Where to pull car / front tow hook

nvr-enuf

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 01e 6sp
Hello everyone
I have a 2005 Passat wagon and thought the car would have a screw in tow hook like my Jetta. Unfortunately it does not buy does have a hook on the front passenger front but the lower grill near the fog light would get wrecked.

Any suggestions how to simply tow the car from the front?

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
You remove that bumper grille to access the tow hook point. Take a look at the owner's manual, it's pretty simple.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
You remove that bumper grille to access the tow hook point. Take a look at the owner's manual, it's pretty simple.
Yep, the grill just pops out and the hook is there. When done you can just snap the grill back into place.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
thats not a towing hook and should not be used as such, its really a tiedown.

Psymos

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
thats not a towing hook and should not be used as such, its really a tiedown.
A tiedown? For what a Christmas tree on the roof?

I was always under the assumption it was a tow hook. That's what it is on my Subaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvr-enuf

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 01e 6sp
Thanks

I have the factory binded book (5" by 8") and was not able to find hoe to pop out- I know it should be simple but I did not want to break it.

I ended up pulling on the sway bar, worked fine.

Thanks

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I have the factory binded book (5" by 8") and was not able to find hoe to pop out- I know it should be simple but I did not want to break it.

I ended up pulling on the sway bar, worked fine.

Thanks
Glad it worked out. You pop the piece of grill out by the right fog light. If I remember you can just grab it and give it a good tug and it will snap out.

Last edited:

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Take a look up top at the stickys and look under bsm replacement and follow the links to get a very nice procedure with pictures on how each grill piece is removed.
They are very simple once you know where the push tabs are.
No tools just your fingers.
Good thing to practice in case you ever have to get a pull off of a snowbank some day.
I dont think you would like a redneck with a big 4x4 truck hooking on to your swaybar in that case!