FS: 2001 TDI Golf 5-speed manual - North Central Indiana

socialworker

TDI
2001 Golf
$3900

I've owned this car for for the past 6 years and put about 50,000miles on it. I was using the car mainly for longer distances (back and forth from MA to IN during grad school, for one) and now have a super short commute to work so needed a different car. Loved the car!

214,000miles
City mileage is 35-40; highway is 45-50
Silver 4-door hatchback

New work (all done around 213,000miles)
Clutch slave and master cylinders - Accelerators, Elkhart, IN
Battery - German Concepts, Mishawaka, IN
Windshield - Adam's Auto Glass, Elkhart, IN
Suspension - German Concepts, Mishawaka, IN
Emergency brake cord - D&T Muffler and Brake, Goshen, IN

Other work
4 new tires (199,702)
Injection pump (202,253)
Starter (193,846)
Ignition Switch (166,886)
Timing Belt (140,000 - second owner did the work, http://www.dieselgeek.com/ALH_TDI_Timing_Belt_Kit_p/tbk-alh.htm)

Has a FROST HEATER with a very convenient plug device, courtesy of my local mechanic. (Can hang outside the hood with a cap or be set inside the hood during the summer) Works great!

Oil: Regularly changed at 5,000. Most of its life has had synthetic. Last 50,000 has not. Don't know about the first owner.

Cosmetic issues

Left mirror was hit by hit-and-run in 2012. I did not replace it and it is kept in place by rope. I've driven many highway miles since then and it has not fallen off.
Bumper could be replaced, currently held in place by bungee cord.
I rear-ended someone (at about 2mph) in 2013: I did not go through insurance, so the right side of the hood and panel have some dents (local body shop fixed it up).

Radio works! Audio tape and CD player are broken
AC needs some tuning up

Vegetable oil converted
Second owner did this. He used some straight veggie oil, and the third owner used less. I have not used any.

I know the previous two owners and have their (and mine) receipts and records. Not sure who the first owner was and have no records for that. Second owner was a mechanic and TDI lover (used this site to help out some issues for me a few times). He did the timing belt: http://www.dieselgeek.com/ALH_TDI_Timing_Belt_Kit_p/tbk-alh.htm, which is rated for 100,000, which will come at 240,000.

Photos
I can send them - sorry I am not tech savvy enough to post them apparently.

Finally - Yes I did read almost all the new user and 'read before posting a FS item' which were very helpful! Thanks! Am a newbie and wanted to post here since I would love the car to go to someone who wants a TDI.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Reading this ad turned me off. Not using synthetic oil? For shame! Veggie oil... For shame. GLWS ull be needing it.

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
"Pardon me if I'm curt" ~the Wolf, Pulp Fiction

Just managing your expectations as many of us are interested in these vintages rides but see the amount of maintenance/repair it would require.

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Still available? Sounds like you've fixed what was needed, and listed what you know isn't perfect.

Electric or manual crank windows?

socialworker

TDI
2001 Golf
Still available!
Electric windows. The right front was fixed right before I bought it in 2009 (for dropping into the door). Haven't had any issues with them.

socialworker

TDI
2001 Golf
I can't speak with certainty about the cam as I am not qualified to assess this. What I can say is that none of the multiple mechanics who have worked on it in the last 1000 miles, as well as the mechanic who serviced it for most of the time I owned it (local diesel guru who has worked on VWs for over 30 years) never mentioned it.
I used standard motor oil. 5000 of the last 50,000 had synthetic, and to my knowledge (and service records), most of its life has had synthetic.