DIY GLI/GTI steering wheel MFSW and paddle shifter install

F5air

TDI
Jetta mk6 tdi
Basically, this thread is about how easy is to install the GLI/GTI steering wheel with paddle shifters and make them work on almost any model of Jetta MK6 with DSG or triptronic auto transmission.

WARNING: this following information is provided as a general information based on my installation with a Jetta TDI 2013 DSG. I do not accept responsibility for this information, any personal losses or injuries suffered for this information. (just in case ;))

Lets start this. I was trying to see different options on my TDI, drove a GLI with paddle shifters and i was really interested to make a retrofit in my car with the GLI steering wheel. The options to change gears is really nice and makes me feel more under control of the car, of course just my persona feeling.

I will try to cover all the information about the install and paddle shifters enable, i do not know about the MFSW coding because my TDI had already right and left multifunctions options.

Parts Required:
-MK6 GTI or GLI steering wheel with DSG paddles and airbag. The only difference is the badge which you can remove it and install a R-Line one, etc. Airbags, steering wheel internally are exactly the same.
-If you buy a complete set (SW and Airbag) it should come with all the harness to complete the installation.

Tools required:
-Flat screwdriver (short one so you can remove the airbag and avoid any scratch on the cluster)
-M12 socket and wrench
-10mm socket

1. First thing to do is disconnect the battery, some people says just insert the key in the ignition to avoid steering wheel lock when your turn it.

2. Unhook the airbag from the steering wheel. You need to turn the SW 90deg to the left or right to release the metal loops on the airbag which is hooked around the tab on the steering wheel. This is the hard part and the first time but you can try first with the NEW steering wheel so you will figure out what to do with your stock SW. Dont be afraid to pull the airbag towards you it will not explode or something like that, just start gently. When you release the loop on one side, the other side will be more easy to do. Disconnect this harness

3. Use the M12 to remove the center bolt. Hold your SW with one hand and turn wrench with the other one. You have to be sure about the center mark on the SW and the one on the SW column. DO NOT turn the plastic harness disc because it has exactly 3 turns each direction.

F5air

TDI
Jetta mk6 tdi
4. Install the new GLI/GTI steering wheel, be sure to check the marks like stage 3. In my case i installed exactly like my stock one, but i discovered later that the new SW was a bit of to the right. I removed it and move one step to the right and now the SW is perfect at 180 deg. You will find that the only difference between the 2 SW is the green/white wires coming from each side, i believe those are the paddle shifters connectors.

5. Install the airbag, connect all the harness back, and press gently so you will hear the clips going in the tab of the SW.

6. Connect back the battery so we can make some coding.

a. Go to steering wheel on the vag com.

b. press the long coding helper

c. 3) 8A, 4) bit 4. Check the "steering wheel with tiptronic buttons installed.

d. lets do it! and you will see a coding accepted confirmation window.

e. after i did all this, i did a full scan and erase any codes.

You are done. Enjoy your car with Paddle shifters. We did exactly the same thing on my friends 2.5 jetta, he has triptronic automatic tranny and the paddre shifters works perfect too. I cant be sure about all the automatic models.

Hope this DIY helps to anyone who wants to install a SW with paddle shifters.:thumbup:

F5air

TDI
Jetta mk6 tdi
honestly, love this SW. this is my second week with it and is one of the best mods i made on this car. I can shift about 1500-1700 range and seen much better mpg´s than normal "D" driving.
Im out of the town and will make my trip back so i can compare my fuel economy using paddle shiftings.

F5air

TDI
Jetta mk6 tdi
lol, depending of how much is cheap for you, i can get some of this SW new oem from the factory.

F5air

TDI
Jetta mk6 tdi
I got a few steering wheels from a vw parts supplier. From what i know the production ended so it will be a bit more difficult to get now. Pm if you are interested in one.

klarowe

TDI
2013 Touareg Sport, 2014 Passat SEL
Do you need to buy the wheel with the airbag or will the original airbag install into the new wheel?

F5air

TDI
Jetta mk6 tdi
The airbag of the steering wheel is different, also the guy who sells me the gli just have the SW with airbags.

03mk5tdi

TDI
03 jetta tdi
i just took my old steering wheel off and put it back on becuase i had to get to the ignition lock. when i put it back oni tightened the wheel bolt and used the steering wheel lock to hold it in place. i lined up the marks on the shaft and the wheel but now it seems like my allignment is off. it was good before i did this so i know its good but after tightening the bolt it seems to be off?

anybody know why or can point me in the right direction?

67blackcherry

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon
Hello
Proud new owner of a 2014 Jetta Sportwagon - love this mod, have a few newby questions....
What is the coding software needed?

Last edited:

salad

TDI
2011 JSW, 2012 Q7
Thanks - got another question...
The wires from the paddles, what did you hook those up to?
Looks like they get plugged into the board that's in the steering wheel. The connectors may not be there and you'd need to solder new connectors ( http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=hr2059-nd ). More info about that - https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5562743-Paddle-shifter-MFSW-install-in-2012-JSW-TDI-DSG

-:vw:-

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 SportWagen
I have a few questions. What is the part number of the wheel? To clarify our current airbags will NOT fit into the new wheel? To shift with the paddles do you need to put the shifter into manual mode or can you used the paddles any time in "D" or "S"?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Wonder what, if any, changes occurred for the 2015s. I'd be interested in the SW swap for my 2015 Passat w/DSG.