Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
*Update 3/11/17

15,000 Mile Update

-Rotated F->B on the same side.

-Miles on tires ~15000

-Avg Tread Depth 6/32

As always I measured 4 spots across each tire from the outside to the inside.

Outside-------------->Inside Inside<-------------Outside

LF- 6/32 6/32 6/32 5/32 -- 5/32 6/32 6/32 6/32 - RF

LR- 6/32 6/32 6/32 6/32 -- 6/32 6/32 6/32 6/32 - RR

Alright! I'm still very happy with the tires and they seem to be wearing right on schedule with what I've been expecting/predicting....maybe even slightly better.

Notable aspects of this 5k mile run include.....~800 miles of towing the Scamp to Palo Duro Canyon and ~700 miles of hard driving on the curvy AR mountain roads. The rest was just regular highway and city driving. Also on this rotation I found a small nail in the LR and had it fixed today before we leave on a trip.

Performance in the wet and dry is still the same as when they were new or at least there are no noticeable differences. Tire noise seems about the same....I'm sure it's a bit louder just because there is less rubber, but I can't tell.

Here are a few pics-

Front

DSC09340 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Some slight shoulder scrub that wasn't there before the 700 mile run in the mountains lol

DSC09341 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Rear

DSC09337 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC09336 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC09339 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Tread looks pretty much identical on all 4 tires apart from a little more shoulder wear on the fronts from running them hard as you can see. The little rubber pins/hairs are worn off on the shoulder of the fronts, but not the rears.

Overall I think they are doing great and I feel like they are living up to my expectations. There isn't any weird wear at all...no feathering, no sharp edges on the tread blocks, and no unusual shoulder wear. There is some very slight camber wear on 2 of the tires, but I think a 1/32 difference is well within normal limits...especially for these cars.

I have not had them balanced or had an alignment since they were installed last April and the way the treadwear is currently trending I really don't see a need to change anything at the moment. My current rotation regiment seems to be working well.

The next 5k update should come relatively soon. We have a ~1600 mile trip to Santa Fe next week and hopefully a few camping trips before summer. I just got accepted to Optometry school which is roughly ~180 miles away and will be moving in the summer. I expect there will be lots of back and forth for orientation, finding a place to live, and moving in June/July.....excited for that adventure to start in August!

That's all I can think of for this update...I'll see you guys at the 20k mile update!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Update 7/5/17

20k Mile Update

-Cross-rotated F->B

-Miles on Tires ~20,000

-Avg. Tread Depth 5/32

Again, I measured 4 spots across each tire.

LF- 6/32 5/32 6/32 5/32 -- 5/32 6/32 6/32 6/32 - RF

LR- 5/32 5/32 5/32 5/32 -- 5/32 5/32 5/32 5/32 - RR

Tread wear seems to be right on track with the trend I've seen for the last 20k miles. Rears appear to have worn a little more this interval compared to the fronts, but still very even w/o any feathering/cupping.

I did ~2k miles of towing this time.....~850 pulling the Scamp and the rest was my utility trailer with plastic tubs full of stuff. We are moving at the end of the month and have been making multiple 350 mile round trips to the new house slowing moving stuff in.

The tires are probably halfway through their life at the moment. No noticeable differences in performance or grip in the wet/dry yet. When I started this test I was expecting to get about 30k miles out of them as the manufacturer's tread life estimates always seem a little optimistic.

At this point I should hit 30k no problem and I think 40k should be doable at the rate they are wearing. The 45k that Michelin estimates for this size/compound might be pushing it if they continue to wear at the current rate of ~1/32 (maybe slightly less) per 5k miles. That would put them at roughly 2/32 depending on my driving style for the next 25k miles.

I don't really have any complaints though. Everything seems "as advertised" and I would be perfectly happy getting 35k-40k out of them, especially with all the towing I do.

Here are a few pics as they were last night....

Front

DSC00821 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC00824 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC00823 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Rear

DSC00826 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC00834 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC00835 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC00837 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Thanks for reading! See you at 25k!

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Another view for comparison:

OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL 400 tires at 49,555 miles on my 2013 JSW TDI 6M measure 5/32 all around.

Comp dealer 10k rotation (First 3 were included with 2013 price.

40,000 service visit covered by VW complimentary 'Diesel Gate' credit card(s)...............

all the best,

ez (awaiting Buyback funding for GSW 1.8 turbo 5M - - - - or 1.4 turbo Jetta S 5M (gets unreal - for an 87 fuel user - MPG per Fuelly.com)

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Another view for comparison:

OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL 400 tires at 49,555 miles on my 2013 JSW TDI 6M measure 5/32 all around.

Comp dealer 10k rotation (First 3 were included with 2013 price.

40,000 service visit covered by VW complimentary 'Diesel Gate' credit card(s)...............

all the best,

ez (awaiting Buyback funding for GSW 1.8 turbo 5M - - - - or 1.4 turbo Jetta S 5M (gets unreal - for an 87 fuel user - MPG per Fuelly.com)
Seems about right for a non-UHP all season tire.......Interesting to see the mileage hit I'm taking by using a more performance oriented all season.

PS. Get the GSW! lol

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Treg TDi Exec, 2010 JSW TDi DSG
Thanks for the review and updates!

My step-dad got me hooked on the Michigan tires as he calls them.

I now run them on pretty much everything I can LOL

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I just turned 8K and did my first rotation two weeks ago. They are looking good, except for slow leak in one tire, from a screw that is living in my tire right now.

Just after I put the Pilots on, I installed DIY, a set of Touring TC Billstein shocks and struts with new upper bearing. I was surprised my OEM shocks and struts were shot, made a YouTube video showing how weak they were. The new shocks and struts have much much stiffer dampening and fast extension.

The OEM's I took out at 86K were very easy to compress with one hand and would extend like a snail or not fully. That blew me away. I thought I was wasting money replacing the suspension before 120K... Nope, the OEM stuff was shot....

With the new tires and shocks/struts, with firmer damping and faster extension, it made a huge difference. I also put in a 24mm rear sway. Now the car is just at the verge of being two stiff. Fine overall, but now I avoid the buckled and pot holes in the street... like a plague. However I take turns faster and flatter and mo-fun....

It is a stiffer ride tire/suspension combo. However it corners nice. The biggest difference is when I carry a full load of heavy cargo in the back. if I fold the seats and fill it with 67cu-ft of heavy cargo, the stock suspension makes the car handle poorly to even adversely. I have to slow to below on-ramp posted speeds. Now it drives very nice, normal, with cargo or trailer. I have a Westfalia trailer hitch and VW wiring.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for your thoughts on the Bilstein TC. Those are always my go to when replacing stock struts. Both my 1991 535i and 2004 545i have them. I didn't notice them being much different than stock, but those are heavier cars than the Golf.

Did you drive the car with just the new struts before installing the swaybar? I don't really want to harsh the ride too much, but if the handling is better without the ride quality suffering too much I may go with the TC when mine need replaced.

Also, did you initially change them because could really tell they were worn or more of a preventive replacement? I'm at 60k now and mine still feel great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Update 12/26/2017

-25k Update-

-Rotated F->B on same side for this interval.

-Miles on Tires 25,010

-Avg. Tread Depth 4/32-5/32

As always, I measured 4 spots across each tire.

LF- 5/32 4/32 4/32 4/32 -- 4/32 4/32 4/32 5/32 - RF

LR- 5/32 5/32 5/32 4/32 -- 5/32 5/32 5/32 5/32 - RR

Another good run with no complaints. Only had about 500-600 miles of Scamp towing this cycle, but airbags seem to be doing a great job of minimizing camber wear while towing.

Other than that just normal hwy/city driving....not much spirited driving this time around either. I'd say it's about a 50/50 split city/hwy. My commute changed since last time to 15-20 miles per day on 40-55mph roads.

Now, as far as expected longevity. I'm thinking 35k is probably going to be where I call it and start tire shopping, but it really depends on what time of year I hit that mileage. I should make it through the spring/early summer 2018 rains just fine and I'll have ~30k on them by then. Summer won't be a problem and we have relatively dry weather in the fall and pretty much zero snow in the winter.

Anyway, I'll see what they look like at 30K and go from there. On to a couple current pics from today.

*Note* I run them at ~34psi on all 4 corners during normal driving. When towing I run the rears at 40psi and keep the fronts at 34.

*Note* I have not had the car aligned since these tires were installed new. I cannot feel a hint of feathering or irregular wear and they have been wearing pretty damn evenly. Take a look.

Front-

DSC01362 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC01363 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC01364 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC01365 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Rear-

DSC01367 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC01368 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC01370 by DerekG710, on Flickr

DSC01369 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Thanks for reading! See you at 30k!

Last edited:

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Thank you for doing this. I was considering these tires for my next set, but...
I typically replace my tires when the tread gets down to 4/32. My previous 4 sets got there right at 40k. Usually, by that point, I don't trust the tires to perform an emergency stop/turn in the wet.

It looks like you'll hit 4/32 right at 30k, (which is surprising considering a tire with a 45k warranty) so I'm curious to see how they handle beyond the 4/32 mark. If they handle just fine for you I may be happy to trust the tread to 2/32 which looks like should happen right around 40k. Hope they handle well!

Thanks again!

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for doing this. I was considering these tires for my next set, but...
I typically replace my tires when the tread gets down to 4/32. My previous 4 sets got there right at 40k. Usually, by that point, I don't trust the tires to perform an emergency stop/turn in the wet.
It looks like you'll hit 4/32 right at 30k, (which is surprising considering a tire with a 45k warranty) so I'm curious to see how they handle beyond the 4/32 mark. If they handle just fine for you I may be happy to trust the tread to 2/32 which looks like should happen right around 40k. Hope they handle well!
Thanks again!
No problem man! Glad I could help.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the handling once they reach less than 4/32. I'm not going to push for 45k if I feel there is a safety risk. If I wanted max mileage I would have bought some LRR touring all-seasons.

One thing I will say is that I think you would have a better chance of hitting the 40-45k under more normal conditions. Almost half of the mileage on these tires so far has been either with the car fully loaded (3 people + roof box) or towing.

LPalmer

TDI
2012 Golf TDI Manual
@DerekG -- Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but can you tell us how fuel mileage with these tires compares vs. the stock Conti's? Thanks.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
I put a set of these onto some 19" Konig Oversteers. Like em a lot, but i did lose about 3-4 mpg.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
@DerekG -- Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but can you tell us how fuel mileage with these tires compares vs. the stock Conti's? Thanks.
I would love to have a great answer to that, but my driving isn't consistent enough to be able to discern a 3-4mpg discrepancy. I honestly haven't noticed any difference at all, in fact I had 2 of my highest MPG tanks when these tires had less than 15k on them, 52.1 and 54.2.

Without spreadsheeting my last ~60 tanks on the Michelins vs the previous ~100 tanks on the conti's I can't say for sure...only that I haven't noticed a change.

My all highway tanks (when I have a naked roof and not towing) are still well into the mid-40s like they were with the conti's. The two biggest differences between them are grip and wear....predictably. I changed out the Conti's at 40k and they still measured 4/32. I would have left them on longer, but we were about to take a ~3k mile trip with a fully loaded car + roof box though some great driving roads in TN and NC.

I put a set of these onto some 19" Konig Oversteers. Like em a lot, but i did lose about 3-4 mpg.
Did you change tires and wheels at the same time or just the tires?

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
Quick question to OP: Are you fixed? My 2010 6M took a bunch in the nads upon the fix. From 37-38 City & 39-42hwy (depending on my speeding of course) down to 34-36mpg (hard calc at fillups)

I don't expect tire selection to help me, I'm just curious.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Quick question to OP: Are you fixed? My 2010 6M took a bunch in the nads upon the fix. From 37-38 City & 39-42hwy (depending on my speeding of course) down to 34-36mpg (hard calc at fillups)

I don't expect tire selection to help me, I'm just curious.
Not getting the fix. I sold all my stock emissions equipment before dieselgate. Not worth the time, $, and effort at this point to source the stock parts, have them installed, get the fix, and un-install them. Most of the restitution payment would be eaten up in that process and I really don't have time to mess with it as a full time grad student.

I'm at 66k now and have been straight piped since 30k. I just finished installing 2micron's pure and containflow kits so I'm in it for the long haul :)

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
*30K Mile Update

-Cross-rotated F->B on this cycle.

-Miles on Tires 30,151

-Avg. Tread Depth 4/32

As always, I measured 4 spots across each tire.

LF- 4/32 4/32 4/32 4/32 -- 4/32 4/32 4/32 4/32 - RF

LR- 4/32 4/32 4/32 4/32 -- 4/32 4/32 4/32 4/32 - RR

Pretty easy normal run this time. Pretty much zero towing and not much spirited driving. Probably 60/40 mix of highway/city driving.

No noticeable difference in noise compared to last rotation and handling seems just fine in the wet and dry. Still happy with them and will probably buy them again since our main road trip car is now the Tig. I really don't have to worry about treadlife as much since my yearly mileage will likely decrease until I start rotations/residency in a couple years.

A few pics of one tire since they are all at the same tread depth...

LRG_DSC03896 by DerekG710, on Flickr

LRG_DSC03897 by DerekG710, on Flickr

LRG_DSC03898 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Also as a side note. I would suggest removing the two lower screws on the inner fender liner behind the front tires and remove the (moist) debris. It was a problem on the mkiv I believe and it seems as though it still is on the mkvi.

LRG_DSC03900 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Anyway. Thanks for reading this update guys! I'm pretty confident now that with my driving style change that 35k shouldn't be a problem so I'll update then and assess if 40k is doable or if I need to start shopping.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
YEP take the scews out of the aft lower inner fender wheelwell liner. Peal it back and get the wet mud and dirt out.
There is foam insulation that gets wet and sits there. I cut it out. This is a RUST maker. My car is rust free because
it his lived below the snow belt. Everyone should take that foam out of the aft lower wheel well.

As far as tires my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ have 2 years and 20K miles, going strong. I have rotated them about
3 times. I don't have tread depth but eye ball says they are good for at least another 20K.

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll be at 35k pretty soon. Looking at them now I think 40k will be doable. I'm at 72k and next rotation is at 75k. Should reach than before summer for sure.

I haven't driven as much this winter...too cold for mountain bike trips and taking 22 credit hours in optometry school plus clinic lol We also bought a 2018 Tiguan so it sees more mileage at the moment than my TDI with two kids in car seats.

I will definitely update when the time comes, but I would 100% recommend these tires if you are considering them. I plan to replace them with another set.

Last edited:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
^^^

Me too! These tires are amazing!

After running economy tires for years. After a year or two, I want to toss them in the trash, I realized that there really isn't any economy in getting the cheap tires.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to your 35k report!

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Working on 35k report now with pics. Will be replacing them sooner than anticipated....stay tuned!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
What do you plan on replacing them with? I got me some Michelin Premier A/S and I love them!
Just ordered another set of AS3+ ;)

Considered going Pilot Sport 4s for fun since my yearly mileage is so low now, but I still need cold weather performance.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Penultimate Update! 35K Wow, I only drove it 5k in a year.

Rotated Front to back on the same side (for now).

Miles on tires - 34,907

Treadwear -

Fronts - 3/32nds

Rears - 4/32nds

Towards the end of this run I definitely noticed a decrease of performance in moderate/heavy rain when it pools a little on the highway (especially up front). Dry performance is still 100% and feels grippy as ever, but noticing more road noise for sure on sub-par pavement.

I had planned on trying to squeeze 40k out of them and probably would have if summer was coming up, but after what I found today and the decrease in wet grip I think I'm going to call it here and start shopping.

Here's a pic of the front-

and rear -

So I found some damage on one of the fronts. It hasn't been leaking and I have zero vibrations on the highway, but there is a tear/puncture that is revealing some broken wires and the tread block has a bit of deformation. I don't remember hitting anything and I have no idea how long it has been there.

It made me a little nervous after seeing it since I just did a few hundred miles of 70-80mph highway trips last weekend. Who knows how long it has been open exposing the steel to water.

Luckily they are near the end of their useful life and I don't see any need to push for more miles. New tires should be mounted in a week or so and I'll do a final update with all my thoughts.

Last edited:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Thanks for the perseverance to keep us informed.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Final Update!

Time to bring this thread to a close :) It ended up taking longer than I expected and these tires are no longer a "new" design, but I can't just leave the ending open lol

Had the new tires fitted yesterday. If you don't want to read any further about my thoughts, opinions, and if I would recommend these tires; just know I did in fact replace them with another set of A/S 3+ :)

Final Stats

Miles on tires - 35,199
Avg Front Tread Depth 3/32
Avg Rear Tread Depth 4/32
Number of Patches - 2 (on the same tire)
Number of Flats - 0

So, clearly I enjoyed them enough to purchase another set and here are my top 3 (anecdotal) reasons for doing so.

1. Performance.
Hands down best UHP all-season I've tried. I never seemed to run out of grip, even on my last day with them the cornering ability was fantastic. I also had more than a couple emergent braking situations over the life of these tires and I never heard a single screech with my foot planted to the floor.

2. Wear.
Not for their longevity, but for how evenly they wore. I've never had a tire wear so evenly before. I know that alignment is a big part of that, but to be so perfectly worn in terms of depth and absolute lack of any signs of feathering or other abnormalities I found impressive.

I actually didn't even get an alignment when I had the new set installed yesterday (I know it's sacrilegious). I've never done that before, but I plan to watch them really close for the first few thousand miles with frequent depth checks just to make sure and if I notice anything weird I'll be able to get it aligned before any real damage is done.

3. Value
At least in the 225/45/r17 version they are super affordable. The performance at this price point is ridiculous. I bought the new set from Discount Tire Direct. They had a $50 off special and Michelin had a $70 rebate. Total price was $468 all in.

Overall they're great!

Not the softest (re; comfortable), the most quiet, or the longest lasting, but their ability to excel at exactly what they were designed to do is 2nd to none. The Golf is by no stretch a "sports car", but it is undoubtedly fun to drive and handles really great for what it is.

To have a tire that can handle the wet and cold with ease and also confidently rip up the curvy back roads in the summer (faster than I should probably go on public roads) is what really made me a fan boy :) Don't hesitate to try them out if this category of tire is something you are considering.

Anyway. Thanks for reading and hanging in there until the end lol (Sorry it took so long).

Here's to the next 40k miles.....I think I can make it this time ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:

JediJoker

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I can't imagine knocking the longevity of a 500TW tire that lasted you more than 35K miles and wasn't even down to the wear bars. I don't think I've ever gotten that much life out of a tire in this performance category. In fact, I've gotten less out of tires with higher treadwear ratings.

For the record, I've been running this tire on my JSW, same size. I had previously run the Pilot Sport A/S+ in 215/55R16 on my '01 A6 and liked it well enough. The 3+ is even better and probably the best all-around tire I've driven. It handles dry, wet, hot, cold, and even light snow with aplomb. More remarkable still, I've put three track events (five days) on the set and while plainly not the grippiest, I did not feel let down at all.

If I'm going to continue running just one set of tires, it's probably going to be the 3+ again or its successor.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
I have the AS3+ on my 2012 - unfortunately they sat on the car while it was stored after it was turned in by prior owner. Suffice to say they did not age well just sitting in storage, they still look newish with no visible cracking but I guess the rubber just dried out without cracking. Traction is extremely poor to say the least, WOT from a stop is not possible as the wheels just spin away excessively until ASR kicks in and shuts down the party.

After your review I think I am going to give a new set of AS3+ another go. Its a $30 difference per tire between the Sport A/S 3+ and the Premier A/S. I had the Premier A/S on a prior car and while they were amazing tires the treadwear was beyond horrific so cannot justify the extra cost. The Premier start out with low tread depth (8/32") and wear pretty quickly, I would have been lucky to get 20k out of them on my MB C300 RWD - seems to be pretty common issue with that tire despite the 60k warranty.