Jeep Compass

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Rented one. Drove it 900 miles in one day. Hoped out fresh and ready to go. I really like it. Nice cabin and super comfortable. Thoughts?

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Not a diesel and I have no idea what was under the hood.The only flaw was the steering being a little too quick. It took a while for the suspension to catch up when I turned at high speed and I think an emergency move at 80 mph could get sketchy.The most impressive thing was the seats, seating position, arm rests and big fat padded steering wheel. All that stuff was perfect for long cruising. I was flogging it pretty good and it got 24.xxx mpg going from Wisconsin to DC in 2WD. Not great, but not bad. I was just wondering if anyone else on here had any experience with them. The wife is getting interested in all that "sit up high, be safe, small SUV stuff" :rolleyes: Thinking about upgrading the fleet. The compass is not very expensive and there might be enough money left for a 2017 GTI with Sport Pack :D after the 4k discount on the GTI and unloading the old cars.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
How is the MPG?

I wonder if this is a direct injection gasoline engine.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The current Jeep Compass? Or the new one that is just out? I didn't think the new one has hit dealers yet. The old one was an outdated and unremarkable vehicle. The new one is vastly improved.

Either way, 2.4 Tigershark 4 banger gas engine with MultiAir. Doesn't have direct-injection. Old Compass - CVT. New Compass - 9-speed automatic.

This slots in between the Renegade and Cherokee.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
New Compass - There are a few on dealer lots and many in transit. Wonder if the 9 speed is sorted out yet.
Old Compass is a good value as it was heavily discounted during most of it's life. Other than that it is just transportation. Compass and Patriot were available with PowerTech 6 speed automatic from 2014 on as long as they did not have Freedom Drive II. CVT is awful.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
The one I drove was the old one...I think. It had an automatic transmission and switchable four wheel drive. I was in a big rush so didn't examine it that closely.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
OK, you guys convinced me, but damn it would be a very comfortable place to spend time waiting for a tow truck. :D

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
New Compass - There are a few on dealer lots and many in transit. Wonder if the 9 speed is sorted out yet.
2016-on transmission has a different part number. It isn't known what's changed inside, but indications are that it is much better sorted. They sell enough Cherokees with that same transmission (although most of those are attached to the 3.2 Pentastar V6)

I had a Chrysler 200 rental (pre-2016, so before the fixes) and thought the complaints were overrated. Yes, if you are cruising along at steady gentle throttle at moderate highway speed in 8th gear and then abruptly without warning slam the accelerator to the floor, the transmission has to play hopskotch internally in order to accommodate the immediate 8th-to-3rd downshift request. Driven like a normal person the way it's meant to be used and the way most people normally drive, it's fine.

More info on the new Compass http://www.allpar.com/reviews/previews/compass-2017.html

Interestingly, there are apparently three transmission options - including manual. https://www.jeep.ca/en_dir/pdf/2017/brochures/suvcompass.pdf

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Not a diesel and I have no idea what was under the hood.The only flaw was the steering being a little too quick. It took a while for the suspension to catch up when I turned at high speed and I think an emergency move at 80 mph could get sketchy.The most impressive thing was the seats, seating position, arm rests and big fat padded steering wheel. All that stuff was perfect for long cruising.

I was flogging it pretty good and it got 24.xxx mpg going from Wisconsin to DC in 2WD. Not great, but not bad. I was just wondering if anyone else on here had any experience with them. The wife is getting interested in all that "sit up high, be safe, small SUV stuff" :rolleyes:

Thinking about upgrading the fleet. The compass is not very expensive and there might be enough money left for a 2017 GTI with Sport Pack :D after the 4k discount on the GTI and unloading the old cars.

Which is the reason (mostly) rental units are generally shunned and lowballed come resale time.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Which is the reason (mostly) rental units are generally shunned and lowballed come resale time.
What I meant was a lot of running at 80 mph, which abuses nothing but fuel economy. And who in their right mind would buy a rental car ? Hundreds of owners and no maintenance.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
What I meant was a lot of running at 80 mph, which abuses nothing but fuel economy.
I was/am looking-studying used VW 2015 Golf, TSI

Last two I looked at (today) were at *retail* with asking prices of $2,500 to $3,000 below KBB or NADA

Naturally they spent there rental time in the NE, (DC area, salt sand, snow, plow action, etc.)

Then to the auction hammer ~~ then hauled South.