What's your views on

stucbr

Veteran Member
TDI
01 1.9 tdi estate
Electric power steering

Personally I hate it, I've got it on an 06 focus mk2 with 3 settings "sport" "standard" " comfort" maybe it's me but there's no feel to it like conventional hydraulic. When I got it after a couple of days I thought this steering's weird plus on rough rds (and there's plenty of them!) the steering wheels vibrates/shakes, not wheel balancing shaking just shaking.

But it's this electric steering that really hate...I don't think I'll have long and stick to my high miler mk4 wagon :)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I can take it or leave it. Some cars have issues with it, like the hybrid Fords, any Hyundai/Kia product, some GM products. Some do not, like Volkswagen. I am speaking of the reliability and durability of the system, not the "feel" of it.

It certainly makes things easier to service, and a lot less messy! :p

I think a lot of people wouldn't even know the difference, and could not tell you what any specific car is equipped with, even if they drove it every day, if you asked them. And some cars have an electric-driven hydraulic system which brings the benefits of both, but the complexity of both too. I also think the rest of the car can have an impact on the feel, so it can be unfair to compare unless there is a similar model car that may have one or the other (which is rare, but the NCS Jetta and NMS Passats are such vehicles). And in those cases, I think the hydraulic does "feel" a bit better, but again I very much doubt even 10% of the people that drive them could tell the difference.

stucbr

Veteran Member
TDI
01 1.9 tdi estate
I noticed and felt bloody weird and don't like it

Maybe on the focus mk2 it's a **** system and if I drove something that was good it'd be ok but not this. Unless there's something worn or broke somewhere I'll talk to the guy I use as his dad's not long after getting a 13 or 14 plate high spec focus c max I think, that'll probably have it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I prefer hydraulic. But electric is getting better. I bet if you drive a new Focus you'll find the steering better than in the 12 year old one.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
It was about electric power steering in general if you read it right
And this is in the MKIV forums. Wasn't aware that ANY MKIVs had electric power steering.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It was about electric power steering in general if you read it right

Yes, and it is in a forum labeled clearly at the top "TDI Model Specific Discussion Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

Which covers cars that are made by a different manufacturer, and do not even use electric assisted steering. So yes, I can read right. Most folks are probably wondering why anyone even posted here about this topic, and that is why your traffic is low. :rolleyes:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
And then there's the Subject title: "What's your views on" Couldn't have been any less specific on what the topic is about.

Seems like this was a trolling effort?

And one last thing, a location of "In the hill's," is of no help (discourteous), not to mention: Why the possessive? (In the hill's valley; or, In the hills of such and such)