Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

JTRI

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6sp man
After staying at $2.79 for weeks, diesel jumped to $2.89. Meanwhile, RUG has gone up $0.25/gallon over the same time period

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
RUG prices are creeping up. DD are staying the same or going down a little.

Now,
RUG: $2.15 (from low of $1.99)
DD: $ 2.57 (it was $2.89 when RUG was at $1.99)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
The longer term issue there is that the regulators will slow down rail shipments by limiting the number of oil tank cars per run. Most of the cars in that crash were the new "safer" design.
This crude is far more dangerous than the other types of crude that has for decades been transported by rail. The industry is fighting tooth and nail not to be required to use the thicker metal construction transporters that the regulators asked for.

For the record, these cars were not up to the engineering standard that the regulators asked for.. But they were made from a thicker material than was used in older constructed tanker cars. A thicker material which is better than what had been used before, but still not up to a thicker standard that might have actually prevented this fireball from happening upon crashing.....

Sadly, I believe for the engineers to be listened to we are going to have to have a larger size town leveled with many more people dieing from the blast when these things crash and jump tracks before the industry is forced to build them to the safer heavier standard the regulators asked for...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Reports being presented in the media here were that these were the newer safer train cars, then again I don't put a lot of stock in the news anymore, it's pretty much just toeing the line.

Diesel here has now risen along with gasoline. Not sure how this equates to the rest of the country since conventions are different state to state but in Iowa the Plus unleaded is always the cheapest fuel, RUG is next above that and then of course there's what they sell as premium. I put this out there because I know from travel that in some states the Plus is considered a better grade than RUG since the octane is supposedly higher, but here in Iowa the Plus is the cheapest fuel.

D2 had been at $2.55 for over a week. Plus and RUG had risen some without any impact on D2 until this week when it also went up along with a second bump in price to gasoline products.

As for keystone there are people here opposed to it in a significant way. Personally I think it's premature to be considering a pipeline when in fact oil prices could remain low for some time and could go much lower too. By the time Keystone is finished there might not be any product in the Bakkan to be pumped given the break-even and depletion rates on existing wells. It could end up being a huge misallocation of resources. That doesn't even address whether a private entity ought to be able to access eminent domain for a profitable venture, which is a very sticky subject here in Iowa and something I'm opposed to.

Plus $2.16
D2 $2.66

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
For Iowa the plus is with 10% ethanol. Most other states where I travel, the regular is the alcohol contains fuel. In NC, you have to go to mid grade to get something without alcohol.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Only regular in NC and SC. Oh and e85 of course

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
I thought all grades had ethanol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They do where I live in Alabama. Every pump has a sticker saying all grades contain (or may contain) up to 10% ethanol.

My area is close to the ocean so we have a ton of personal watercraft being towed around, so many gas stations also sell midgrade e-free for jet skis, boats and cars. But it's very expensive. For example, the BP nearest me sells midgrade for $2.259 but their e-free midgrade is $2.899. I think the cheapest e-free is $2.699, but that's still a bit higher than regular at $2.129.

Diesel is $2.499 to $2.999 here.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Diesel is still settling a few pennies with some stations at $2.59 but most at $2.79. RUG has started rising from a low around $1.79 to an average of $2.09. Still the best spread I have seen in a long time.

Jason

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
According to AAA, the spread between RUG and ULSD was 87 cents on January 14th.

It was still 77 cents on January 29th.

Yesterday, February 20th, it was 58 cents.

Parity by May 10th is still my target, at least in some states, but it could be late April.

moszzer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
About a month ago I saw diesel for $2.00 and I though I was pumping gasoline into my car and freaked out but then a look closer and there it was, a sign, that read "Diesel $2.00 a gallon". Currently diesel has gone up and now it is around $2.40 - $2.75. I forgot to mention that this is in northwest Ohio.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
RUG jumped another dime at a few stations, and I expect other stations to start following suit. Diesel is still steady, but that may start changing at any point.

Jason

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Creep Up? Arnold/Severna Park line, BP went up $.20gl in 1 day, $2.79 Sunday, $2.99 Monday, I got 30 gallon @ SHell in Bowie @$2.599, plus another .05 because shell card,, they were less than Mobil down the road, which is unusual.

Buckwild90

TDI
2013 golf tdi with dsg(Buyback), 2001 Jetta tdi 5mt 414k miles, 2002 Jetta 5mt 289k miles
ive been paying 2.399 south of memphis at a shell for weeks now paid 2.169 outside st.louis last week at shell i was pretty stoked.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
$2.95 as I drive past my usual fuel stop today. Another station a few miles up the road is $2.65. But that station doesn't get the traffic that the other does.

2TDIs_1Cup

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Lowest price here in central FL is $2.79 for ULSD, cheapest RUG is $2.29, when I drove back after picking up my car in New York I saw numbers from $2.63 all the way up to $3.35 depending on what state I was in.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
RUG - $2.36
D2 - $3.36

diesel officially dead around here with regards to cost savings.....

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Here in Central Ohio diesel is now about 25% more than regular, so I'm at least no longer paying at the pump for the privilege of driving a diesel. I might even be saving a few cents a tank...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
D2 here currently at $2.60, was at $2.56 for a couple weeks, went up to $2.65 and then back to $2.60.

That is without the new dime increase in fuel tax approved by the State (despite complaints and questionable committee shuffling to get it done). People are not happy.