A LA area drive.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
Anyone up for a TDI style drive on a weekend?

I was thinking of putting together a weekend drive. Departing Santa Clarita early AM, running up San Frisquito canyon, hooking up to the 138, cutting accross to Frazier park, down to the 166 towards Santa Maria, hang a right on a small little side road that heads into the Santa Yanez valley and hitting a few wineries and then coming down the 154 to the 101. I tend to drive fast but this not going to be a speed thing and we can schedule stops for people to catch up.

I am open to suggests on stops, places of interest, or alternate routes.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
Not that I don't mind if gassers come, I just ran the inverse of this run without the San Frisquito canyon drive and it took dang near a half a tank. (3/4 to 1/4). Once we leave Frazier Park area there is only 1 station between there and Solvang and that station was $3. I'm not trying to talk you out of it just giving you a heads up.

Lets see if there is anyother interest. I'm thinking of posting this in the Socal section on Vortex but I don't think I will get many takers.

As for time frame I'm kind of looking for the weekend of the 30th but am not opposed to the 23rd or any other weekend but this coming one but I can make it available if I get a few that want to do it this weekend.

Puebla

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 TDI GT25, PP520'S, FMIC, STAGE 5 SOFTWARE
I really don't mind.

If I can go in my Scirocco, I'd like to, I think an extra gas tank (5 gallon) would get me through it.

Puebla

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 TDI GT25, PP520'S, FMIC, STAGE 5 SOFTWARE
Wow! That is quite a trip! How many miles? Are you planning on going at it in one pull? That is, one way, non-stop?

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
Over 200 and people wonder how I got 150K on a 2002 car. Maybe that is too ambitious, I think the important thing is to schedule something. It's been too long since something has happend down here.

As an alterative we can turn at Cuyame River and follow that up and take the cut off back to Frazier Park. The road along the river is a little boring and sees hardly any traffic. The rest of the Frazier park loop is pretty fun and has some nice scenery.

We can't drop down into Ojai because the highway 33 is closed but that highway is fun too. Normally I would go around the closure signs but when they are actually paying a CHP to sit there, I imagine it's pretty bad.

Guys I'm open to pretty much anything! Jump on in and make comments.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Hahahha! You guys who do not know him (eetsoot), be prepared to DRIVE! The guy wakes up in the morning and comes from LA to SFBA, then goes for a "drive" in our mountains and then goeas back home!!!! The drive he planned this time is nothing for him, LOL!

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
Actually this T-Belt thing in Ukaiha was brutal. It was a 26 hour day. All I know is I felt sorry for Pete. Slaveving away all day doing 6 belts and then doing a 12 hour drive back to Idaho. A true iron man.

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
This is the guy who drove to the Seattle GTG from Southern California. There were hundreds of pictures taken in Seattle of his California EETSOOT plate all over this site that day. He was back in Southern California the next day! At Doyle Parnell GTG I collapsed half way back from Point Arena, not Gary.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Yeah, we leaft Seattle in the morning, after a fantastic breakfast at Heinz's place and by the evneing we were in the SFBA..... it was like 23.00 and he continued all the way to LA!

As for Pete, I do not know who was more exhausted, him for doing 6 belts or you Gary for being in between him and the engine bays! That is not easy either! LOL

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
That didn't happen too much this time. I got there late. I was also busy trying on Passat and a diesel van. I also was drooling over a completely restored 68 Porsche.

I was impressed with the number of cars Steve had.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Hey, you never told me what do you think about the Passat TDI? How did you like it? Are we going to see you in one soon?

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
I like the size. But I didn't get to drive it. I think I'll wait for the new generation. I'm hoping the new generation will come with the 4 valve motor. If not then when the new ones come hopefully the b5s will take a hit on prices.

Besides, I'm very happy with my lowly Jetta, even though a white Passat wagon with blacked out windows is calling to me.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
Well haz no one jumped in on this. When is a good time for you? Are you comfortable with the Frazier Park loop? Once we settle on a date I will post on Vortex and see if we can get a few more.

Happy B-day to both of you. I can't remember if I got the birthday cake on birthday. Mine was 3-14.

Bogstomper, how is smoke with your A3 and RC2? I have heard you are very happy with it but what is the smoke like with it? I haven't driven behind you since you've upgraded. I'm asking because I know a few A3 people that want to upgrade but don't like smoke.

bogstomper

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2004, Blue Graphite
Gary, I like the RC2 a lot, much smoother power than the upsolute for me. I have the IQ at 5 right now and there is some smoke but not worthy of a ticket yet (lol) like Peter C.
I am going to increase the IQ to 6 just to see what it's like, I am looking for that sweet spot.....
I would recommend that your buddies try it out, they won't be disappointed. Jeff from RC recommends the 205 injectors with it for an A3, not so sure about the A4. I am still using the PP520s and everything is great. I had to replace the pressure hose to the intake manifold as it was forcing me into limp mode and ever since I replaced it the car is a torque machine which leads me to think that the tear in the hose was increasing for a long time. The increase in boost certainly suggests that, so much so that I can spin the tires in 1st no problem now...