Anyone have a VCDS in Hawaii?

BioMomMobile

TDI
2005 Jetta
Aloha
I'm about to do the timing belt change on a new to us 2005 Jetta TDI. It seems one needs a VCDS to make sure the timing is correct once I change it out. I need to borrow/rent one..anyone on the Big Island that can help me out?
;)
Mahalo!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you can't find anyone you can always rent one.

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/vcds-hex-can-rental/

Also you are aware the timing belt should be done as a kit and requires special tools.

https://www.dieselgeek.com/collections/vw-tdi-timing-belt-kits

There are instructions here on how to do it and at myturbodiesel.com. It needs to be done properly or big trouble as this is an interference engine and the pistons will hit the valves. Lots to read here about your TB change and many, many other things you may/need want to know.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I need a vacation. Hawaii sounds like a warm paradise to what’s coming for us in the north east.

BioMomMobile

TDI
2005 Jetta
Mahalo for your responses.

Lightflyer1: Yep I was stoked that the belt kit I got from Kerma composed mostly of German parts and a Japanese belt. I also got the tool kit from Metalnerd. I will use the instructions from MoGolf and watched a couple youtube videos but I want to be able to check the timing before and after I do the belt so I know it's good. Thanks for the link..I'm considering just buying the darn thing as it seems to be an essential tool and could be handy to troubleshoot if we come across any problems when we start using biodiesel.

Tdijarhead: Do you work on your TDI's? If so, you can work-trade for staying in my Airbnb :)

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Wow thanks for the invite, I really wasn’t expecting something like that. Yes I do all my own work and I have vcds. I will be doing my own timing belt on my 05 Golf, probably in January sometime. I actually like doing the belts on these cars and have done about a dozen or so both alh and the bew like yours.

That sounds like a great deal but I’m afraid I can’t, work ties me down,I’ll have to suggest it to my wife though.

Vcds is a great investment for these cars, if you plan on doing your own work it’s essential.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Check any local VW clubs, the gassers use the same device. The other option is to rent one. Won't cost a bunch, cheap to mail, but most will want deposit to cover replacement. I believe they all have the license built into the device, but check.

I'd take you up on the AirBnB, haven't had a proper vacation in 6 years, but my KII-USB won't talk to your 2005.

BioMomMobile

TDI
2005 Jetta
Seems like the VW clubs around here are mostly into the retro Bugs and Things and Karmann Ghias. I'm just gonna get the HEX-V2 Enthusiast..$200 isn't so bad. It's the Windows based laptop that might be more expensive (we a Mac family)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There’s a way to run it on a Mac, virtual machine, bootcamp or bootstrap. Something like that, someone more knowledgeable on computers will chime in.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
virtualbox with the usb extension works fairly well, or parallel will do the trick.

I'd recommend picking up a lenovo t440p or similar though, more and more programs aren't being built for mac. Magnesium shell with heavy duty hinges and solid specs for around $250, slap a decent SSD in it (assume it doesn't come with one) and it will match a new laptops performance no problem. We mostly run this laptop at the shop since they're more or less water/drop proof. Most laptop hinges only last a few months on the dyno but these things hold up well and are easy to service.

BioMomMobile

TDI
2005 Jetta
I saw some videos on Youtube on how to run VCDS on Macs..worth looking into some more for sure. I just saw that on the Ross-tech website it specifically says that it won't run on Macs..There's a lot of savvy people out there tho

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It doesn't take much to run VCDS. Any used cheap windows machine will work. Discount computers here have all kinds of $99 laptops. I bought a new tablet with keyboard and windows 10 new for $98 from Best Buy. It shouldn't be much of an issue as you don't need a $1500 machine for this. Check RossTech site for specs needed. Probably find something on Craigslist for cheap too. Not like these things have much value after a few years use.

Last edited:

burned-out

TDI
2002 golf 5sp manual
Big Island Scanner

I'm on the Big Island also. I was going to purchase the stuff to do my 2002 Golf TDI.
I'd be happy to rent VCDS to you. I also have two HP laptops to run stuff.
Private message me, perhaps we can work something out.
I'm Hamakua side 40 or so miles from Hilo.
What is your time frame?
My time is now. I need to reset the Airbag light. I just removed and replaced
my seats and I can't turn the darn thing off with my
cheapie scan code software.
As you know we don't have a dealer on the big island anymore.
Aloha