2015 Passat - Went with Approved Emissions Modification

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
For anyone planning the emissions mod:

After seeing the EPA & CARB approved emissions modification (Recall 23Q3), I decided to keep my car. I downloaded and filled out all the necessary paperwork from the website portal. After having the final offer from VW notarized, I easily scanned, pdf converted, and uploaded the signed documents directly to the portal with ease.

VW got back to me at each step of the way so quickly, I nearly missed the webpage that told me that I could schedule my appointment for Phase I. The website directs you to schedule the appointment with your dealership of choice using an online link. Based on my experience, I would suggest calling into your dealership to explain and make the appointment. They may assume you don't have the necessary paperwork done as in my case.

I had to wait about 2.5 hours which they explained involved a reflash, and paperwork including various photos they had to submit. My paperwork lists:

V,B0039626 MOD LABEL
V,03L010005J TDI EMISS

They gave me a receipt which shows the amount due to me and said they would contact me via email within 3 banking days. I also received an updated EPA fuel economy / smog rating etc. which is very close to the original.

The car did not sound any different afterwards and seemed to perform exactly the same as it did before on the way home.

*** Update ***

- first MPG reading, 35.4 at about a 50/50 mix of highway/city, see post on page 3 for more info
- one noticeable change is more frequent DPF regens, for me occurring at < 1000 mile intervals (not calculated, but seems like every 400-500 miles)

Last edited:

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
Thanks for the update. I've been planning on keeping mine all along. I'm at 58K miles and have been driving another vehicle since this whole fiasco stared to keep the miles from adding up.

I love my Passat TDi and have no desire to drive anything else except another TDi.

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Good question. I think they assume most people will not want to miss out on the remaining money and they throw the disclaimer out there that the emissions parts used in phase II will replace the stock parts going forward so you may have trouble sourcing parts down the road if you still have the stock setup and have failures. You would also void the extended warranty.

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Yes, they pay you 2/3 of the total restitution within 3 days of completion of Phase I emissions modification. I received my payment 2 days after my modification.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Yes, they pay you 2/3 of the total restitution within 3 days of completion of Phase I emissions modification. I received my payment 2 days after my modification.
Thanks for letting me know. Nothing much is settled here in Canada.

Hopefully, you can enjoy the Passat to 1M miles. :eek:

It seems that the Gen III extended warranty is one hell of a deal if you keep the car.

How many miles do you have and How long is your Gen III warranty extended to now?

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
I have almost 29k miles. The extended ECS warranty is the greater of the following:

- 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's original in-service date

OR

- 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase I. After Phase II, the warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase II.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I also have decided to keep my car. I've been trying to change the date for the phase 1 modification to the next couple of months but I keep getting an error message on the website?

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Once you complete all the paperwork, you end up with a webpage that says you can now schedule your appointment. At this point you can just log off and call your dealer to setup up a day of your choosing. I believe it can be any time you want. It just means you have completed all the necessary paperwork to proceed. I found that it's best not to use the online scheduling function. That just takes you to the local dealer scheduling website which didn't appear to be setup specifically for this type of service. Just call and set an appointment up for when you want to have this done.

You can print and take a copy of your signed paperwork if you want, but they didn't even need mine. I'm sure they pulled everything up based on the VIN and my personal information already in their computer.

AVM62

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 speed manual
After driving my 2015 Passat SE TDI manual for three weeks after the fix I can say that I really like the fix. Who ever programed the software knew what they were doing and had experience driving a manual transmission vehicle. The car feels much more refined and will not stall as fast as before. It pulls like a tractor at low engine speeds yet is zippy on the highway. I have no way of telling if it uses more DFT or not. Mileage has not suffered as far as I can tell. I went on a trip to NC and got 46MPG which included some local driving. Local mixed driving i got 40MPG. So far very happy I kept my car.

I would say make the appoiment on the computer. VW will not proceed with the payments until everything is done. VW said the dealer had not checked the completed box when I called them. Called dealer and asked to speak with the TDI settlement rep. he said everything was done on his end. Made a appointment on the computer for the next day which was Saturday that I had no intention of keeping, Got a email from Chase Monday night, money was in my account on Wednesday morning. My mistake was calling the dealer and getting a appointment before all the paper work was done. And not making the appointment from the VW website.

Last edited:

F14

TDI
2001 Golf, 2015 Passat
I just had my first step of TDI recall done on my 2015 Passat. The torque is noticably lower at lower RPMs. I have to push the throttle pedal down further and the car downshifts much more than it did before.
I have contacted VW America and started a complaint case. I have seen others posting online this same issue. Disappointed so far but hoping a Molone tune will get me back all my power plus more.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder if they messed-up the reprogram on your car F14? The paperwork says that DSG cars will shift up sooner in S-mode after the modification. This makes me think that the car will in fact need to down shift more often. They said in the ppwk that the earlier up shifts would make the car a more comfortable drive or less busy or something like that. Sounds a little baloney to me. If you want a less busy drive you would shift to D, right? Anyway good luck

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I brought my car in for the first emission modification on Friday. My nemesis MIL was on for the whole week with the POOBD P00BDcode that nobody knows how to fix. I didn't clear the light because I wanted the dealer to see that that problem is still there. Well the dealer told me they couldn't do the emissions mod because of the code! I was NOT happy to hear this. They contacted VW and found they would have to work on the code first.
Well I have to say the Boulder Colorado dealership has treated me very well. They gave me a 2017 loaner car and did all the work and then the MOD. Picked up the car on Saturday morning. The dealer told me that the emissions modification will fix the problem of the POOBD code also. While I will not be convinced that this is true until I am MIL free for at least 5000 miles, I think they may be correct after reading the paperwork which says that OBD parameters will be relaxed by the emissions modification. A very pleasant surprise to hear this. Sucks to have the check engine light popping on frequently

So I've only driven about 30 miles but so far I find nothing different about the sound, power or feel of the car. Since I've retired I don't drive as regularly as I used to. It will be hard for me to say without doubt if there is any change in the car but I will post here if I notice any changes in mpg or anything else.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I wonder if they messed-up the reprogram on your car F14? The paperwork says that DSG cars will shift up sooner in S-mode after the modification. This makes me think that the car will in fact need to down shift more often. They said in the ppwk that the earlier up shifts would make the car a more comfortable drive or less busy or something like that. Sounds a little baloney to me. If you want a less busy drive you would shift to D, right? Anyway good luck
I always felt that sport mode shifted too late. I'd welcome earlier shifts in sport.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I always felt that sport mode shifted too late. I'd welcome earlier shifts in sport.
Yeah and on the other hand I felt that in Drive it choses 6th gear a little too soon in the wife's DSG.

Now, with my 6sp manual in my Passat after the emissions reprogram, I see the computer in no longer telling me to shift from 4th to 5th gear so early. Damn thing got me "programmed" to shift early and now it telling me not to shift so early!

I see in the paperwork that they claim the manuals pollute NOx a bit more than the automatics after the reprogram. That is kind of weird.

I also think that I have lost some MPGs. Drove about 90 miles today and could barely get the trip computer to get to 47 mpg. I have a hwy trip to Denver tomorrow so I will have more evidence. I'm thinking I am down about 2 mpg but it is too soon to be sure. Also it was cold here today.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
Yeah and on the other hand I felt that in Drive it choses 6th gear a little too soon in the wife's DSG.

Now, with my 6sp manual in my Passat after the emissions reprogram, I see the computer in no longer telling me to shift from 4th to 5th gear so early. Damn thing got me "programmed" to shift early and now it telling me not to shift so early!

I see in the paperwork that they claim the manuals pollute NOx a bit more than the automatics after the reprogram. That is kind of weird.

I also think that I have lost some MPGs. Drove about 90 miles today and could barely get the trip computer to get to 47 mpg. I have a hwy trip to Denver tomorrow so I will have more evidence. I'm thinking I am down about 2 mpg but it is too soon to be sure. Also it was cold here today.

might just be the cold temps, we drop 4-5mpg when it's cold and our winter tires are on, 2-3 drop in warmer wx with the winter tires.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
might just be the cold temps, we drop 4-5mpg when it's cold and our winter tires are on, 2-3 drop in warmer wx with the winter tires.
Yes I hope it was just the colder weather and it was mixed hwy/city driving. Tomorrow I have a 120 mile hwy trip to make and the weather will be a little warmer. That should give me a better idea. I usually top 50 mpg on this trip.

2 or so mpg might make me pout a little but it's not a deal killer. I will still be glad that I kept my car.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I did the 120 mile HWY trip two days in a row. I still feel like I have lost about 2 MPGs after the "fix" but there was some traffic both days so maybe? One trip tomorrow. Seems to be worst in around town driving than Hwy driving in comparison to pre-"fix". I'm not going to post anymore about this unless something changes. Just thought folks might want to know.

markm102

TDI
2013 Passat SE
March 3....Comes and Goes / 2013 TDI

Not sure where this belongs but thought I'd start here.

As we begin to see the modifications for Gen 3 TDI's, I was looking for an update about the submission deadline of March 3, 2017 for Gen 2's. Anyone hear anything? How much different could the "fix" actually be?

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
New Twist

So as you know I feel I have lost a couple of mpg with the emissions "fix". Well today I thought I would check my oil level. The car has not needed any oil and I have never added any. Oil was changed by the dealer in December and I believe that I checked it (I never trust anyone) and iirc it was just right.

Well today it was WAY OVER. Car had been sitting in the garage for about 36 hours. The oil is I'd say almost 4" past full. In fact it is up to the little ball that is above the "cylinder" shaped thing at the end of the dip stick. Yup the oil level is in the middle of that ball that is about the size of a 00 buck shot!

So while it is possible that I failed to check the oil level after the change (my memory is very poor) I really think I did and fuzzily remember being happy.

So what happened? I believe they did their "courtesy" topping off the fluids and just threw a quart in there or whatever it takes to put the oil that far over. I've had trouble with these courtesy things before. Tire pressure reduced or over, coolant added over the top, freshly waxed car sprayed with detergent.......

I have been so happy with this service dept. They have made some errors before and fixed them and been really nice about it. They fractured my engine cover and replaced it. They got a tiny chip in my paint, they gave me free touch up paint etc. But it is getting old....... I will have to call the shop in the morning and complain and have them take out the correct amount of oil. I feel like I'm the schmuck who is never happy. I don't like to complain and now it is like everytime........

So anyway: Does anyone know if that much oil overfill could account for my slight loss of mpg? AND how likely am I to have permanent damage from this? I have taken the car about 300 miles at speeds of 75-80 mph I think it likely that the mpg's were hurt but I am unsure about potential damage. I was just falling in love with my tdi all over again and would hate to lose it. THANKS

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
check it 5 minutes after shutdown, German cars slowly drain back out of the cooler. If its still over id drain some out as you don't want it to get whipped up by the crankshaft.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
always check the level of warm oil, not cold oil

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Wouldn't warm be even higher though? Expansion. I will check it warm today. Heading out to pick up an oil extraction pump

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
normally between 5 and 15 minutes is the golden time to check the oil. I learned this the hard way on a Honda Dry sump XR600R after I dumped 6 quarts into the thing back when I was 15 ;)