Serious shifting problems

jeffinstereo

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I just purchased a 98 5 speed jetta. Test drove it, rode fine. When I got it home I noticed that when I shifted into reverse the tranny would actually go into first and not reverse. I know I am not putting the shifter into the 1st slot, I am pushing it down and going as far left as the gear box will let me. I live in the city and have to parallel park every day. Can anybody give me an idea of what is causing this and how to fix it?

nichols735

TDI
2001, 115k and climbing
do some searching and you will find further explanation, but you need to look at the "golf club" (i.e. counterweight) on the top of the transmission. In that area the shifter linkage connects to the top of the tranny. On cable controls up and down motion, the other side to side (which is where your having problems). I had the same problem as you and it was just a case of the various bushings and holes being worn out. Try searching for a DIY short shifter or something along those lines. I found a post somewhere with some really good pictures and it will give you an idea of how everything works and what your looking at.
You might get lucky and be able to adjust everything out, but just be careful that you can still go into 5th.

I am going to be perfectly honest with you, if you live in the city, and dont have a garage or are not mechanically inclined, this car is going to be a headache. Find a friend with lots of tools, a garage, and a cold fridge.

jeffinstereo

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I am somewhat mechanically inclined, so certain things I can perform in a parking space. I found an article in a previous thread with a link on how to adjust your linkage. I adjusted the linkage and test drove it, so far it seems ok. Hopefully it holds up. Thanks for the advice Nichols!

superscooter

TDI
97 B4V VR6
I've had a difficult time finding a good VW mechanic in the Philadelphia area who doesn't charge an arm and a leg. Here are the few that I've located in the area that I've used in the past few years:

CSE Automotive Oreland, PA
Woodlawn Foreign Auto (Germantown on Woodlawn St)
Volkstech Burlington, NJ

No one REALLY knows these unique cars, but they are all VW experts. CSE and Woodlawn are the best and more pricey ($80+ per hour), while Volkstech is the more affordable option.

I live in Northern Liberties and am somewhat familiar with this problem. I can at least point out the shifter linkage if thats helpful. My TDI is totaled and currently being salvaged by CSE Automotive. Hopefully I can afford to save the TDI drive train!!

You can contact me at superscooter@gmail.com or send a Personal Message (PM) here on the forum by clicking on my name here at the top left.

-Scott-

superscooter

TDI
97 B4V VR6
I've had a difficult time finding a good VW mechanic in the Philadelphia area who doesn't charge an arm and a leg. Here are the few that I've located in the area that I've used in the past few years:

CSE Automotive Oreland, PA
Woodlawn Foreign Auto (Germantown on Woodlawn St)
Volkstech Burlington, NJ

No one REALLY knows these unique cars, but they are all VW experts. CSE and Woodlawn are the best and more pricey ($80+ per hour), while Volkstech is the more affordable option.

I live in Northern Liberties and am somewhat familiar with this problem. I can at least point out the shifter linkage if thats helpful. My TDI is totaled and currently being salvaged by CSE Automotive. Hopefully I can afford to save the TDI drive train!!

You can contact me at superscooter@gmail.com or send a Personal Message (PM) here on the forum by clicking on my name here at the top left.

-Scott-

jeffinstereo

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I found this post in a similar thread...
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/shifter-adjust-VW-Audi.htm

The nut that you loosen is adjustable. If you loosen it and slide it towards the driver side it will correct the problem when first gear engages reverse. Sliding it to the passenger side will correct the issue I had when putting it in reverse engages first. Be careful though, because if you go to far in either direction you will loose either reverse or 5th. What worked perfectly for me was sliding the nut halfway in between the center and all the way to the passenger side.