guy behind me says "you putting diesel in your car?" I reply yes, it's a diesel. He said he was just asking since he thought I was looking confused like I didn't know what I was doing. Oh well, like I said, I was kinda taking things slowly, and I was also trying to discreetly get a whiff of the drops I dripped when taking the nozzle without bending down since I was curious what diesel smelled like, so that's probably why. At least he was nice.

Just wait till you get to the additive phase of your indoctrination. That stuff really stinks and lasts a long time and spreads with everything you touch. Welcome to tdiclub!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I didn't get a whiff, but I later realized it was on my hands! I started wearing gloves after that
Welcome to TDI, but do not blame the station I.e BP, its you sorry to say. Next time stand further away!
I forget whether it's at Krogers or Murphy's they have free plastic gloves at the pump.