'15 TDI Lowering Springs

Nickmk7

TDI
Mk7.5 GTI SE DSG 2002 Jetta TDI GLS M/T
I have searched just about every possible forum and parts site for hours. Before I make a decision I would like some input,

VWR
Racingline springs seem to drop it too much and contribute to poor bumpy ride along with stock strut degradation

H&R
Drop it less than vwr but not too much info on these for the TDI

ST Suspension
Say 1.2" front and rear drop, which I'd like but haven't seen them installed on any cars yet

Driving Gear oem
CANT FIND part number that works with torsion beam axle.
(Would like some help on this as this would be the best option)

Tsi golf sport kit PN: 5g4071677e

These can be installed on independent rear suspension cars but not the TDI, they are the exact drop I want. What version of these are compatible? Some say the 5G4 071 677 B is the correct kit, no idea if true.

I really just would like to get rid of some wheel gap while maintaining as much of the stock ride as possible. Which route seems best?

Last edited by a moderator:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Please stop advertising a vendor which does not support this FREE website.

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT
I really like my H&R sport springs. they lower it enough to get rid of the nasty wheel gap, and paired with some koni yellows it's still smooth enough for passengers. inexpensive, and gets the job done.

Nickmk7

TDI
Mk7.5 GTI SE DSG 2002 Jetta TDI GLS M/T
I really like my H&R sport springs. they lower it enough to get rid of the nasty wheel gap, and paired with some koni yellows it's still smooth enough for passengers. inexpensive, and gets the job done.
How much did your total set up set you back? Have any pictures?

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I'm in for pictures too :) I'm planning on using Bilstein B8 Plus with H&R lowering springs on my Golf.

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT
Certainly stiffer than stock but still comfortable enough for the fiancé to ride in/drive, doesn't frequently require angled driveway approaches, though the mudflaps hit a lot on steep driveway exits.

I also have a ecohitch 2" receiver, and haven't hit it over driveways or anything when fully loaded and towing a few hundred pounds (see last photo).

Last edited:

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Certainly stiffer than stock but still comfortable enough for the fiancé to ride in/drive, doesn't frequently require angled driveway approaches, though the mudflaps hit a lot on steep driveway exits.
I also have a ecohitch 2" receiver, and haven't hit it over driveways or anything when fully loaded and towing a few hundred pounds (see last photo).

Thanks for posting. This is the look I'm after. Are these H&R springs? If so are these the one for the TDI? Part # 54786-2

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
I see that part # is only listed for Sportwagen's
yeah, thats what I got, for golf you need 54786-2 i guess, but they look different. 54788 blue springs give 1.5 / 1.2 drop F/R, the 54786-2 black and listed as 1.3" even drop

I also have a brand new set of eibach E10-79-010-04-22 designed for the sportswagen with 1.7/1.8" but Im gonna try to put these on the Golf which should give me about 1.7/1.5-1.6 as I dont like the reverse rake

Last edited:

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
yeah, thats what I got, for golf you need 54786-2 i guess, but they look different. 54788 blue springs give 1.5 / 1.2 drop F/R, the 54786-2 black and listed as 1.3" even drop
I trying to see what 54786-2 will look like on the Golf. I heard it gives a reverse rake which I don't want. I like it to sit even front & back. I would like it to sit like my old GTI but not as low just even.

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
I trying to see what 54786-2 will look like on the Golf. I heard it gives a reverse rake which I don't want. I like it to sit even front & back. I would like it to sit like my old GTI but not as low just even.
if you get rake you can use these 8J0512149 rubber spring packing instead of the existing ones it will raise the rear about 1/4" or so

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I used the EMD (Emmanuele Designs) springs. The are linear and not progressive like many springs. They have a more "stock" feel/ride. The site says they will not work on the TDI, but after research and speaking with others who have used them on a TDI, they fit and work perfectly fine. They even come with rear spacers that you can use or leave out depending on the look and amount of travel you like.

https://www.emdauto.com/collections...wagen-lowering-spring-kit?variant=22072159687

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT
Thanks for posting. This is the look I'm after. Are these H&R springs? If so are these the one for the TDI? Part # 54786-2
No sweat- I believe so. I ordered them from a non-tdiclub vendor that happened to be having a blowout sale back when I got them, they were less than $200 when on sale. Any vendor on this site will be competitive with any current deals and I'd check through them, they'll know what's correct. here's a link to forum vendors

To each their own, but I'd really recommend doing at least the front shocks while it's all apart. you'll almost certainly blow out the stock fronts within a short time if you continue to run the stockers, and doing that job twice on jack stands will suck. Maybe I'm the only one that hates spring compressors and strut spreaders. I waited to do the rears, but I'm already feeling a degradation in ride quality so once I get paid I'll order up the rear konis and throw them in.

Last edited:

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
No sweat- I believe so. I ordered them from a non-tdiclub vendor that happened to be having a blowout sale back when I got them, they were less than $200 when on sale. Any vendor on this site will be competitive with any current deals and I'd check through them, they'll know what's correct. here's a link to forum vendors

To each their own, but I'd really recommend doing at least the front shocks while it's all apart. you'll almost certainly blow out the stock fronts within a short time if you continue to run the stockers, and doing that job twice on jack stands will suck. Maybe I'm the only one that hates spring compressors and strut spreaders. I waited to do the rears, but I'm already feeling a degradation in ride quality so once I get paid I'll order up the rear konis and throw them in.
Thanks for the info. Yes, I agree, as I mentioned on page 1 I'm planning on using Bilstein B8 Plus with H&R lowering springs.

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
Does anyone know if the MK6 springs and struts are usable on the MBQ platform? I have 3 sets of mk6 springs in the garage: VWR, Golf R and H&R, and I would love to use them on my GSW. I understand that the rear is now a solid vs independent but it seems strange if the MK6 and MK7 aren't close enough for it to work.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know if the MK6 springs and struts are usable on the MBQ platform? I have 3 sets of mk6 springs in the garage: VWR, Golf R and H&R, and I would love to use them on my GSW. I understand that the rear is now a solid vs independent but it seems strange if the MK6 and MK7 aren't close enough for it to work.
id say youre gonna have to try it, at least the rears, 30 min job