DPF newbe questions

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I'm not new to diesel engines in general. Having worked on them and have owned a variety of "dirty" diesels. I am however new to the DPF operation as far as actual hands on road time. As a new 2011 JSW TDI owner I have unanswered questions on its operation. T.I.A. to experienced driver input that will help myself and possibly others new to the game.

1) I've gathered the DPF regenerates every 5-600 miles?
2) Is it time/mileage or computer parameter demanded?
3) What are the indicators its happening?
4) I've gathered there are 2 emissions dealt with. Soot and ash. Soot burns off, ash accumulates?
5) Is there an actual numeric value assigned to soot and ash amounts?
6) Does fuel quality effect these levels? If so will filtration help?
7) Can DPF be renewed or is it a throw away once its plugged?

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I know the answers to some of these. I ended up removing the DPF quickly on all of my vehicles, however.

1) Yes, generally, but it is variable.
2) It's a computer parameter. I think it calculates soot buildup somewhere and regenerates when that passes a threshold.
3) Your car feels lethargic and mileage drops. It can be subtle sometimes. Other times it will be quite noticeable (uphill in the wind)
4) More or less, yes
5) Yes, it is stored as a value that can be read by the VCDS (VW-specific OBD2 device: https://www.ross-tech.com/)
6) I am not completely sure, but it most likely does. I am also pretty sure that the oem filtration setup - despite shortcomings - is adequate. I know a lot of people here put aftermarket, additional filters on theirs.
7) Throw away. Service at the dealership is $1400(?) but should be covered under the emissions warranty. Life is about 100,000 miles(?). not sure

Now, having said all that, here is a stellar resource for your new vehicle: https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/...ter-dpf-faq-repair-cleaning-and-pictures-tdi/

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I know the answers to some of these. I ended up removing the DPF quickly on all of my vehicles, however.
Great info. thanks

I assume you don't have an annual emissions test?

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
I’m currently at 246,000 miles on my original dpf, although I did clean it using a jet washer at 190,000 as my ash load was getting a little high. Never had any trouble with it though. I try to let it complete it’s regenerations as much as I can but otherwise just let it do it thing.
Regular oil changes with good quality low ash oil and good quality fuel is key, along with regular longish trips. My biggest tip is, maintain it well and just enjoy the car ��