Premium diesel in DC burbs?

akio

TDI
2004 PD Jetta Wagon
Can anybody tell me where to find decent, reliable 45 or higher cetane diesel in and around DC, particularly northern Virginia (Arlington, Fairfax, Alexandria)? All I'm seeing along Route 1 and off 95 is 40 cetane in crummy stations where they can't even be bothered to fix the credit card reader.

There's an Amoco off Pennsylvania and 14th SE that carries "premium diesel," but the pump looks like it hasn't been used since McKinley's term. I used to go to the Crown off Route 1 across from Potomac Yards, but there's always a crowd of delivery vans and toothless inbreds blocking the one diesel pump that flows slower than molassas pie in January. Thanks!

akio

TDI
2004 PD Jetta Wagon
That sounds familiar. Is it off Route 123 or Route 7? Does it do a lot of business?

Tango_Kilo

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2004, reflex silver
[ QUOTE ]
That sounds familiar. Is it off Route 123 or Route 7? Does it do a lot of business?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're on 123 next to the Mobil at 123 and International Drive. They seem to do a decent amount of business. My TDI seems quieter on Lukoil. Current price = $1.799

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
Never used the Lukoil place...and I may with this suggestion (price is good for this area)! /images/graemlins/cool.gif High volume diesel traffic is key at any place in No VA...many stations that don't seem to get any traffic (ex: Chevron at Spring Hill Rd./Old Dominion Dr. w/ 40 cetane tag), stay away from them! I have filled up at the one on Rt. 1 you mentioned...a good amount of traffic at those pumps from what I remember. If you ever make a trek to Richmond, exit 104 on I-95 is prime.($1.49 right now...very high traffic on both the 40&45 cetane pumps) Even if the pump says 45, though they don't get much traffic, you're better off getting the 40 with high traffic. The Mobil at Rt. 7 and Springvale/Baron Cameron Pkwy gets good traffic (has 40 cetane tag though high price of $1.97 now). I use PowerService on every other tank as it is; so I'm not too concerned about 40 vs 45. (and I get 50 MPG consistantly /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

EDIT (what I found from doing a search in the forums):
"Luk Oil in Tysons Corner (Rt 123) has 50 Cetane fuel" This seems like a good place to go if they do indeed have decent diesel traffic!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have been using this station for several years.
It used to be a Getty station. One of our members actually had a sample of the fuel tested at one point I think it came back at 48+ Cetane. My cars run much quieter and less smoke on this fuel.
I also on my last 2 tanks have used the BP/Amoco on RT 7 not far from the Luk station with good results this station was revenvated last year to include new tanks advertised as premium Diesel cetane not advertised though 1.769

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
I was wondering if someone had tried that BP station, since the price is a bit better than LukOil...

Jason

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the BP/Amoco station east or west on Rt. 7 from 123?

I guess it is a matter of go with what you know works... $1.79 at Lukoil and as stated (though supplier could be different now?) above was tested at 48+, while none have yet stepped forward to test a sample of what BP/Amoco on Rt. 7 (while only $.03 cheaper) offers.

Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention to the cetane level, but I haven't noticed a difference between pumps labled 40&45+. Only my milage drops if fuel quality (which I associate more with how often the tanks are refreshed than cetane) deteriorates.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
I have been using this station for several years.
It used to be a Getty station. One of our members actually had a sample of the fuel tested at one point I think it came back at 48+ Cetane. My cars run much quieter and less smoke on this fuel.
I also on my last 2 tanks have used the BP/Amoco on RT 7 not far from the Luk station with good results this station was revenvated last year to include new tanks advertised as premium Diesel cetane not advertised though 1.769
I went over to this Lukoil next to tysons today. There was no cetane marking on their crufty looking no-credit-card-reader "auto diesel #2" pump.

There are many other local stations selling 40 cetane for close to $2/gal, so I find it hard to believe Lukoil is selling 50 cetane fuel for just $1.79.

I filled up there anyways, but I would like to get their fuel tested. Who/what/where do I send a sample to?

BeyondAldebron

TDI
Jetta Wagon Gls, 2004, Blue Graphite
On telegraph rd just off of 495 there is a HESS station that has 45. It seems to sell a fair ammount of diesel. Also there is another HESS station that has it, near fairfax county park way and rt 1 just in front of ft belvoir. Ive found that _most_ HESS fueling stations have 45. The BP/AMMOCO in tysons has 47 as well as the one off of sterling parkway just before RT 28. But if you live near old town, its a bit of a drive. So when you cant get AMMOCO, I use HESS.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I fill up at the Route 1/Fairfax County Parkway Hess, or the Hess station about 6 miles North of that on Route 1, since I live right between the two and near Rt. 1. When I worked in the trucking industry, I was told Hess had just about the best diesel. Its just about the only brand labeled with a cetane more than 40. It also costs a bit less than the so called Texaco premium diesel, which I think is 40 cetane anyway.

--Nate

akio

TDI
2004 PD Jetta Wagon
On telegraph rd just off of 495 there is a HESS station that has 45. It seems to sell a fair ammount of diesel. Also there is another HESS station that has it, near fairfax county park way and rt 1 just in front of ft belvoir.
I've used the Telegraph Road Hess station, but found a closer one to where I live (Route 1 by the Five Guys burger place). 45 cetane and lots of truck business. Tysons is too much of a hike for me. It would be like those SUV drivers who drive 30 miles and blow half a tank of gas to save 2 cents a gallon.

Hope the Pentagon Biodiesel station opens up for real on 1 Oct. I've been hearing about it for over a year now.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone have the address of the station opening up with the B20 pump? What diesel is making up the 80%? This is a Citgo station, right? Never have heard anything good about their diesel... Though with 20% bio in there, one could ditch the saying "you can't polish a turd"

davenkay

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg. 2
Are the Amoco stations in DC and Virginia marketing good ole "Amoco Premier Diesel" or are they selling the "Powerblend" like in the Baltimore marketing area?

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Same company...Powerblend at Amoco in Sterling...on the Blvd near Rt. 28. I don't think the stations 'round here know what's up in the first place. People have asked the Lukoil station where they get their fuel...but it's a mystery...it's great diesel though. I haven't seen anyone post about the new-ish BP station in Tyson's Corner with regards to what diesel they serve up.(if that can be discerned from receipts from the supplier if a manager is asked).

Anyone got the address for the Pentagon Citgo that will be opening up with the B20?

ckbarcus

TDI
2000 golf,2011 jetta sports wg.
The FasMart chain still flies the Amoco colors.
I know of at least 3 in Stafford County on US Hwy1
The fuel is Powerblend, 47 Cetane and around $1.70/gal.
If Lukoil doesn't have it's pump tagged with the Cetane
rateing, give Va. weights & measures a call.
It's required by Virgina law, No Cetane sticker don't
buy it.

ckbarcus

TDI
Spoke to soon about Fas Mart. Todays paper artical
says they are changeing fuel supplier to " Valero"
Anyone know the grade of their diesel.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
ckbarcus: you know the number for the
VA weights/measurements people? That Lukoil in Tyson's doesn't have a Cetane number posted. Nor does the BP right around the corner that has "BP Premium Diesel" (on the pump but no cetane #) if I remember the phrasing/wording correctly.

These are both the stations I use now when I fill up in the NoVA area. My Golf always runs fine with either... But I'm willing to call around to make sure things are hunky-dorey.

ckbarcus

TDI
Mr. Napalm
Va. fuel regulators comes under "product & industry
standards" ofVa. consumers afairs-Tel.804 786 2476
There is a regional office also-540 347 6383

V_TDI

TDI
2004 VW Golf GLS TDI - Black
What's the latest on biodiesel blends in the DC area? I keep hearing talk about there being a pump near the Pentagon or Pentagon City that may have B20, but rumor has it that it's only for military personnel? Someone please help clarify this... thanks!