Neuspeed Upper strut tie bar install - align / drill / oops / fix / doh! question

Mencius01

This is for a 2001 Jetta GLS VR6:

On Sunday my friend helped me install the Neuspeed upper strut tower bar. While we were aligning the bar in preparation for the drilling we discovered that we couldn't lay the bar such that the legs would be flat on both towers - rather the driver's side tower was more angled and so there was about 1/4" (inch) of space between the tower top and the inside hole of the leg.

We (rather he) drilled the four holes and we were able to bolt down 3 of the 4 holes w/ few problems, except for that inside hole, which was now misaligned. To rectify that he drilled into the bar and widened the hole (so that it looks like the Mastercard logo w/o the colors). The bolt fit in the side closer to the insde edge of the leg. My question is whether that weakens that leg in any way (not having a fully enclosed hole - but a hole w/ one side open (facing the original hole)) or not??

The car is my daily driver and I intend to do 2-3 track events and a few autocrosses a year with it, as well as some spirited (attempted-spirited) driving around some twisty roads in the area ... I also hope the car can last me 5+ years ...

The other downside is that I don't think i would be able to sell the bar again in the future should I need to take it off ...

Sorry for the simplistic and stupid questions ... I really am new to all this ...

Many thanks!!

[ October 22, 2002, 13:37: Message edited by: Mencius01 ]

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
My Neuspeed bar didn't install perfectly straight either, but I can yank on the bar as hard as possible and bewteen that and daily driving, it doesn't appear to move. I'm a bit disappointed in the fit quality, but it makes a big difference even though it has some small gaps. I've put 10-15k on it with nothing but improved steering response. Don't sweat it.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I have installed 6 of these bars and found that you have to make very very sure the car is on level ground put the bar in place with someone holding it use a sharp center punch and mark all 4 holes centered in the bolt hole. If any hole is not centered perfect your problem happens.

Mencius01

yeah we were on level ground - tho' this was the first time my friend and I were doing this (but he's precise and takes his time) so while it looked aligned when we placed the bar and we even noted the gap, however we forgot that the distance between the two holes would need to be smaller for when we bolt the bar down as the driver's side bar leg would swivel downwards ... oh well - good to know for next time ...

[ October 22, 2002, 15:34: Message edited by: Mencius01 ]

Mencius01

Originally posted by Birdman:
I have installed 6 of these bars and found that you have to make very very sure the car is on level ground put the bar in place with someone holding it use a sharp center punch and mark all 4 holes centered in the bolt hole. If any hole is not centered perfect your problem happens.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">right and so my question is how much of a difference or issue or problem does my experience / problem cause??

Thanks!

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
IF the everything is good and tight i would keep an eye on the front tires to see that they are wearing normal. if the frame is off much thats the first thing to go. NOTE i don,t think you will have a problem unless it was really off. try getting the car on level ground loosen the bolts then retighten you should be all right.