Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

GeneyBean

TDI
Golf
Okay so I got the 1.8t that I swapped and the speedometer still doesn't work. I checked the continuity from the vss to the speedometer and it's good. I checked the ground and voltage at the vss and in pin 1 I'm getting 12v+, pin 2 I'm getting around 8v+ and ground is grounding. All the wires are still connected the same as my previous posts

chamuko

TDI
2003 tdi
1.8t wiring

Im almost done with my swap on a 2003 1.8t gti and was wondering if anyone had a wiring diagram or what page to look for in this thread to see what all i need to do for wiring. Thanks any help is appreciated.

chamuko

TDI
2003 tdi
I have a 2005 1.8t that had the tiptronic and I've been wiring up my swap to this but now my speedometer doesn't work at all and I get a code for airbag B+ too low and I have it wired up exactly as stated above. I've been trying at this swap for 5 months now and this wiring is the worst for me. Can anyone help my out I've been searching anything I can through the Bently manual and it all points to connecting it the way it is but it's not right
I got my speedo workin but im gettin a check engine for vss. I have not wired pin 63 of tcm to pin 3 on cluster. Should that be my next step? Btw im running a manual coded ecu. I have a 2003 1.8t tiptronic

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Yes, that should be your a27 bus

chamuko

TDI
2003 tdi
Awesome glad i found the info. Appreciate the help. Will let you yall know if it works as soon as i have freee time

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI/5spd swap
Changes from his original are in blue.
Remember, this is how it was on my 2002 JETTA wagon.[/COLOR]
------
GdB SWAP WIRING VERSION ELECTRICAL NOTES I suggest doing this all before installing the clutch pedal, it is a tight spot to work in.
--------
1. REMOVE Park Neutral Relay 175
2. Pull out the socket for the 175 to get access to the wires
CRUISE CONTROL HOOKUP portion
3. Cut the BLACK/GREEN wire (pin #5) close to the 175 socket and connect to the blue or black clutch pedal switch (closest to the driver seat)
4. Cut the YELLOW/BLUE wire (pin #9) close to the 175 socket and connect to the other wire on the same blue or black clutch pedal switch
5. Remove the TCU and disconnect the plugs from the ECU
6. Find (continuity check...) and CUT the same YELLOW/BLUE wire at the TCU connector.
6a. Find a YELLOW/RED wire on the TCU connector that also has continuity with ECU pin #19 YELLOW/ RED wire. Cut it at the TCU side and connect it to the YELLOW/BLUE wire.
(1st check for unwanted continuity with any ECU pins)
7. Remove ECU pin #19 and pin #66 and put the pin #19 with YELLOW/RED wire attached into empty hole #66
REVERSE LIGHTS
8. Cut the BLACK/BLUE wire (pin #4) AWAY FROM the 175 socket
9. Cut the RED/YELLOW wire (pin #1) AWAY FROM the 175 socket
10. Connect the harness side wires only from the last two steps
(1st check for unwanted continuity with any ECU pins)
11. Find (continuity check...), cut and connect the RED/YELLOW wire at the 8 pin (6 wire) TR plug (PIN#8) and connect to the reverse switch on the tranny
12. Cut the BLACK/GREEN wire at the 8 pin (6 wire-Pin#3) TR plug and connect to the reverse switch on the tranny
-------
STARTER INTERLOCK aka Starter Inhibitor Switch
13. Cut the BROWN wire (pin #7) close to the 175 socket and connect to the white or grey clutch pedal switch (closest to the firewall)
14. Connect the other wire on the white or grey clutch pedal switch to the BLACK/BLUE wire (pin #4) at the 175 socket

I have a 03 Jetta Wagon TDI
Read over and thought, mine is a 03 Wagon, these instructions is for a 02 Wagon.
When got to step 14, I still had the Red/Yellow from step 9 left over:confused:nothing attached to it???
Step 11, Red/Yellow pin#8, no idea which one is that. I took apart the piece that is attached to trans, and also took apart connector, found no numbers.
Same for Black/Green pin#3 at TR.
Someone please help, I have hardly any more hair left to pull out.:mad:

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I have a 03 Jetta Wagon TDI
Read over and thought, mine is a 03 Wagon, these instructions is for a 02 Wagon.
When got to step 14, I still had the Red/Yellow from step 9 left over:confused:nothing attached to it???
Step 11, Red/Yellow pin#8, no idea which one is that. I took apart the piece that is attached to trans, and also took apart connector, found no numbers.
Same for Black/Green pin#3 at TR.
Someone please help, I have hardly any more hair left to pull out.:mad:
Those instructions are an old version which has since been updated. The correct instructions are available in my sig on page 30.

9. Cut the RED/YELLOW wire (pin #1) AWAY FROM the 175 socket although pin one is
not used.
10. Connect the harness side wires only from the last two steps taking the Black/Blue wire
and connecting it to the Red/Yellow wire. (1st check for unwanted continuity with any ECU pins)
11. Find (continuity check...), cut and connect the RED/YELLOW wire at the 8 pin (6 wire) TR plug (PIN#8) and connect to the reverse switch on the tranny. This is the plug from the auto trans shown in the pic on page 30.
12. Cut the BLACK/GREEN wire at the 8 pin (6 wire) TR plug and connect to the reverse switch on the tranny.
Starter interlock.
13. Cut the BROWN wire (pin #7) close to the 175 socket and connect to the white or grey clutch pedal switch (closest to the firewall)
14. Connect the other wire on the white or grey clutch pedal switch to the BLACK/BLUE
wire (pin #4) at the 175 socket.

Last edited:

ericiscott

TDI
VR6 for now
Can anyone point me in the right direction on my swap? Currently in the middle of an auto to manual engine and transmission swap but I'm stuck on wiring.

Car is a 2000 with a VR6 Auto and I swapped in a 2001 VR6 Manual engine and tranny combo that I had just done the chains on before I acquired the car.

Everything is good, key on is going all good but I can't start the car as I don't have any wiring done of course. Only problem is all the guides I found talk about using the TCM wiring but when I put the other engine and transmission in I also put in the manual loom that was already connected therefore I have no TCM connection on my loom and I had to hack up the other loom a little bit. So before I start hacking up wiring and messing it up I wanted to ask if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Edit: So if I'm correct I just need to cut pin 4, attaching it to one end of the clutch switch and tapping the other end into the wire between the reverse switch and reverse lights?
The starter is a part of the body harness, so it should be identical for rewiring the starter portion of the relay. You basically have the wire that goes into the relay (black with blue tracer) which connects, through the clutch cancel switch to the ground (brown wire).
The reverse switch has nothing to do with the relay
Sorry I completely forgot I posted here. I swapped the 175 relay with the 53 relay and the car is starting with the clutch either in or out. I have not touched wiring at all yet just changed relays.

I'm following the GdB instructions in section 7...http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/Boertje_Auto_to_6_spd_manual_swap_and_wiring_instructions.pdf

So if I am correct...

For reverse lights I am cutting the wire at pin 3 and pin 4 and connecting the wires together.

For grey/white clutch switch I am connecting the remaining wire at the relay end of pin 4 to the G/W switch and the other wire at the G/W switch is going to the ground wire cut from pin 7.

For blue/black clutch switch I am taking the wires going to pin 5 and pin 9 and connecting them through the BLU/BLK switch.

Thanks and I've got instant email notifications turned on now!

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry I completely forgot I posted here. I swapped the 175 relay with the 53 relay and the car is starting with the clutch either in or out. I have not touched wiring at all yet just changed relays.

I'm following the GdB instructions in section 7...http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/Boertje_Auto_to_6_spd_manual_swap_and_wiring_instructions.pdf

So if I am correct...

For reverse lights I am cutting the wire at pin 3 and pin 4 and connecting the wires together.

For grey/white clutch switch I am connecting the remaining wire at the relay end of pin 4 to the G/W switch and the other wire at the G/W switch is going to the ground wire cut from pin 7.

For blue/black clutch switch I am taking the wires going to pin 5 and pin 9 and connecting them through the BLU/BLK switch.

Thanks and I've got instant email notifications turned on now!
There is a fellow on the vwvortex nosborn94 who did a nice write up on the gasser swap. Here is a link to that thread. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ZG)-silver&p=72514721&viewfull=1#post72514721

Josh04020

TDI
04 Jetta GLS
09A to 02j EUH: BEW Manual Swap

Hi everyone, new member as of today. Got to p.66 before I decided to join, I guess this opened up the search thread option; which definitely helped me come to the conclusion that my question has not been answered yet. Who knows tho, sorry if it has. I quoted alphasenior and GdB to hopefully get their attention, they definitely seem to know what they're talking about. First off this thread is awesome, has helped me get my head around everything coming up, thanks to everyone. Just joined today, but have searched these forums a bunch and normally get solutions. This and YouTube, you can find a lot of stuff on YouTube these days.

I have an 04 Jetta TDI GLS with the BEW engine and the 09A Tiptronic 5spd automatic. This may get a little off topic, but I swear it comes back around. Recently, the 09A has started not wanting to go into reverse. This happens mostly after the car has been run and then parked, but can normally be overcome by turning the car off, restarting and then trying again, maybe a couple times before it works. Also, when driving at revs around a shift point, it sometimes seems not to know what it wants to do. I'm thinking solenoids, this transmission apparently has problems with this, plus I don't have problems under normal or heavy acceleration or with it slipping out of reverse once it's there. Other than that and a forever soft break pedal, I love this car. Just put a 1.5" drop h&r cup kit and front and rear sway bars on the car, as well as a bunch of Polyurethane bushings in the suspension, basically everything but the end link bushings, I'll get them later. Also, I was lucky enough to find a nice set of Audi Fat Fives local on Craigslist. She is beautiful and drives like a dream.

I bought the solenoid replacement kit and ATF and planned to change them out. Then, whats this. An 02J EUH shows up on Ebay, one of the MTs that comes factory on the BEW. The seller is parting out an 04 Golf TDI GLS BEW with collision damage. This guys a champ, he's pulling everything this week and I'm driving 5.5hs to pick this stuff up this weekend. He's giving me a good price on everything I've asked for and says it was in good condition before the accident. Has 184,000 on it.

When I got the car me and my father swapped the engine cause it was blowing smoke and loosing power. At the time we changed the ATF, filled it according the the Bently and had it checked on the local AAMCO's VAG-COM because the trans seemed a little weird at first, but they said we were spot on. It's been good till now. We've done a manual swap on a 91 Corolla before, but things were different back then. My father handled the electronics, I'm not that good, and this isn't his car. Still we got the engine swap done in 3 days and that includes having to re-separate the engine/trans because I forgot to tuck the metal dust pan behind the clip. Which caused the torque converter bolts to smack the pan during startup. I thought I'd destroyed my car when I heard it.

Thanks to this thread, I've come up with this shopping list:

Sourced from car:
Transmission
Clutch/Flywheel - I'll get a new one when this fails. He said it worked.
Both Dust Covers
Drive Axles
Linkage Cables and Sift Tower
Clutch Pedal and Hydraulics
Clutch Pedal Firewall Gasket
Manual Coolant Hoses
Manual Power Steering Line
Manual Trans Mount
ECU
Instrument Cluster
Wiring Harness (I told him if it has to be cut, as far back as possible would be preferable. If not the whole thing)
TCU? Based on what I've read here, I don't think the MT has a TCU.
All associated nuts, bolt, brackets, clips, connectors, etc, etc, etc.

Buying:
Axle Flange bolts and backing plates
Axle Nuts
Crush Washers for PS Line
Trans Mount Bolts
MTF
Shifter Alignment Pin
Axle Seals
Rear Main Seal- Do I need this Pookie stuff?
Input Shaft Seal
Turbo to Exhaust Nuts and Gasket
Flywheel Bolts
Throw out Bearing
Clutch Alignment Tool

This is my daily driver with no real backup besides getting a ride. I'm really hoping I can get this done in less than four days. Basically my questions are. Is there anything else I need? Is it Foolish to think that I would be able to chop my wiring harness and rewire it with the front half of this one? They're both BEW; I cant see them being extremely different. Do I need this relay 53 with a BEW? Is the VSS system going to work since I'm getting the Instrument Cluster and ECU? What about the Immobilizer? Should I have to even mess with a VAG-COM as long as wiring is correct?

Also, I still want to replace the solenoids in the 09A and get that working correctly. Will do this either way actually as I already have the parts and will still be driving it until I'm ready to start. I'm thinking if anyone on here wants to buy it instead of trying this swap, let me know. I'd basically have everything for an 09A conversion too, with new solenoids installed and a bunch of extra ATF, if you want to do that. If not, I'll try to resell it on EBay or Craigslist.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks again for this site.

Yes, that should be your a27 bus
I should update this by removing the wire colors since they are not consistent. It only confuses.

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Josh, if you look at my sig below, you will find a howto on doing the swap. It is a compendium of this entire thread weeding out the good from the bad and hopefully to save a great deal of time and frustration.

Hi everyone, new member as of today. Got to p.66 before I decided to join, I guess this opened up the search thread option; which definitely helped me come to the conclusion that my question has not been answered yet. Who knows tho, sorry if it has. I quoted alphasenior and GdB to hopefully get their attention, they definitely seem to know what they're talking about. First off this thread is awesome, has helped me get my head around everything coming up, thanks to everyone. Just joined today, but have searched these forums a bunch and normally get solutions. This and YouTube, you can find a lot of stuff on YouTube these days.

I have an 04 Jetta TDI GLS with the BEW engine and the 09A Tiptronic 5spd automatic. This may get a little off topic, but I swear it comes back around. Recently, the 09A has started not wanting to go into reverse. This happens mostly after the car has been run and then parked, but can normally be overcome by turning the car off, restarting and then trying again, maybe a couple times before it works. Also, when driving at revs around a shift point, it sometimes seems not to know what it wants to do. I'm thinking solenoids, this transmission apparently has problems with this, plus I don't have problems under normal or heavy acceleration or with it slipping out of reverse once it's there. Other than that and a forever soft break pedal, I love this car. Just put a 1.5" drop h&r cup kit and front and rear sway bars on the car, as well as a bunch of Polyurethane bushings in the suspension, basically everything but the end link bushings, I'll get them later. Also, I was lucky enough to find a nice set of Audi Fat Fives local on Craigslist. She is beautiful and drives like a dream.

I bought the solenoid replacement kit and ATF and planned to change them out. Then, whats this. An 02J EUH shows up on Ebay, one of the MTs that comes factory on the BEW. The seller is parting out an 04 Golf TDI GLS BEW with collision damage. This guys a champ, he's pulling everything this week and I'm driving 5.5hs to pick this stuff up this weekend. He's giving me a good price on everything I've asked for and says it was in good condition before the accident. Has 184,000 on it.

When I got the car me and my father swapped the engine cause it was blowing smoke and loosing power. At the time we changed the ATF, filled it according the the Bently and had it checked on the local AAMCO's VAG-COM because the trans seemed a little weird at first, but they said we were spot on. It's been good till now. We've done a manual swap on a 91 Corolla before, but things were different back then. My father handled the electronics, I'm not that good, and this isn't his car. Still we got the engine swap done in 3 days and that includes having to re-separate the engine/trans because I forgot to tuck the metal dust pan behind the clip. Which caused the torque converter bolts to smack the pan during startup. I thought I'd destroyed my car when I heard it.

Thanks to this thread, I've come up with this shopping list:

Sourced from car:
Transmission
Clutch/Flywheel - I'll get a new one when this fails. He said it worked.
Both Dust Covers
Drive Axles
Linkage Cables and Sift Tower
Clutch Pedal and Hydraulics
Clutch Pedal Firewall Gasket
Manual Coolant Hoses
Manual Power Steering Line
Manual Trans Mount
ECU
Instrument Cluster
Wiring Harness (I told him if it has to be cut, as far back as possible would be preferable. If not the whole thing)
TCU? Based on what I've read here, I don't think the MT has a TCU.
All associated nuts, bolt, brackets, clips, connectors, etc, etc, etc.

Buying:
Axle Flange bolts and backing plates
Axle Nuts
Crush Washers for PS Line
Trans Mount Bolts
MTF
Shifter Alignment Pin
Axle Seals
Rear Main Seal- Do I need this Pookie stuff?
Input Shaft Seal
Turbo to Exhaust Nuts and Gasket
Flywheel Bolts
Throw out Bearing
Clutch Alignment Tool

This is my daily driver with no real backup besides getting a ride. I'm really hoping I can get this done in less than four days. Basically my questions are. Is there anything else I need? Is it Foolish to think that I would be able to chop my wiring harness and rewire it with the front half of this one? They're both BEW; I cant see them being extremely different. Do I need this relay 53 with a BEW? Is the VSS system going to work since I'm getting the Instrument Cluster and ECU? What about the Immobilizer? Should I have to even mess with a VAG-COM as long as wiring is correct?

Also, I still want to replace the solenoids in the 09A and get that working correctly. Will do this either way actually as I already have the parts and will still be driving it until I'm ready to start. I'm thinking if anyone on here wants to buy it instead of trying this swap, let me know. I'd basically have everything for an 09A conversion too, with new solenoids installed and a bunch of extra ATF, if you want to do that. If not, I'll try to resell it on EBay or Craigslist.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks again for this site.

Josh04020

TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Cool, thanks for putting this together. Almost 170 pages is a lot and I'm not sure all if it applies to me. If I have any more questions I'll let you guys know.

Nicod

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey I have a 01 TDI i just finished the swap on and everything works good except my reverse lights stay on all the time when the key is on whether my relay is plugged in or not or even with reverse sensor unplugged. light did go out for about a minute at one point but cant figure out why.
Thank you

Nicod

TDI
2001 Jetta
Not sure what it was but went to go take everything apart checked all the wires behind relay all looked right decided to check lights again and problem fixed itself somehow.:confused: oh well just happy they don't stay on anymore.

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Bringing it out of Hibernation!

alphaseinor

TDI
Thank you very much, but it is alphaseinor who deserves the credit.
You also deserve credit... the wiring PDF was very well done.

ELM

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle 5 speed swap
Both of you guys alphaseinor and boertje have saved many many Jettas, Beetles and Golf from the wrecking yard and given them a new life. Thanks for your all your work. You guys rock:D

Kartain

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I'll find out tomorrow just how good I did. Just bought an01 Beetle TDI manual from one of my customers for buy-back cost from insurance. She give it a permanent smile from the tree she hit center mass. Now I can convert my 02 Jetta as long as nothing is major broken up.

mkIValh

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
Bringing it out of Hibernation!
You don't have to worry about that I could't wait to finish the swap an put the Tdi back on the road. Big big thanks to both of you guy once again, you guy were a huge help in bringing back these car back from the dead. The only thing I can't figure out is why is the car so sluggish taking off?

THanks again can't express how happy I am. Super Super happy:D:D:D

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Many things. Actuator on the turbo, stuck turbo, vacuum pump leaking, bad vacuum hoses, bad N75 valve, IQ setting just for starters. Where is your IQ set at? What about boost specified vs actual?

vwaudiwelder

TDI
00 Mk4 Jetta Sedan /02 Mk4 Jetta Wagon
01M to 02J 2002 wagon wiring question. No pin #19!

Hello all.

Hello there, I have spent a fair amount of time reading your very informative forum thread about converting the 01M auto to 02J manual. I have done most all the mechanical work, I am now working on the electrical. Being here in Ohio I am CONSTANTLY using my cruise control. I must have this operational.

I have acquired both the starter interlock WHITE switch and BLUE cruise control switch that are activated by the clutch pedal operation. I have found continuity from the green/yellow wire at pin #5 on the 175 relay to the TCU connector.

I am now at a DEAD END.

The red/yellow wire at the TCU connector does not have continuity with ANY wires on my large ECU harness connector. I have not opened up the smaller of the 2 connectors on the ECU. I was expecting to see a red/yellow wire at pin #19 on my large ECU plug. There are no wires there at all! Also, I expected from the instructions I printed out for there to be no connected wire/nothing at pin #66 on this same large plug. It was here I was going to relocate the pin #19 yellow/red wire. Guess what? I have a gray/brown stripe wire at pin #66!

Not only do I not have anything at pin #19, I already have a wire present at pin #66 that should be open! Do I need to open up and look at the smaller of the 2 ECU plugs for continuity to the TCU red/yellow wire?

Instead of the yellow/red wire at the TCU that is tied together with the green/yellow wire leading to pin #5 on the 175 relay plug (with a 53 relay in its place) should I look for a different wire? I am quite frustrated and on a deadline as I need to test drive this car just as soon as humanly possible.

If you might please provide some guidance I would be most appreciative.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you all so very much.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
I too have a 2002 Jetta wagon. Those instructions you have look wrong. Check out the how to in my sig and go to page 27 for wiring instructions. The wire in the TCU is yellow/blue (continuity with yellow/blue wire at pin 9 of relay 175 socket) and yellow/red, the latter having continuity with yellow/red wire at pin 19 of ECU. It is VERY easy to miscount the pin out of the large ECU connector. Page 40 has a diagram with pins marked of the ECU connector.

vwaudiwelder

TDI
00 Mk4 Jetta Sedan /02 Mk4 Jetta Wagon
Hello there boertje, I do appreciate the assistance. While I have unfortunately made a single typo in my original message above, I have been following the instructions posted at the very beginning of this thread provided by GdB. The typo I made was that the yellow/green (or yellow/blue) wire was at pin #5. Of course this is wrong, it is pin #9 while pin #5 in the center of the 175 relay is the green/black wire.

Back to my original problem: The MAIN ECU harness does not have anything at pin#19! It is very clearly marked #6 at one end of the black plug and #24 at the other just next to my left index finger. I have counted both forwards at backwards to arrive to pin #19 and I always come up with the same conclusion, there is nothing there! This is on the BLACK HARNESS pictured.

For pin #66, I am now seeing one end of the ECU plug marked with pin #63 at one end and pin #81 at the other end. Again, I have counted both forwards and backwards from these pins to arrive at pin #66. I do not see an empty/open socket for which I can place the non-existant pin#19, instead I see a GRAY wire with a BROWN stripe. This is the WHITE HARNESS pictured.

For the TCU connector, I can only see one red/yellow wire. It just so happens to be near the yellow/blue wire leading to pin #9 on the 175 relay socket. I have tried yet again to find any continuity between this red/yellow wire that is now cut (with the temporary multimeter alligator clip attached) and any other wire on the large/main ECU black or white inner harnesses.

I am completely stumped. I sure hope my 3 photographs go through so you all can see what I see. I marked the pins #19 and #66 with a sharpie or soapstone to show contrast. I have also marked the orange silicon dust seal in the interest of clarity.

I really need to drive this machine just as soon as possible. Do I have an oddball machine or what? I anxiously await any helpful comments or suggestions. Thanks again everyone.