What are signs of a bad throw out bearing?

tbone1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6-speed
My 2011 jetta has been randomly making a weird metal scratching noise on start up, and it will last until the car warms up a little. Then is not heard. I was told it was a bad throw out bearing. My buddy looked at it lastnight and said the same. But are there any more distinct sounds it makes that I can point out to the dealer?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Seems that the throw-out bearing on a 2011 should have tens of thousands of miles left in it!

I doubt if warming up the engine would have anything to do with the noise being made by a throw-out bearing. I cannot come to think there would be a connection.

Does the sound change when you depress the clutch pedal? If so, it "could" be the throw-out bearing. But, it could be a short-lived DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) if so equipped.

tbone1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6-speed
Well when the clutch is all the way down, you can hear a noise from outside. Hard to explain, but is it supposed to make noise while its pressed to the floor?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well when the clutch is all the way down, you can hear a noise from outside. Hard to explain, but is it supposed to make noise while its pressed to the floor?
A good functioning throw-out bearing is quiet.

Typically, a bad throw-out bearing will change sounds or go silent with the clutch pedal depressed or not depressed.....one or the other will cause the sound to change! However, issues with the clutch and/or flywheel can give similar results. It seems to be either the throw-out bearing or the DMF. But, I will say, I've never experienced either with a TDI. I have had experiences with bad throw-bearings on other VWs.