15" Wheels on a TDI vs. 16", 17" Wheels

GolfTDI05

TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS
15\" Wheels on a TDI vs. 16\", 17\" Wheels

Just bought a '05 Golf TDI GlS. I notice the TDI is the only model Golf with 15" wheels. Is this for better gas mileage?
My main question, if I put standard Golf 16" wheels, or even GTI 17" wheels on my TDI, will the speedometer read correctly? WIll this require some playing with the wheel sizes to get it to read correctly, or will the vehicle computer adjust to whatever wheel is put on the vehicle?
Any help would be appreciated! A newby to TDI's here........
Thanks!

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Re: 15\" Wheels on a TDI vs. 16\", 17\" Wheels

The standard tire is 195 65 15". If you plus 1 the wheel size then the tire size is 205 55 16" and if you plus 2 the wheel size the tire is 225 45 17". All these tires have virtually the same diameter and circumference to keep your speedometer reading the same.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray

The first answer is yes. The second answer/s is are a tad more qualified. You can use this handy dandy calculator to get you in the ballpark. When you use the calculator it will become apparent what variables you are solving for.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

However as you probably know, manufacturing specs can and do vary.

What a lot of folks do not realize is the majority of combinations of wheel and tires are heavier than the stock set up. This change combined with wider tires can actually add up to 10 ft in stopping distance.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Re: 15\" Wheels on a TDI vs. 16\", 17\" Wheels

Some say the wider tires also hit the fuel economy - but may be more fun around corners!

GolfTDI05

TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS

Great! Thanks for the fast and good info. Lets see.....cash for bigger rims, more expensive tires, less gas milage vs. more corner fun....Hmmmmm... Kind of like the look better now of those 15" alloy rims that came on it. Thanks again!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray

This is of course not to discourage you in any way BUT for example if you keep your stock rims there are tires (i.e., Yokahama EVS 100) that are a tad bigger, but fit on your stock rims and you will probably feel the "upgrade" from the OEM tires. So with the money you save NOT buying rims- you can buy new tires.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather

I'm running 16" VW OEM Montreal II's. I got better handling and noticed no difference in fuel economy. I'm running OEM Michelin Energys which replaced OEM Continentals... no measurable fuel economy difference. I just bought a new set of 2004 GTI 16" wheels (anyone know the name of these?) and brand new Continentals from someone on Vortex who wanted 18" wheels. I paid $450 for them... pretty good deal I think. I wanted something easier to clean.