Transmission or Torque Converter ~ You Decide?

holechit

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Hello All ~ Here we go again... Another newbie with what he believes is a torque converter problem. I'm looking for you guru's out there to jump in and show me the light. :)

I'm not a mechanic just a DIY. Here's what I've got: 2002 Jetta 1.9l TDI, auto transmission, with 267,000 original miles. I've only had one mechanical problem in all these miles, alternator. I perform the normal engine and transmission oil changes and that's all I've had to do. Car is bone stock and been great!

Here my issue. Upon startup the car makes a “rattling” sound from the transmission area but after 4 or 5 minutes it goes away (warms up). I'm thinking it's the torque converter??? I do smell a “burnt” oil smell after the car has been driven. I changed out the transmission fluid and filter using my VAGCOM and the condition did't improve. I also didn’t’ find anything abnormal in the trany pan or inside the trany filter. I’m also throwing a torque converter malfunction lock up code. I clear the code but it always seems to come back? I’m also experiencing the TC staying lockup on occasion when cold and killing the motor when I engage into drive or reverse. The transmission never seems to miss a beat and shifts good at any speed. No slippage or shifting problems that I can feel.

I need some guru knowledge. Thanks in advance for your help.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
There's a member here called CoolAirVW who's a transmission guru. Might shoot him a PM in case he hasn't seen your thread. From what I've read on here, 267k is pretty much miraculous longevity for your transmission.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
No guru here but have heard numerious 01M auto trannies went self destruct at early age. Consider you got 267k miles before having problem and kept getting TC malfunction lock up code, might be a good time to take it in to a trusted mechanic to have a look. Check the Trusted Mechanic sticky and look for someone in your region.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'll let Richard (CoolAirVW) give you most of the advice but where I would start is by checking that the TC solenoid is operating correctly by manually operating it with VCDS.

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
I would start saving up for a replacement. Mine gave me:

00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
01192 - Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch
04-00 - Mechanical Malfunction

tried to change fluid and filter but it was too far gone already, totally neglected by previous owner, and looked like it was hit with the bash guard dented. Within 2 months it was totally shot and the TC would not lock. Drove 50mph at 3,500 rpm.

$4,500 later I was back on the road with a new one, just changed the ATF and diff oil at 80K miles, going forward I think I will change ATF at 50K hopefully it will last as long as yours did.

in short, I feel your pain.... good luck

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I second the CoolAirVW rcommendation; its been close to a month now.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
At 267k you did good, that trans doesn't owe you a thing!

As always, check the control side bits first, especially the round plug atop the trans for corrosion, bad connections, etc.

While it is possible the TC solenoid could be sticking, it is also quite possible the converter itself is failing. It could also be the wiring harness in the transmission, also quite common.

holechit

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
After conferring with CoolAirVw, I'm going to start with replacing the solenoid and see how things go? I'd like to see if I can limp this tranny by until July or so then do the 6 speed conversion. The solenoid may be a bit of a gamble perhaps but I think I'm going to give it a try.

holechit

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
I received my new TCC solenoid and removal tool from CoolAirVw. Thanks for the quick shipping.

I found some time yesterday to drop the trans pan and change out the TCC solenoid. I took the car for a 40 mile test drive and things have greatly improved. Smooth shifts and no locked up TC codes. So I believe the problem has been fixed but I will need to put put some miles on to make sure the code doesn't come back.

Thanks for all the support and great knowledge.
Tim

holechit

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Well the news is NOT good. I changed out the TCC solenoid and fluid/filter this past week hoping it would help my transmissions/TC problems but I still has issues.

When the car is cold everything is great but after 20 minutes or so of city driving the TC code comes back as does the rattling noises and poor shifts from the tranny. I think I'm going to give in and put in a new transmission. :( Maybe a manual swap?

Thoughts?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Check the round connector closely atop the transmission...check the trans wire harness closely, especially the ribbon part. If that all looks good, with no corrosion or messed up pins, then I think you'll need to install a 01M-300-032-GX. :(