CB Radio in a Golf/Jetta !?

ARO

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Does anyone have a CB radio installed in a Golf/Jetta A4 bodystile!? Can you please take a picture and show me where you installed it?

I can't seem to find a place to install it....it's too BIG....I have a Cobra 29 LTD Classic. Dimensions are: 9 X 7 1/4 X 2 1/4.

Thank you

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I have heard of a couple of Ham Radio installs using radios with
remote control heads. But I have heard of ZERO CBs in a late model VW.
You must have or get a FCC license (test required) to use ham radios
and ham frequencies. They upside is a 50 mile range vs. about a 1 to 5
mile range for cb. Also the lanquage is clean on 2 meters, so it is kid
friendly. The test is 35 questions, multiple choice and about as hard
as a driving test... There is NO minimum age and I know a 9 year
old girl that did it with no problems. Many Hams got their start on CB
but were turned off by the lack of performance and filthy language that
you just can't seem to get rid of totally.......
Study books are readily available.
WWW.ARRL.NET
WWW.QRZ.COM

Later,
Bill

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
The woman I bought my car from had a CB radio installed in it.

She had it bolted to the side of the centre console just below the shifter on the passenger side foot well. Not a lot of room, but she never had passengers, when I test drove the car it was there and I really didn't even notice it as far as an inconvenience.

I can't provide pictures obviously because it is not in the car anymore!

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
ARO:

If you end up with install, I'd like to see pictures. I've been thinking of hardwiring a CB for quite some time. I'm particularly interested in stock looking antenna mount.

I use a hand-held in the cup holder. An indespensible piece of road equip. for getting "driver" cross-talk, particularly on interstate accident scenes. Of course the rubber antenna really doesn't service so far...

ARO

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Jay T

I will post pictures after I install my CB and antena....untill then I have to figure out how to post pictures.....maybe someone can explain me how to post pictures....I looked at FAQ and read this:

(Not linked)

(Linked)

I don't get it...I am not good with computers. So, how do I include a picture out of "My Pictures" to my post!?!?

Thank you

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
I have a cobra or midland. They are about the same, but there is no instlation. The radio is all incased into one small handset. You just plug it in. For the antenna I use a "ille" or little wilson. It sticks on with a large magnet. The radio is all incased in the handset. It is small and works perfect. I have two. One in my truck and one in my Passat.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Disclaimer - I am not a CBer and probably suffering from Alzheimer's as well!

There used to be a CB radio manufactured in a single-DIN format that would fit directly into the dashboard (assuming that you have a free DIN slot). I don't recall who made it but Cobra is coming to mind.

It may be worth a search via Google or on EBay.

An alternative would be to get a remote mount transceiver that has all of the controls built into the microphone.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
The best thing about any radio installation of any kind in a TDI is....(drum roll please)....ZERO IGNITION NOISE!!! :cool:
Great when trying to listen to very weak signals that would otherwise be covered up by spark ignition noise in a gasser.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
n1das said:
The best thing about any radio installation of any kind in a TDI is....(drum roll please)....ZERO IGNITION NOISE!!! :cool:
Great when trying to listen to very weak signals that would otherwise be covered up by spark ignition noise in a gasser.

....and the worst thing is using a mini-mag mount until it's old enough to drill a hole for an NMO!

Jack

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Cobra 75 WX ST. Just bought one myself. It has two parts; one is a very small box that can be mounted under the seat; it's like 2"x2"x3". The DC power cord and the coax go into that. The other unit is an oversized mic, that has all the controls on it.

The unit feels weird in the hand, it's actually probably too big for long term comfortable usage; but for me, who only listens when traveling, it looks like it will work well.

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
n1das said:
That's awesome, I never thought of that. Do you run HF? I don't plan on it in the Jetta but it's an interesting thought

daedalus said:
....and the worst thing is using a mini-mag mount until it's old enough to drill a hole for an NMO!
I'm planning on using a "trunk-lip mount" NMO on my A5.. I don't see how that'll be a problem and I am sure it will be completely reversible.

I was actually thinking of putting the Yaesu 8500 (remote head) with the unit in the trunk, and against conventional ham logic use the accessory power plug that's already there (which I believe will source enough current). Anyone seem to think there will be a problem with this?

Where is a good place to mount and/or hide the front panel in an A5? Any suggestions?

73, Fred, W0FMS

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Yep, at 50W out it'll be a problem. While the socket may be rated to 10A, it'll be at 10A with like a volt or more of drop.

Run 10g wire up to under the dashboard. On my A4, the power in is on like a 6g (or better) wire to a stud; there are several other studs on this power distribution block. The big one is the battery feed. I put a 10g wire onto that (using a ring terminal) and ran the power out back to the trunk. I did not run a ground wire; I drilled a hole, cleaned the paint off, and used that for the ground return. The 12V wire was tucked under the plastic pieces to get out of the way. Works good.

Now, that was for my car; I pulled out the compartment that the first aid kit was going to go into, and that gave me enough space mount the radio behind the panel. I have a wagon, though; you may want to locate / need to locate elsewhere.

There was a drain plug in this compartment; I fed the coax out this. The coax then ran up into the tail light area (had to notch that slightly, no impact on the seal though), and then up the hatch to my roof rack mounted antenna. I used some RTV to hold in place; it actually works better than I thought--I had to replace the coax, and that RTV ain't coming off easily (although I don't think it has hurt the paint, just has really good adhesion). I think it was some RTV from Radioshack.

I did put on an HF mount, but wound up taking it off ('817 is just too low power IMHO for mobile HF phone). I have a Hidden Hitch on my car, so I just took a piece of angle stock, and drilled a couple of holes in it to go under one of the screws. A couple years back, there was an article in QST about how to use the tow ring (which is where mine wound up anyhow) to mount an HF antenna; IIRC the article showed a yellow Bug.

KB1CKT

On edit: I used an FT-7800 in mine; I remote mounted the head under the HVAC controls. There was a small plastic piece that pulled right off, yielding a flat surface to mount the head of the radio. I did cut a small piece of wood so that the head sits out a bit, and I put a bit of an angle onto it, so that it would angle up just a bit so I could see it. Trial and error; but if I need to sell the car there is no visible holes for that either.

humanphibian

TDI
2000 jetta, red
Magnum Research Mini Magnum radio is the S#!t in a small radio. They are tiny, and put out BIG WATTS. They come set up for 10meter use, but with a little (very little) research, you can find the jumper schematic to allow use on CB Bands (11 meter).

try this link, the radio is about 1/3 the way down the page:

http://www.radioactiveradios.com/MonsterMobiles.html

they run about $100 (USD) or so.

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
jimlockey said:
I have a cobra or midland. They are about the same, but there is no instlation. The radio is all incased into one small handset. You just plug it in. For the antenna I use a "ille" or little wilson. It sticks on with a large magnet. The radio is all incased in the handset. It is small and works perfect. I have two. One in my truck and one in my Passat.
DO yourself a favor and spend the extra bucks for a Wilson 1000 magnet mount. Guaranteed to get out farther than any antenna anywhere except a larger Wilson. I run one with a Galaxy 949 'CB' and can routinely get 15 miles plus range on the road.

If you are looking for a CB or 10-meter radio, I heartily recommend http://www.claysradioshop.com.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
supton said:
On edit: I used an FT-7800 in mine; I remote mounted the head under the HVAC controls. There was a small plastic piece that pulled right off, yielding a flat surface to mount the head of the radio. I did cut a small piece of wood so that the head sits out a bit, and I put a bit of an angle onto it, so that it would angle up just a bit so I could see it. Trial and error; but if I need to sell the car there is no visible holes for that either.
I don't want to hijack the original poster's thread so maybe we should create a new thread.

Could you post some pictures? It sounds like a nice installation.

Tnx es 73
Jack - WA2OLZ

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
supton said:
Cobra 75 WX ST. Just bought one myself. It has two parts; one is a very small box that can be mounted under the seat; it's like 2"x2"x3". The DC power cord and the coax go into that. The other unit is an oversized mic, that has all the controls on it.

The unit feels weird in the hand, it's actually probably too big for long term comfortable usage; but for me, who only listens when traveling, it looks like it will work well.
I have the same one. Works fairly well for those longer rides on the interstate when your wondering where the Smokeys are at.:rolleyes: Easy enough to hide all the rest of the time.

KB1LNS

whitacre

TDI
2006 TDI New Beetle Pkg 2 Gecko Green!
I bought a CB radio for that reason and to talk with the local truckers on CB. I couldnt hear anything, an that includes on my trip from Vancouver to LA and back. I heard something once in Sacramento because of a bad accident, but no one said anything back to me, and after that i never heard anything.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Whitacre, were you on channel 19? The truckers tend to talk it up there; although if you are in the middle of nowhere or if it is off hours, there may not be much. Alternatively, you could have a bad antenna and/or radio.

WA2LOZ, I'll try to take some photos and post them. I think I did a while ago, but I'll check on that.

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
supton said:
Yep, at 50W out it'll be a problem. While the socket may be rated to 10A, it'll be at 10A with like a volt or more of drop.
Trial and error; but if I need to sell the car there is no visible holes for that either.
Thanks for the detailed post. I'll come back to it when I undertake the project.

I actually bought that radio a few years back at Dayton and didn't remember that it was a 50W VHF/35W UHF radio. You are right, it'll need real power run for sure. I was busy finishing up that #@!@# brake job on the old Ford Exploder and with family things during the 4th.

I guess when I get back from my MBA capstone in August I'll undertake the job. I'd like to actually have this rig in the vehicle. I've not had a good installed 2m rig in a car for several years.

There looks as if there are quite a few possible places to run cables into the trunk of the A5.. I'm going to have to investigate the run from the battery/engine compartment back to the trunk and from the trunk to the dash for the remote head. I suppose on a brand new $22,500 vehicle I should take the time and effort to plan this out and do it correctly. :rolleyes:

Fred (W0FMS)

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
n1das said:
I've also found the rest of the car to be overall very quiet, which makes for a clean RF environment for a mobile radio installation, whether CB or Ham, or GMRS.

UHF and 800 MHz bands are very clean inside the car. Radiated and Conducted RF noise from modules in the car is virtually too low to be measured up in the UHF part of the spectrum. I've done a lot of scanner listening in these bands and I've found the car to be overall very clean.

In the VHF range (~ 138-174 MHz), I've occasionally found some radiated RF emissions from the Monsoon head unit. One problem frequency is 155.250 MHz, a busy local PD frequency in Lebanon NH, one of the freqs I listen to when I'm up in that area. The head unit has a logic CPU clock harmonic sitting right on that freq and I have to turn the head unit OFF whenever I want to listen to Lebanon PD. The clock harmonic's signal strength is weak but just strong enough for my handheld scanner to hear it when it's about 2 feet away from the HU, just enough to make it a PITA.

There's also some broadband noise in the VHF range that "wanders" across the band and sometimes bothers several VHF frequencies in my scanner. I've found it wanders around based on temperature inside the car. The exact frequency shifts as whatever module(s) its coming from warms up. Not a big problem but a PITA sometimes. I've verified that it's not coming from the Monsoon HU and may be coming from the instrument cluster or another module in the car. It hasn't been enough of a PITA yet to make me sniff it out and look at ways to fix it.

IIRC, 27MHz was completely clean inside the car. I've only verified this with a handheld CB inside the car. I expect a *real* mobile installation to also be clean. I won't do a mobile CB installation because I so rarely use CB at all. I stick to Ham and GMRS which I hold FCC licenses for.

Regardless of what radio installation you do, you may encounter some alternator whine on your DC power connection to the car, so consider installing a noise filter on the power connections to your equipment. I've successfully used a car stereo noise filter, designed to filter out ignition noise and alternator whine. There won't be any spark ignition noise but there could still be some alternator whine to deal with.

In case anyone's wondering why I've looked at the EMI/EMC (Electromagnetic Interference / Compatibility) performance of my car this closely is because....I'm an EMI/EMC engineer. I work these kinds of issues in my line of work. It also appeals to the ham radio operator and electronics hobbyist in me.

Gotta love ZERO SPARK IGNITION NOISE IN A TDI! :cool:

I'm curious how noisy a Toyota Prius hype-brid or any other gasser hybrid would be in terms of EMC performance! :D

Last edited:

TheSpatulaOfLove

Non-stick & heat resistant!
TDI
04 Bug TDI GLS, Black & 02 Bug TDI GLS, Uglyass Green
My vote is for the lil wil antenna. I have one of those I run through the sunroof on the bug. Mind you, I downgraded from a Wilson 2k Trucker on a magnet mount to this, which I lost some distance, but I got tired of being picked on for 'calling the mothership'.

As far as radio mount, I built on out of spare chunks of wood that stands on the floor on the passenger side. I can reach everything and see the meter without issue. It's not conducive if you have a passenger, but 90% of the time I have the CB, I'm alone. The wife hates my multi-hour static ride. ;)

P.S. Get a Galaxy and get it from a reputable shop.

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
ARO said:
Jay T

I will post pictures after I install my CB and antena....untill then I have to figure out how to post pictures.....maybe someone can explain me how to post pictures....I looked at FAQ and read this:

(Not linked)

(Linked)

I don't get it...I am not good with computers. So, how do I include a picture out of "My Pictures" to my post!?!?

Thank you

ARO

sorry I don't know how to post pictures