If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
Leaving the dealership that accomodated my buyback, I told the salesman what I was looking for (2017 Golf Wolfsburg w/manual). Since then, I have received a number of emails from their internet salesforce and I have told them what I am willing to pay based on a Wolfsburg AT priced in WA State less 1100 for a manual. I have yet to hear back so perhaps they really are not interested in my business.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Why do you think I bought a BMW? ;)

I was ready and willing to buy a 2017 GTI Autobahn with a manual in Carbon Steel Grey. I found 4 of them in the greater D.C. area and e-mailed my dealer with details. Told them my price (the price they'd already quoted me for the same car, just the wrong color) and said I'd buy it immediately if they did a dealer swap for the color I wanted.

They never got back to me... When I turned my car in for the buyback the salesman asked what I was planning to do to replace it. I told him "I e-mailed you 3 weeks ago about what I planned to do... you never answered me. Now I am buying a BMW because you guys don't want my business"

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I was ready and willing to buy a 2017 GTI Autobahn with a manual in Carbon Steel Grey. I found 4 of them in the greater D.C. area and e-mailed my dealer with details. Told them my price (the price they'd already quoted me for the same car, just the wrong color) and said I'd buy it immediately if they did a dealer swap for the color I wanted.
They never got back to me... When I turned my car in for the buyback the salesman asked what I was planning to do to replace it. I told him "I e-mailed you 3 weeks ago about what I planned to do... you never answered me. Now I am buying a BMW because you guys don't want my business"
Will they ever learn:D

While dealer swaps are a mess ~~

Floor sales REPs sometimes make a boo-coo in $$$$s for one commission:eek:

Not to mention "spiffs" and 5-10-15-20 car bonuses

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
There are, to my knowledge, at least 10 VW dealers in the greater D.C. area, probably more but I know 10 of them. Dealer swaps are quite commonplace around here, 2 of those dealers, including the one I went to, are owned by the same person so swaps for them are cake.

One of the CSG cars I wanted was at the other dealer owned by the same guy; all they had to do was transfer it and I'd have been fine going with that instead of the BMW ;)

But oh well... I'll suffer with the BMW instead I guess... :D

jhawklver

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI

Why not buy from the other dealer(s)? Not sure how far you are but if you had 4 in your metro, you could/should have had those dealers fighting over your business by being willing to travel a bit.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
There are, to my knowledge, at least 10 VW dealers in the greater D.C. area, probably more but I know 10 of them. Dealer swaps are quite commonplace around here, 2 of those dealers, including the one I went to, are owned by the same person so swaps for them are cake.

One of the CSG cars I wanted was at the other dealer owned by the same guy; all they had to do was transfer it and I'd have been fine going with that instead of the BMW ;)

But oh well... I'll suffer with the BMW instead I guess... :D
I had a similar experience. Thought they could do a transfer but they said they had trouble finding one. Seemed like limited inventory, but I could check online and see that there didn't seem to be Autobahns in the area, for example. Eventually, they called and said they had one coming in, but I had already given up on them (particularly as they wouldn't talk pricing and I wasn't sure if I'd get a decent deal after all the waiting) and got.... a used BMW. So, yeah, like you, I'll suffer with the BMW. It's not all win - the Autobahn has a ton more features, but buying used, the BMW was a lot cheaper, so there's that. The GTI is faster, has more features, but the BMW is a nice change of pace, and the brand has more snob-appeal.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
When I bought my JSW the old salesman got on the computer and founding in Memphis 340 miles away. He had some kid drive it down and it was there by the next afternoon which happened to be saturday. I don't think they would go to that much trouble 4.25 years later or now.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Why not buy from the other dealer(s)? Not sure how far you are but if you had 4 in your metro, you could/should have had those dealers fighting over your business by being willing to travel a bit.
I am willing to travel to other dealers, and have in the past. But it was price and logistics in this case; I was turning my car in for buyback at this dealer (mid-week), so cars and drivers became an issue trying to get to a different dealer. As for price, I'd already had the dealers fighting each other over pricing, and had this dealer down to $8K below MSRP; no other dealer would give me that price. They got close, but add in the up to 100 mile trip and theri "close" wasn't so worth it.

In the end, I actually drove ~160 miles away to the BMW dealer I bought from; but that was a week later and on a Saturday so my wife could ride along and drive the car home. Like I said, I don't mind driving to get the car and deal I want, but you gotta make it worthwhile ;)

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I had a 2009 and 2013 JSWs that I used for towing my 16'Scamp along with normal duty.
I ended up getting a 2016 Town and Country for towing and grandchild / family duty and a 2015 Passat 1.8 TSI for around town.
We drive the one that best fits the use which is usually the Passat around town.
The Passat has more room than the Jettas (Except the wagon rear end) and the
The fuel is mileage is close to the TDI and the power is good too.
Our around town/highway average is around 35 mpg and highway close to 40.
Short trips are close to the TDI and long close as well.
The fuel cost is lower and I think that the lower cost fuel along with the lower cost maintenance puts the 1.8 TSI ahead of the TDI in operating costs.
Luckily one of the VW dealers mentioned the regular fuel turbo TSI and we test drove one and liked it.
We had a heck of a time finding a low mileage SE with the light interior in white, but we finally did.
It cost a little more than we wanted to pay, but ...........

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am willing to travel to other dealers, and have in the past. But it was price and logistics in this case; I was turning my car in for buyback at this dealer, so cars and drivers became an issue trying to get to a different dealer. As for price, I'd already had the dealers fighting each other over pricing, and had this dealer down to $8K below MSRP; no other dealer would give me that price. They got close, but add in the up to 100 mile trip and theri "close" wasn't so worth it.

In the end, I actually drove ~160 miles away to the BMW dealer I bought from; but that was a week later and on a Saturday so my wife could ride along and drive the car home. Like I said, I don't mind driving to get the car and deal I want, but you gotta make it worthwhile ;)
Last (3) cars we bought ~~ we had them delivered to the driveway.

The 2015 Golf came from more than 350 miles.

Her 2015 RAV4 LIMITED was from OKC ~~ 'bout 100 miles

The Camry was from Stillwater ~~ 'bout 77 miles.

...... but ~~ you got a whale of a discount @ $8 off MSRP:D

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I would have... Never actually got the car because they wouldn't answer my e-mails... :)

OH well; as I said I'm happy with the BMW. I drove to PA to get this one because it had all the options I wanted on it, rather than settling for a lower equipped one.

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
I looked at some of these - I was shocked at the storage difference between the Kia and the Elantra. Like, WOW! The Kia was level with the bumper for the back and the Elantra dipped down. Storage was my number one thing so that was a deal breaker for me.
The Focus hatch - the back seat didn't lie flat - as in, angled enough it would make a great place to watch a movie at the drive in. They are in abundance here in C FL certified and cheap. I kept hearing about issues with them though, and my daughter even said a friend of hers seems to be at the dealer weekly dealing with some issue. So that got scratched.
Mazda 3 - there was not enough room in the back seat for my 3 girl teens. I loved everything else about it - but for us with the need to have 5 in the car for hour long drives it wasn't going to work.
Crosstrek was high on my wishlist - but out of my budget.
I need ground clearance ideally - so for me I went with a CPO Tucson. It was a great internet deal (no quibbles on price - what I saw online was what I was buying - LOVED that part!), 2015, 35k miles and $12.9k I sprung for the warranty wrap and now have a bumper to bumper for 10/120k miles.
I"m happy, loving the large side mirrors - don't miss the blind spot aspect because they are just BIG, over all I got it Friday night and i'm almost thru my 2nd tank of gas (hey, I was 4 hours from home when I bought it! LOL) and I'm happy. It is basic transportation, the seats are comfy - the base GLS seats were more comfy than the heated ones in the Limited I drove. I don't scrape the dirt in my driveway now - all 700 ft of dirt that it is, and I won't have to worry about major repairs for a long while.
I totally get what you mean though - I had also reached the point of needing to go look at them. It helped a lot.
Good luck on the search!! You have my sympathies. LOL
Thanks for the feedback!

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
I was thinking yesterday, those of you looking for hatches for space reasons - be sure to take a look at the Honda HRV. I never drove it, but I loved the space it had. Based on the Fit, but more sporty and SUV-like (types the one with the 700ft dirt driveway that made her cringe in the NB & JSW).

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Checked out a Chevy Bolt yesterday. Wow, is that an insanely over-priced car, even with the $10k of rebates. Cheap feeling interior, cramped seating (unless you're a short, reed-thin stick person), and just uncomfortable. Much rather have an e-golf, regardless of how far the Bolt goes on a charge.
Still haven't found a better replacement with regards to mileage, price and quality build than the Kia Niro so far. It would be nice if the Mazda CX-5 diesel mpg rating were available somewhere...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Cramped seating? Are you sure it was a Bolt that you sat in, and not a Volt? Because the Bolt I sat in at the Detroit Auto Show was absurdly roomy (and I ain't short, and "reed-thin" is a word that has never come close to describing me). The Volt, OTOH, is not.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Cramped seating? Are you sure it was a Bolt that you sat in, and not a Volt? Because the Bolt I sat in at the Detroit Auto Show was absurdly roomy (and I ain't short, and "reed-thin" is a word that has never come close to describing me). The Volt, OTOH, is not.
yup, a Bolt. Yesterday in a showroom. I'm 6'0", 180. wife is also 6'0". With her in drivers seat, I could barely get comfortable behind her, knees up against front seat, sitting in the uncomfortable, rigid, upright rear seat. We test both front and back comfort levels. If both of us sat in the back, the person in the middle, the one Chevy says would be comfortable, really wouldn't be...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
When I sat in the Bolt EV at the auto show, I was actually impressed with how big it is inside for a small car. Of course, one can't really get an idea for how a car fits just by sitting in it at a car show.

On a YouTube car review that I can't seem to find right now, the reviewer mentions the skinny seat, measures them, and finds out that they're 2" narrower than most standard car seats. So yeah - ergonomics don't sound great dispite it feeling okay at the auto show.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW

Not sure which Volt you are familiar with.

I sat in a Gen 2 and thought it was tight (2016+).

I purchased a Gen 1 (2015) a couple weeks ago and find it as comfortable and roomy (in the front...where I sit) as my TDI wagon was.

This Volt handles better, has better torque off the line and in 300 miles of driving, I have yet to burn any petrol.

The Sportwagon had better cargo room by a long shot, but this is my commuter car, so not an issue.

And truth be told, the Volt propulsion system is statistically more reliable than the TDI's.

Certainly not here to bash any of my 5 former VW cars...but I am really enjoying the Volt and not missing the TDI wagon at all. Yes, I was concerned that I would have seller's remorse...but none can be found!

I am getting 50 miles on a charge (I have a 28 mile round-trip commute). The Volt is in the garage quietly sipping 8.6 cent/kWh electrons, in preparation for tomorrow's driving.

My daily commute consumed $1.68 of diesel (at $2.40 per gallon) and now instead uses 47 cents of electricity.

And if I want to drive cross-country, the gas engine/generator are there to go the distance without the benefit of a plug-in.

Digging it...:D

Dangerous_Dan

TDI
1998 Jetta, 2017 Jaguar XE 20d
Adios VW, Jaguar ahoy!

My first VW diesel was a 1980 Rabbit, which got a verified 48 MPG. Since then I have had several VW diesels, and a gas Micro bus. But I just plain don't want to be stuck with an orphan, so the 1998 Jetta is on Craig's List and the 2013 Jetta is going back to VW for more than I paid for it.

Additionally, I have worked in engineering for two different vehicle manufacturers, and I suspect that if I had suggested that at my previous automotive place they would have walked me out the door. I know 100% that my current employer would. It greatly reduces my trust in VWAG.

In its place there will be a 2017 Jaguar XE 20d diesel. I figure I had the use of the Jetta for 4 years at almost no cost, so I can splurge on a car I would otherwise never buy. And now that I am living where they put muck on the roads to rust out cars and melt ice the aluminum Jag will be a fairly low cost long term (20 years or so) purchase.

This will be my third English vehicle, and while neither of the previous two was reliable, they both were brilliant in their intended use. I have heard nothing but good things about Jaguar under the Tata administration, so I am going to take the risk.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
I'm going from an 2012 a3 tdi (gets dropped off next Thursday) to a 2014 Toureg tdi. 3.0 dieselgate doesn't bother me in the slightest and am very much looking forward to the Touareg. Really could use a truck but can't justify lousy gas mileage for actual percentage of time a truck would be used as such. Already have a couple trailers and the Touareg will tow those easily and also be great long distance travel vehicle.
Having said that I just bought a 2015 Golf 1.8 tdi SEL. Fantastic car, I can only imagine what the tdi version is like. That MQB platform is miles ahead of the Audi A3(I really liked the a3, just couldn't pass up the financial windfall). Got the Golf as a daily for my wife, she never really liked the Jetta, but tolerated it enough till now. Golf is getting 36 around town (hand calculated, same pump) haven't had a highway trip yet.
If I wasn't buying the Touareg I'd be looking for a Golf Sportwagen. Baffling though that real leather is not available even in an SEL.

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
Just purchased my replacement for the SW.

After my lovely wife told me not to complain about the cost of 'parts' for my new "used" vehicle I went for it. The 2012 SW is going back to VW, now driving a beautiful CPO Audi A6 Prestige.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Anyone gotten the "fix"on one of the 2015 tdi's yet? I'm wondering how much the mpg decreases. Thinking about going for one of these "fixed new ones" from the dealer after my buyback.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone gotten the "fix"on one of the 2015 tdi's yet? I'm wondering how much the mpg decreases. Thinking about going for one of these "fixed new ones" from the dealer after my buyback.
That's the 9 dollar question.

I too am trying to figure out the MPG situation after the fix.

Everyone I talk to is optimistic. Truth is no one knows for sure.

One thing for surer, I believe the warranty is over whelming

IMO - The "NEW" 2015 TDi will be slow to come on the market ~~ cause they have to be 100 % "fixed" before they will be offered for retail ~~ guessing.

You might be able to find a new-ish low mile 2015 TDI right here on TDICLUB

Look in the cars wanted or for sale thread

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
There are some comments within this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472678

That's only the first part of the fix, but, so far, most are reporting either no change in mileage or better mileage and better launching power.

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
In the spirit of the title of this thread...
I ended up with a Hyundai Sonata plugin hybrid.

I wanted to optimize commuting fuel mileage (~6 miles each way) and driving comfort, but it also had to be driveable by the 5'4" wife, and I wanted to continue my photography mini road trips (Jetta TDI training :) ). Cargo and 4WD were secondary considerations.

• I looked at the Volt, but 6'4" people shouldn't even be allowed to test drive them because they are too tall for those vehicles. Its not a comfort issue, its a safety issue.
  • The Malibu Hybrid was very nice, comfortable, and drove really nice. It was a strong contender, but not a plugin. If I decided to go hybrid, I might have ended up with one. Although Chevy's historical reliability was a concern, it uses the Volt drivetrain, which seems to be OK.
  • I considered the Kia Optima plugin, but there aren't any in our area yet and I just couldn't wait any longer.
  • I liked the Ford C-Max plugin. The wife liked them so much she got one about 6 months ago to replace her totaled Expedition. I feel a bit cramped in the driver's seat, but not as much as in other car's I've owned. Reasonable cargo room, rear seats fold down, drives really nice. It had a lot going for it and was a contender all the way up to the end.
  • I considered one of the Subaru Crosstreks. I liked the safety and AWD, but they seemed a bit small inside and my research indicated they were having a rash of expensive transmission problems. They also get really poor fuel mileage -- my 34 year old diesel Mercedes does better on the highway and not too much worse in city driving, and that's comparing it to the hybrid Crosstrek.
  • I considered a Honda CR-V. I'm still missing the cargo room of the Expedition, and this would have lots of cargo room compared to the other vehicles I looked at. Also AWD, good reliability reputation, mature drivetrain design and no mechanical disasters revealed by my research. The fuel mileage wasn't stellar, but the price difference buys a lot of gas and I was getting sick of car hunting. I ended up getting the Sonata before I got around to looking at one of these in detail, but it was next on the list.
  • The wife wanted a hybrid to replace her gas guzzler, so I also got to look at some of those. The Rav 4 was too cramped for me, and the Highlander too spendy.
I ended up really liking the Sonata. I'm able to commute entirely on electric with some left over, and still have the gas engine for the mini road trips. If I get the EPA hwy mileage from it, then it'll be about the equivalent to the Jetta (but way less fun to drive). The interior is very roomy -- this is the first vehicle I've ever driven where I didn't want the seat all the way back and still wishing it'd go back a few more inches. It's also the first vehicle I've ever driven where the door interior is too far away for me to comfortably use the top edge of the door as an elbow rest while I drive. It handles and drives OK, but I've been mostly driving it in eco mode so far -- supposedly Normal mode improves its handling and drivability somewhat.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I just put down a deposit on a Subaru Outback with eyesight. Limited supply had me searching a little bit for a car that would fit our needs and not feel like the wrong compromise. I say it like that because in the end everyone replacing their TDI is making a compromise as they 'can't' replace it with a TDI anymore. We could have been happy with many different cars but in the end here is what made the difference for us.

The Outback has an 18.6 gallon tank and is rated for 33mpg on the freeway, that makes for a decent range between fillups, I dont expect the 610 miles that calculates out to but other owners do report 500+ mile tanks on road trips.

The Outback requires regular fuel, which really is the norm now. Two engines in my short list still want premium (and get worse economy) being the 2.0 Turbo in the GTI/GLI and Subaru Forester/WRX. The new GTI is marketed as use premium for advertised performance but regular is acceptable for use. Subaru hasnt been that relaxed giving their 2.0 the 91 octane required but will run on 87 if not available.

Crash testing results. This mostly was a deciding factor when looking at older used cars, like getting an MK4 TDI wagon. VW's MBQ platform ace'd the tests as did the 14+ Forester and 15+ Outback. All cars with collision avoidance systems got a plus rating too. The eyesight system from Subaru wasn't the a top priority for us, but I will say that it does work pretty well. We owned their 2nd generation system and the outback will have their 3rd generation system so the geek in me is interested to see how different it is, technically there are quite a few changes but that's a different post. Getting a collision avoidance system does mean a few things for owners, sometimes limited paint colors, no hood deflectors or aftermarket bumper approvals. I dont know if changing headlamp bumps to xtrasuperultravision type bulbs would have an effect, but something folks should think about if they are into that.

If anyone out there was looking for a car with a hatch like me we likely considered many of the same vehicles. Subaru was tops at:
  • Value
  • Reliability
  • Safety
  • Utility
  • Fuel Economy
Subaru was not a leader in:
  • Fun to drive
  • Style
  • bells and whistles
My TDI owner experience is lengthy, starting with an MK3 Jetta and now our sportwagen. The MK3 might have been the peak of US market TDIs!

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
FYI, I've known a few people with oil use problems on some Subarus. My co-worker had to get a short block rebuild because hers was so bad. 1qt every fill up.

Not saying anything bad, just pointing out that this issue does exist out there. Otherwise good cars.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I'm replacing my 13 Golf TDI @ 52k miles, with a 14 Q7 TDI @ 42k Miles..

Since my car was mostly paid off, it'll be a lateral moment for me.. roughly the same payments to step into the Q7.

Bought my golf for its towing capabilities, got alot of money invested into my adventure trailer.. a 4cyl gasser is not a viable replacement for me.. I dont commute, but I do drive all over the country, so 80% of the miles on my TDI had the trailer behind it.

Ive got a 2nd son in the oven, and my big Pyrenees has recently become Diabetic so leaving him behind when we leave town is very hard on our house sitter since he requires insulin twice a day..

I'm gaining alot and not compromising on much, I will miss my 6MT, Great turning radius, and cheap tires that last >40k miles.. but I'm gaining alot, more seats, more power, more towing capabilities, awd, adaptive suspension, adaptive cruise control, blind spot radar, leather interior, climatronic, and so much more.

Buying my 2.0 CR TDI ended up being a financial boon that I dont regret at all, probably the 2nd best investment I've made in my life, after buying my house for a steal in April 09..

I'll be loyal to VW for the foreseeable future; cant be mad they cheated when I aftermarket tune all my cars and the actions resulted in me getting hell of an upgrade.. Just hate the idea that a perfectly good car with low miles is going to be removed from circulation.