Transmission fill/drain plug socket.

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
Princess Auto has decent quality 12 pt socket sets available.

Thank you I called parts source and it was $50 for the kit but my funds are really tight right now. Laid off from work and just looking to see if someone had one I could borrow. Want to get fluid in before it’s to late. Was maybe going to see if I could access though breather tube but from looks of pics the breather hole is between the trans and dog tunnel.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
If its a 17mm hex, you can use a wheel bolt to remove it. Simply use a 17mm wrench and the extra part of the wheel bolt that extends past the wrench will go in the drain plug.

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
If its a 17mm hex, you can use a wheel bolt to remove it. Simply use a 17mm wrench and the extra part of the wheel bolt that extends past the wrench will go in the drain plug.

Sorry forgot to mention I have a fhn 5spd.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Or wait until fund are available and buy the proper bit for it. It's not like the transmission is going to explode if you wait a little more. I still have the same oil in my FHN that the transmission came with when I bought it used 4.5 years ago. Unlike automatic transmissions, manuals are not that finicky when it comes to regular oil change interval. There oil doesn't get as dirty because there is no friction material to wear.

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
The FHN uses a regular 17mm allen key in the fill plug but the drain plug in the bottom is a security triple square, (triple square with a hole drilled in the center). I usually just haul the security triple square out with vise grips and replace it with a regular 17mm hex plug from some transaxle in my junk heap. After all these years and all these swaps, I have still not purchased the proper tool...
Fill plug on mine is also triple square. Got the proper tool. Pulled fill plug to stick my finger in the hole. And brass fillings not much oil in it. Filled it up to see oil drain out the bell housing ��. My thoughts maybe a bad input seal?

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
You filled it to the bottom of the fill plug and it immediately leaked out the bell housing? That is not good. Something must have perforated the case. You'll likely have to pull the gearbox at minimum to investigate.

The good news, with the manual swap, you don't even have to drop the subframe anymore! The last B5 manual, it only took me an hour to pull.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Brass filings and not much oil? That transmission needs to come out and taken apart. Sounds like it was driven without enough oil.

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
Brass filings and not much oil? That transmission needs to come out and taken apart. Sounds like it was driven without enough oil.
I think so to I had issues last year with the third gear not going in to gear with out grinding. Unless I was to make the shift at the right rpms. My thought is it’s from a bad Synkro. I’m just waiting on my friend to put his hoist up so I can get the car in the air and pull the transmission. Then maybe try and source a new one. Love hate relationship with this passat. I came to appreciate the torque after driving my friends matrix the other day:D

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
Well I got some time and a spot to bring the car in to pull the transmission. And well get it out to find a big hole blown out in front of the ring gear. ?. Made a phone call to Bruce and he was able to source me out the transmission 2 km from where I was. Score. Thanks again. Got it in the car and seems to be working great now. And Surprisingly wasn’t too painful to change eight hours maybe going at it softly.