Bluetooth was great for a month....

axg1040

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
2010 Jetta TDI sedan. 10/09 build date and purchased about a month ago.
The bluetooth worked great from the start with our Iphones until this week. Wife was driving and was on a call and heard a pop in the speakers and the call dropped. She called the person back and talked for some time and then another pop and the call dropped. She then just used the phone itself to finish the call. The next day the phone would not sync up with the bluetooth in the car. Reset the phone and now the bluetooth does not even show up on either her phone or if I try my phone. If you press the voice command button on the steering wheel you get nothing. Checked the phone fuse under the hood and it is fine. Checked all connections under the passenger seat and all is good there. It appears it just died. I tried a search on this site and on Google and it does not appear this has happened to anybody. I am hoping when I bring it to the dealer it will simply just need a new module. Kind of a bummer as we have had this only about a month....but the that is what the warranty is for. Any other DIY ideas?? Would it be a bad idea to unplug the module, cycle the key, plug it back in to see if it resets?
Thanks.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Are you running the 9W3 or 9W2? I don't think it could hurt to unplug the module and cycle it.

axg1040

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
fleuger99 said:
Are you running the 9W3 or 9W2? I don't think it could hurt to unplug the module and cycle it.
I assume the 9w2 as I do not have the phone option in the MFI and can't stream bluetooth music. For the life of me I could not find any part # or sticker on the module under the seat.
I will try and cycle it tonight when I get home and see what happens.
Just seems odd the bluetooth will not show up on any phone when the key is turned on. That is the only reason I think the module is dead.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Sedans have 9W3, it just isn't coded for the MFI. 9W2 can stream audio, 9W3 can't.

l3it3r

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TDI Sportwagen
I just got my wife an iPhone 3GS and the BT module in the phone is rubbish. I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 and my phone calls and stereo audio sound INCREDIBLE.. hers have crackles, hissing and connection issues.. honestly, I vote phone.

axg1040

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
l3it3r said:
I just got my wife an iPhone 3GS and the BT module in the phone is rubbish. I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 and my phone calls and stereo audio sound INCREDIBLE.. hers have crackles, hissing and connection issues.. honestly, I vote phone.
I thought the same thing at first but I took both Iphones and paired them up no problem with other bluetooth devices to just check. Before it stopped working the calls were crystal clear and had no issues with the system at all.
Basically the bluetooth in the car is now invisble and does not show up when trying to either use it or pair it up. I really think it is dead as the voice activation button on the steering wheel does nothing now...no beep...no voice prompt...nothing.
I plan on taking my work cell phone home and see if it will pair up.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
l3it3r said:
I have a iPhone 3GS and it works perfectly with both my 9W2 and now with the 9W3 upgrade I did. It connects easily, even ten minutes into my drive and people tell me it sounds clear. Might be the phone.

axg1040

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Ok....got home and tested the car with another phone (non Iphone) and the bluetooth is still not visible when searching for it via the phone. Pulled the connector out of the module under the seat and cycled the ignition and then plugged it back in....still nothing.
Guess it is off to the dealer. Strange that this has not happened to anybody else. I will report back once the dealer has checked into it.

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Gold JSW TDI 6M (build date 23Feb10)
I have the JSW so the 9W2 module I presume. My bluetooth died on the first phone call on the first day of having the car. Mid call (the quality was awesome by the way) a loud squeal (feedback like) happened and I had to disconnect the call. The phone is still linked and makes and receives calls but I can't hear anything and the other end does not hear anything either.

For your problem ... do you have a green light indicating it is linked? If not you may need to re-pair. I am sure you probably tried this already but thought I would offer that thought.

Other than this minor issue for me, I couldn't be happier with the car. 300 miles so far and overall fuel mileage is at 39 and my commute averages 42 mpg. I am wondering if this is summer fuel in NJ at this point. This car rocks!!!! I look forward to waking up in the morning and going for that ride into work.

Marlyece

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG
bluetooth connection drops periodically

the first 4-5 months I had my new Golf with 9w2 and the bluetooth synched flawlessy with our iPhone and Samsung Magnet, now it tends to drop both devices on a weekly basis and we end up having to resync them again. anyone else experience this problem? any suggestions? we end up deleting the connection from our phones and then resynching again. it seems to hold for about a week.

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
flylow2 said:
I have the JSW so the 9W2 module I presume. My bluetooth died on the first phone call on the first day of having the car. Mid call (the quality was awesome by the way) a loud squeal (feedback like) happened and I had to disconnect the call. The phone is still linked and makes and receives calls but I can't hear anything and the other end does not hear anything either.

For your problem ... do you have a green light indicating it is linked? If not you may need to re-pair. I am sure you probably tried this already but thought I would offer that thought.

Other than this minor issue for me, I couldn't be happier with the car. 300 miles so far and overall fuel mileage is at 39 and my commute averages 42 mpg. I am wondering if this is summer fuel in NJ at this point. This car rocks!!!! I look forward to waking up in the morning and going for that ride into work.
I spent 4 hours at the dealer today while they were troubleshooting (including tech conversations with VW). The finally came up with the phone module as NG and replaced it with another one from a new car in the lot. I had one phone call and it works. The BT indicator light is dead though but the phone had no trouble in syncing.

Gowens

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportswagen - multi steer- RNS-510 nav
If your BT indicator light is not working then it may be a 9W3 module they put in your JWS. You may have gotten a free upgrade. Look on the label on the module under your front passenger seat and see if it is a 1Z0-035-729C. That is a 9W3.

axg1040

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Still have not had a chance to take it to the dealer. Been traveling with work.
It has yet to work since it stopped working. I plan to get it in next week.
I also do not have the bluetooth light in my 2010 overhead console. Is that how it is set up on the 2009?

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
Gowens said:
If your BT indicator light is not working then it may be a 9W3 module they put in your JWS. You may have gotten a free upgrade. Look on the label on the module under your front passenger seat and see if it is a 1Z0-035-729C. That is a 9W3.
I don't see anything but some black stryofoam. It does seem that there are some electronics under there but I can't quite figure out what and how to access it.

doug25

TDI
none yet
axg1040 said:
Ok....got home and tested the car with another phone (non Iphone) and the bluetooth is still not visible when searching for it via the phone. Pulled the connector out of the module under the seat and cycled the ignition and then plugged it back in....still nothing.
Guess it is off to the dealer. Strange that this has not happened to anybody else. I will report back once the dealer has checked into it.
axg1040: Have you heard from the dealer as to what the issue was?

I have had my '10 JSW for five days and today my BT wouldn't sync. I tried to re-sync it several times. The green BT indicator light won't light up either.
Too bad, it worked well when it was functioning.

yellajacket20

TDI
Jetta
Marlyece said:
the first 4-5 months I had my new Golf with 9w2 and the bluetooth synched flawlessy with our iPhone and Samsung Magnet, now it tends to drop both devices on a weekly basis and we end up having to resync them again. anyone else experience this problem? any suggestions? we end up deleting the connection from our phones and then resynching again. it seems to hold for about a week.
I have this same problem with my 2010 sedan. Sometimes the connection is perfect and will initiate as soon as I turn the car on. Other times, it won't connect on its own. Even worse, mid call, the connection will drop. I think I'm going to take it in and have it checked out.

Sgt. Schultz

TDI
'10 JSW DSG
Bump

axg1040: Have you heard from the dealer as to what the issue was?

This just happened to me and I was hoping there was a quick fix.