Battery upgrades for 2015 GSW?

TDI4evah

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Hi All;

My 2015GSW, purchased last halloween, refuses to start in this cold weather (0 to low negative degrees). The dealer says the battery is only warranted for 2 years and won't replace it under warranty.

I talked with the local service manager, and they swear the TDI's use the same battery as their gas counterparts. The parts manager said the rating is for 360 CCA. A friend of mine just put a new battery in his 2003 jetta that was rated at 800 CCA.

360 sounds absurd to me for a diesel in Maine winters. Has anyone upgraded their battery? What should I look for when I replace this one?

TIA

jdstrd

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
I just put a new interstate in my 2015 GSW TDI S model. I went with the larger battery that went in the the SEL'S (girlfriend has a SEL). So I know that the TDI models (at least mine) have diffent batterys.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
VW did down size the battery of the '15 TDIs compared to 09-14 TDI.

Heres a good write up that applies to a TSI going for a larger battery, it applies to the GSW TDI as well.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

Moral of the story, the battery bracket can be moved and larger series "096" battery can fit. Dealer won't be much help with getting you the larger battery unless you call out the specific part number of an '09-'14 TDI battery.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Hi All;

My 2015GSW, purchased last halloween, refuses to start in this cold weather (0 to low negative degrees). The dealer says the battery is only warranted for 2 years and won't replace it under warranty.

I talked with the local service manager, and they swear the TDI's use the same battery as their gas counterparts. The parts manager said the rating is for 360 CCA. A friend of mine just put a new battery in his 2003 jetta that was rated at 800 CCA.

360 sounds absurd to me for a diesel in Maine winters. Has anyone upgraded their battery? What should I look for when I replace this one?

TIA
The parts manager must have been quoting the DIN amperage rating. 360A DIN is equivalent to about 650 CCA SAE. Here's a conversion table with SAE, EN, and DIN ratings:

https://www.scribd.com/mobile/document/349391165/CTEK-Conversion-Table-From-DIN-to-CCA

Last edited:

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Here’s a very well researched thread on upgrading the battery.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

Looks like some changes are required with VCDS for the car to accept and manage the new/different battery properly. The computer/alternator must charge differently for different types and sizes of battery?

Perhaps just for cars with Battery Control Modules, BCM, which comes as part of stop and start feature

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
The larger Group 48 Bosch AGM fits great. Move the bracket to the end, replace the blanket with the larger one in that link and all's good.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Hi All;

Did you buy it as new last halloween? If so they were supposed to put in a fresh battery I believe and you should be under warranty.

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
I found my battery dead yesterday after our recent cold snap.
I was able to find one Bosch Group 48 AGM at a not-too-nearby pepboys. The Install was much easier than I expected and I didn't even have to pull the airbox. Recoding for the new battery and clearing all the codes took more time than the swap.

I haven't had a chance to replace the battery blanket yet so I just used the old one (with a gap in the back). I also had an oddity that I couldn't find the adaptation in VCDS to enable the battery SOC indicator but it isn't a big deal.

Thanks everyone for the help (here and on golfmk7) especially to viking for the confirmation that the Bosch group 48 fits.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Has anyone in the Midwest done the larger battery upgrade on their 2015 ./ 2016 Golf TDI ?

I would love to get this done to my 2015 Golf TDI Wagen, but I don't have the computer / vag com to change the vehicle settings accordingly.

Anyone between Chicago, IL and Iowa City. IA willing to help me out ?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
swap to the next size up as indicated by the links, due to the smaht ECU/BCM it changes how it charges the battery depending on size and type, so he's looking to have some help with coding.

I'd wonder what percentage of life you gain by coding, 5-10% so 2-3 months?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Reason I asked is some A7 Golfs have the 60 Ah unit, some have the larger 70 Ah unit already. I don't think you can physically fit the big 80 Ah unit in there and still have it be secure.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
I'll double check the battery size and PM you.
I can put in a larger battery I just cannot code it.
It works pretty hard on the cold days to crank it up so the bigger the better in terms of the CCA. Are you offering to code it if I make the 6 hour drive to St. Louis ?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
My a7 tdi has the 61 ah battery and it only mesures about 60% of rated capacuty after 5 months of ownership. Resulted in a no start, then started later. Looks like original almost three year old battery but couldn't read date. Was told it was a 12/12 month warranty item.