View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:41   #10
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank

Yes, the TDI heater is what VW should have done in the first place. The mickey-mouse (sorry Walt) stick on oil warmer doesn't do the job. We start plugging in around zero or so. The TDI ALWAYS starts (even if unplugged) but a cold start is fairly hard on things. I think I have 1,100 watt element heater, and we use a timer so that it is running no more than an hour or so before first expected use in the day. Around here (about -30 something this morning) we also use a "winter front" - a vinyl grill opening cover to limit cold air blasting into the engine room all winter. Our local VW dealer has some very nice ones made up locally that simply clip in place and fit very well.

BTW: while the TDI is about the worst car since air cooled days for warming up and heating the interior, our older TDs are about the best. As usual, VW screws up something else good and never bothers to deal with the issue. I guess that's why we have an aftermarket and forums.

Page generated in 0.06668 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.07 Kb. compressed to 13.56 Kb. by saving 1.51 Kb. (10.01%)]