Power Window Repair

DLV

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI ALH 5M silver, 2011 Audi A3 TDI Monza Silver
Yesterday my passenger side window made a noise like it was full of sand and then gave out a loud pop. The window was stuck open. I took off the door panel and started to investigate when I decided that I better let someone else look at this (I was afraid I was going to break the window).
So this morning I took my car to the dealer for repair (no appointment). He called me back 3 hours later and told me it was fixed. He said this was a common problem and VW has a "rebuild kit" for it. They repaired the passenger side AND the drivers side (even though ok) at no charge! At 116k miles, I thought that was pretty fair.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
There is a 7 year warranty extension for the front window regulator clips. The replacement clips are of a redesigned type that won't break as easily.

If you did not get the notice from VWoA, contact VWoA and tell them your VIN, name, and address. They can then send you notices about warranty extensions and recalls. There have been safety recalls, such as the brake lamp switch and hazard / turn signal flasher, for some cars.

javahunter

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Grn
Has anyone heard anything regarding VW offering this same extension in Canada?

My regulator clips broke on my drivers door this past weekend. Paid out of pocket to get it fixed.

Thanks,
Jim

javahunter

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Grn
I didn't know about any such recall until after the fact. Had it repaired at an autoglass shop, thought it had just slipped off the track. It's a 2001 Jetta TDI.

Called the VW 800 number to request compensation, after i posted, they told me it's a US only recall and they won't do anything for me because factory warranty is past.

Did you receive a recall notice on it?

Thanks,
Jim

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
That's odd... I just went thru the paper work and can only found recalls on MAF/rear child seat sticker & the hazard flasher but no regulator. I did mine within the 2yr/40k period tho...

When you called VW of Canada, did you ask them why this is a US recall only? Canadian regulator doesn't break?!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
That's because it's not a recall -- it's a voluntary extended warranty on the regulator clips. If your window regulator breaks up to 7 years from the purchase of the car, they'll replace it free of charge in in the US.

It may be a US-only extended warranty if it came about as a concession from a class-action lawsuit here in the US.

javahunter

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Grn
maybe it has something to do with the colder winter up here eh?!...

All the girl on the phone could tell me was what was in her computer...typical help desk staff...grrrr.

Spoke to StJames VW in Winnipeg about it before calling VW...they would have done it no charge, but seeing I had already had it repaired, it's between me an VW canada.

Seems odd it would be US-only extension. Don't these cars all come off the same line?

Guess I'll have to send a letter to VW Canada and VW Headquarters. Although I did see somewhere online something about a class-action suit here to.

Thanks guys
Jim

TXHarry

That's awesome!! I just came here looking for info on my passenger side front window (stuck down, grinding, and smelling!!) Just happened about two hours ago. Best news since they fixed the brake switch for free!!

tootallno1

Windows repaired

Passenger side window dropped on our 2001 TDI Golf last week. I phoned the toll free number for VWoC: 1-800-822-8987. Found out there was a 7 yr warranty to replace the broken clips free of charge. Dealer was great. They did both sides for no charge. I have a referance number from VWoc that will bring up my conversation I had with the customer service rep. I am in the Okanagan Valley, B.C. Canada. Cheers, Tim

2001tdinewbe

TDI
jetta,2001,navyblue
power window inquiry

just wanted to make sure I am IDing the same problem. Hit the button to lower passenger window. Heard the sand grinding noise, window went down but would not go up again. Took panels offf and motor and saw lots of cable twisted up where the motor connects to gear part inside. by the time I got the window pushed up the cables were disconnected, never did see big metal gear mechanism that is pictured on another site. I will be calling in to get a dealer to fix tomorrow any advice??

JW50

North Mississippi (Just outside of Memphis, TN)
TDI
Red 2000 Jetta TDI
2001TDINewbie

I had the same problem with my 2000 Jetta.The extended warranty only covers the clips. You can get a replacement window regulator at http://store.directauto.com/repair-and-replacement-window-motors---regulators-volkswagen-jetta.html and make the reapir yourself if you choose. There are detailed instructions for this repair at http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1138563. The only special tool that I had to buy was the 8mm triplesquare bit which I found at NAPA. Hope this is a help.

mcH

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
I had the clips break yesterday on my 01 NB. I was supposed to meet coworkers in the Walmart parking lot and car pool to a meeting, but didn't want to leave the car there with one window rolled down, so I dropped it off at the closest dealer on the way: Marietta, GA Jim Ellis VW. It took them until noon today, and when I picked it up, they told me, no they couldn't proactively fix the other window, as it hadn't broken yet.
Now we know why others here have said their service is bad! At least they did run it as warranty repairs.

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
tootallno1 said:
Passenger side window dropped on our 2001 TDI Golf last week. I phoned the toll free number for VWoC: 1-800-822-8987. Found out there was a 7 yr warranty to replace the broken clips free of charge. Dealer was great. They did both sides for no charge. I have a referance number from VWoc that will bring up my conversation I had with the customer service rep. I am in the Okanagan Valley, B.C. Canada. Cheers, Tim
Hey there - do you have the refernce number or is there a campaign number? A friend had this happen and the dealer in Calgary told her to pound sand...

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
No worries - friend had the work done. Called the first dealer (South Centre Calgary?) and they told her "never heard of this problem, you are the first person who's windows have ever fallen, must have been something you did, come in and we'll fix it for $400"...
I told her no way, she called VWoC and they also said, "this is only an american problem, our canadian cars have not been affected by this"...
Then I told her to call the other Calgary VW dealer (North something) and the guy there (Dana?) knew exactly what was going on and told her to bring her car in immediately, on warranty. They also fix a CEL that had been on for a while, something the other Calgary dealer couldn't fix and said would probably go away over time....

MCathcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Yes, this has been going on since 1998. The dealer did one of mine under warranty then I paid for 3 window regulators. (Prior to the program you had to buy the entire metal panel where the cables are located. After VW started their replacement program and changed the plastic parts to metal I Bought Two Kits (that were actually for a Jetta by mistake). Then when a window broke again I pulled the regulator out thinking I had the correct parts and They Were Wrong. I think called the dealer and found out about the "Program". I spoke to the Service Manager and told him about my "current" problem. His responce was "Sure, bring it in and we'll take care of it". Huuuumm... Help me out here, My Door Is Taken a Part, You are 60 miles away (closest dealer), Can you do me a Favor and Sent me the Kit and I'll Return the Old Parts? His responce was "I'm Sorry Sir, You'll Have To Bring It In". And my Responce.... SCREW IT, GIVE ME THE PARTS DEPARTMENT, I'LL FIX THE D@MN THING MY SELF. My total out of pocket cost for the window repair program... total almost $400.00. Contacting VW they would only agree to refund the parts cost for any receipts that I'd kept. Hummm.... Same responce as the first, SCREW IT I ONLY HAVE RECEIPTS FOR THE LAST PARTS THE SERVICE MANAGER WOULDN't SEND ME.

Anyone want to buy a Couple of Window Repair Kits for a 1998 Jetta (that the dealer will repair for Free)? :-(

Hey, I am glad some of you got your windows repaired FREE!

I could write a Lengthy Report on my Local VW dealers service departments. What Morons (Greenville SC and Spartanburg SC). The Myrtle Beach VW service department has proven to be Very Good!

Captian Mike
1998 Beetle Tdi
1999 Beetle Tdi
2000 Jetta Tdi (sold)
2005 Golf Tdi
2000 Audi TT
1999 F250 Powerstroke
1993 33.5 Hunter

Last edited:

kscantrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2k VW Beetle / 2k1 VW Jetta
Can any one in Ga "reference" a "good" dealer (Atlanta area) who will or has fix(ed) both rear psngr on warranty & front drvr windows proactive on warranty?

SubseaFB

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle, TDI Silver
Damn, wish Id known about this when my drivers side window clips broke. I repaired it myself. The whole insert was only $59 from a local parts store. Very easy to fix, no special tools needed. All in all, it was the easiest pw Ive ever fixed and Ive messed with all sorts.

ps. Still wish I had that $59 bucks back though. :)

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
Power window repair

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that 2003 and up no longer had a problem with the power window. However my passenger window slipped down and my son just put it back in place and it has worked fine for the last few weeks. Maybe I will call vwoa and see if mine is covered before it gets stuck down. Why not let the dealer pay for it instead of fixing it myself.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2003 not covered by the warranty. I had a driver's window clip fail under warranty. After being told I had the "good" clips, they replaced it and found that the new style metal clip had a casting flaw in it.

kscantrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2k VW Beetle / 2k1 VW Jetta
Re-read the basis of this post and realized warranty is on front window only. Can anyone point to resources on the web (TDIclub.com or otherwise) for a rear-window repair?

Scott C.

tomg13

TDI
Passat 2.0l
Re: power window repair

Is the extended warranty just for the front windows? Or does it also include the rear windows? I have a left rear on my '05 Passat TDI that has fallen, but I was lucky enough to get to stay up, by running the regulator up against the bottom of the glass.

karlkcfi

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I have an O3 Jetta TDi that the left rear passenger door window fell a month ago. My closest dealer is 100 miles away and they don't seem to know about any warranty issues with earlier models. I have disconnected the power to that window for now and strategically placed tape to hold it up. Now it is a matter of finding out if there is a problem with them as well or ????? Anyone else with an '03 or newer having a similar problem?

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
My driver's window on my '05 broke yesterday. Glad I noticed it before I got on the highway to go to work....

I'm still not clear. Is there a warranty on these past 2003? I'll probably just fix it myself, but it's cold in that garage.

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
BrianCT said:
The newer style clips are made of metal, not plastic. I had mine replaced twice and the last time they were replaced the dealership used JB Weld on the actual metal grooved track the window fits into.:(
Just called the dealer. The plastic clips are covered under "extended" warranty. They will do both driver and passenger sides. I also asked if the clip has been updated. He said "no, they glue them in now", which may be why they used JB Weld on yours.

I guess I'll give them a crack at it first. They can do the brake switch recall that I never got around to also :) .

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
bf1967 said:
I also asked if the clip has been updated. He said "no, they glue them in now", which may be why they used JB Weld on yours.
I've seen the clips myself, the OEM plastic and the "upgraded" warranty clips. The upgraded clips are made of metal and not plastic. I think the dealership is incorrect on their assumption and ...make certain they use the upgraded clips if this is the case.:D

Here is a picture.

Look's metal to me!

Courtesy of WorldImpex