How to get rid of the DRL on the B4's by Rammstein

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
How to get rid of the DRL on the B4\'s by Rammstein

Welcome back! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You just got your Euroswitch and want the DRL's off when your switch is at the "all off" position?

Or maybe you want an all off position on your regular switch?

Easy.

First locate the DRL relay:

A more distant picture:

As you see the relay is besides the N75 on the firewall, behind the coolant reservoir.

Just press the metal clips and pull on the bottom piece to get it out.

It can be real tough if the relay has never been touched.

Try twisting it until you get it out.

As you see, I've kinda put it back in, but not fully.

So when I open my hood, it looks like the DRL are on, but they're not... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Any questions? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red

[ QUOTE ]

Any questions? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I got a question.

Why are you calling it a relay? ..... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It is just a simple wire connection \splice \junction.
A relay is an electric switch.

Just messin with you. A timely post indeed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ColoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Blue Passat Sedan

[ QUOTE ]
....Why are you calling it a relay? ..... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Just messin with you. A timely post indeed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Geez Eric, get your car back and you're all sarcastic! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, I did want to ask if it is true on some '96s this will actually make the DRL setting (left position on stock switch) a "completely off" setting?
I did this a few days back and all it seems to do on my '96 is disable the headlights only. I am just very happy to not have my headlights come on when I put the key in the ignition!
Thanks!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
can I wire the DRL to the emergency brake switch like on the A4s ??

I have had the car for 7 years and always wanted to control when they are on or off . I never liked trying to crank the car while they were on .

I like how the emergency hand brake switch cuts the lights on or off on the A4s . I wonder if I can wire this wire to the hand brake switch like they did on the A4s ? Anyone know the answer to this one ??

If not I think I'm going to run a pair of wires to a sitch inside the car so I can cut them on or off with a regular switch somewhere inside the car .

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
rotarykid said:
I have had the car for 7 years and always wanted to control when they are on or off . I never liked trying to crank the car while they were on .
I just turn my light switch to the park position and the drl's go out, the parking lights come on, but draw much less current. At least you don't have to disable the drl's to do this. I hate them though.

Thanks for this post Rammstein, I am on it, I hate those damn things.

Ray

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Excellent! It took longer to walk to the garage than it did to do the mod!
Thanks again!

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
I have now this connecter....well...connected.
When you do the mod which make your low and high beam go on, you can reconnect this yellow connector.
It's somewhere here, by Lug nut.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
tmophoto@mac.com said:
if you have the ebrake on the DRL dont turn on in my car. works for startign anyway..

t
The B4s weren't wired tha way in the US . On a B4 Passat When the key is on , the DRL lights are on here .

The A4s like yours were wired that way but not the B4 TDIs in the US .

wait4TDIPD

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4
bikeprof said:
Hmmmmmmm.

"but officer...I just didn't see the car"!

Maybe a good reason to have DRL's, less carnage?
Ay to that - I have a few stop sign 4-way intersections on my way to work.
When I had the DRLs off, I was ignored (not seen?) too many times, 2 to 3 times out of 10), maybe because my B4 is gray like a mouse, like the asphalt of the road.
So, when I turned them on again, I definitely was less ignored, (maybe once out of ten times at that same stop, at similar situation).

If you have a white or yellow car, others will see you better......

So, for a grey car IT IS a safety device, no doubt (I hate it too, by the way, just turn the lights on, except when it's really bright and sunny with no other adverse light conditons whatsoever).
::...and there WAS light....

ky_tdi_mike

TDI
passat, 1996, white
Just cut my DRL's out, been wanting to know how to do that for a long time...Thanks for that.
Next up clearing the headlight lenses, my uncle told me he had a polish that could do it, or do i need to take them off and bake them, will they be yellowed on the inside too?

tdimatt

Veteran Member
TDI
none for now
Rammstein said:
Welcome back! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You just got your Euroswitch and want the DRL's off when your switch is at the "all off" position?

Or maybe you want an all off position on your regular switch?
Great info, but how do you turn off the parking lights on a B4V? Will the euroswitch in the all off position turn off the parking lights?

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
Cleaning headlight lens

yk tdi mike, I found a kit at Auto zone, for cleaning the headlights. Came with enough pads to do two cars for me. Worked great. About $12.00 I think. Mike

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
tdimatt said:
Great info, but how do you turn off the parking lights on a B4V? Will the euroswitch in the all off position turn off the parking lights?
Yeah, me too. Earlier B4s like my 10/96 model turn ALL the lights on...the above procedure only eliminated the headlights from coming on.

So how do you disable the rest of the lights? I'd not be opposed to a proper Euro switch, but is there a way to have an "all off" position with the standard North American switch????

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Simply buy a light switch from a 95 Passat. Then you will have an old school 3 position switch: all off, parking lights, all lights. If you want to install front fogs, then buy a light switch from a 95 GLX. If you want front & rear fogs buy an Euro switch for any B4, and have fun figuring out the wiring to the trunk.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So the pre-DRL B4 switch will work...cool! Thanks!

:D

Now, which switch do I order???

The one in the car now is a 3A1 941 531 L
ETKA shows (for a '95 Passat) a ....J, ...M, ...N switches. Both the J and M are for cars with fog lamps, but there looks to be a VIN split.

'95 was goofy with the A3s, too. I owned 2 '95 Golfs, built 4 months apart. The newer car had DRLs, the older one did not.

J says for "USA", M has no note. N also says for "USA", but for cars without fogs. Grrrr....

Last edited:

BritD059

TDI
2005 Golf GLS
i just leave the e-brake on and drive everywhere, i go through brakes real quick but no DRL's! jk jk

Rattler05.5

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 5m; For sale
i just leave the e-brake on and drive everywhere, i go through brakes real quick but no DRL's! jk jk
You bumped a 3.5year old thread and your input has nothing to do with the B4 cars being discussed. On the older cars the e-brake handle does not shut off the DRLs.

It got it to the top so that I noticed it and will use it though. Thanks for that.

BritD059

TDI
2005 Golf GLS
man you guys are picky! it was just a joke.
no more funny business in the forums!
crap!
guess ill stay in the mk4s seems like we have a sense of humor.

Last edited: