VW Hydraulic oil???

ultrastevep

Veteran Member
TDI
None presently, have owned VW TDI's since my first in 2000
I was checking in my Haynes manual for different required fluids and the one specified for the Power Steering is VW Hydraulic oil...

Is there something else I can use for this or is it a specified fluid that I need to purchase at the stealership?

I'm used to a lifetime of using auto tranny fluid in the PS reservoir in my old American beaters....

Thanks,

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
it's power steering fluid for VWs!

Most people mail order it. I did purchase that can at "Foreign Auto Parts" here in Boston. I'm sure the dealer will sell it, too. IMPEX or Adirondack will have it as well.

You are NOT going to wander down to AutoZone and find this

You may also try it a MBz/BMW/RR/Bentley dealer...they use the same juice.

ultrastevep

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks....I'll have to order some. We don't have many good auto stores here in mega rural SWNH

ultrastevep

Veteran Member
TDI
I found some at a local place (Parts Plus), but they had to order it.

$28. a quart!!!!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Steve, the place in Iowa (lichty.com) had it for around $12/L...I don't know how urgent your need is.

ultrastevep

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, great price....it's incredible how one item can have such a price difference. My dipstick shows it to be a little low that I found on my weekend fluids check...I'd like to keep it up where it belongs.
Anyway, my wife emailed me and told me she got me some for $25., so I guess I pay double the price, but at least I have it.

Now I have to go home and check out the damage to my skid plate (OEM) after hitting that dead Porcupine this morning at 5AM. I could hear it scraping on bumps, so it must be dislodged...It's rough living in the sticks!

Thanks,

ultrastevep

Veteran Member
TDI
Well...as you know I got the $25. can of oil. Last night I went to check my PS pump and it needed less than an ounce! Guess I now have a lifetime supply for my two TDI's!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
My dealer has the little 500ml top-off bottles for about $8.
Hey, that's a great deal: $16 per liter from a dealer, WOW!!!

If I were you, I'd lay in a supply ASAP. Of course, a supply for one car would be one of those.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
Hey, that's a great deal: $16 per liter from a dealer, WOW!!!

If I were you, I'd lay in a supply ASAP. Of course, a supply for one car would be one of those.
I know, I'm lucky with my dealer (Ehrlich VW in Greeley, CO). Sales, Service, and Parts all know their stuff and are great to work with. I bought my last two cars from them. Their parts prices are usually about the same as Impex, esp. if you factor in the shipping.

I actually got my bottle for my last car, a Jetta. I used maybe 200ml to top off the PS reservoir, and never touched it again. I stashed the bottle in the little compartment where the CD changer goes in my new Golf, just in case!

tenban

TDI
2001 Jetta
Can someone post where to check this fluid...I cannot find it. When turning power steering has a weird sound...thought fluid may be low...would like to check. Did not want to go off on another tangent, but thought this thread was close to my current problem....THANKS!!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe the PS filler point is where I have placed the red arrow...it's adjacent to the coolant overflow bottle and fuel filter. I've never checked mine...probably should

Frank's dirty Golf engine compartment:

tenban

TDI
2001 Jetta
Cool...I thought that was it but it is not listed in the car manual so I was not sure...Thanks so much for your help!!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I will add that if you are getting funky PS noises when you turn the wheel, you'd be well-served to do a flush of the system...1/2L may be enough but a full litre is even better.

Once the fluid ages and the level drops a bit, the rack does seem to get noisy. I found this on our Passat and others have made the same observation. We were getting noise but the level was still in the "OK" range. I ordered a litre and suctioned out the old and filled, drove around the block and repeated this purge/fill process a couple of times 'til the fluid took on that pine green color again. The original fluid was severely dis-colored. After finishing, guess what !! No more noises

I'd label this as good "routine" maintainence as the car approches 100k miles - - just like flushing the man trans. fluid !

YMMV and HTH

ultrastevep

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, that's the place....It's hard to open, has a slot to put a screwdriver or something into it to get it started, but is soft plastic...so be careful opening it.

My car (2001 Golf) was also making a slight groaning noise when I turned the wheel. The fluid might have been down an ounce, maybe less and after filling it to the correct level the steering is quiet again. I never had to check my other TDI's for this and I had one for 115K. This tells me that there is a possible leak in the system that I'm going to check out this weekend.

You know that from now I'll check both of my TDI's, especially now that I have the liquid gold in possession