Possible Mechanic/Dealer Scam?

Southland

TDI
2002 Jetta
A relative took his 09 TDI SportWagen with 99k miles to the dealer for a code light.
They said he needed all new EGR, DPF, two cat. converts, etc. for a cost of 6500.
I plugged in my Scangauge and the only code was B2AAA witch I cleared and has not returned.
He says the car runs fine with normal power and fuel mileage.
I can do maint. for him but my thoughts are to leave it alone unless the code light returns.
I know what I am calling his trip to the dealer but would like to hear additional thoughts.
Thanks

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Scam. You are too nice. I can think of a lot of other 4 letter words to use in relation to that dealer's 'service', but they are not to be used in polite company nor civilized society.

I suppose that the term service in this can be considered in the same context as what a prostitute does when she services her clients, since apparently the dealer is doing the same thing to their clients. I only wonder if the clients got a kiss first.

Padrino

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 / Golf 1.9 TDI 5-speed
First rule of owning VW TDI in the US, never, ever go to a dealer UNLESS is warranty recall...period.
My car is coming 10 years old, been to a dealer ONCE.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
A relative took his 09 TDI SportWagen with 99k miles to the dealer for a code light.
They said he needed all new EGR, DPF, two cat. converts, etc. for a cost of 6500.
I plugged in my Scangauge and the only code was B2AAA witch I cleared and has not returned.
He says the car runs fine with normal power and fuel mileage.
I can do maint. for him but my thoughts are to leave it alone unless the code light returns.
I know what I am calling his trip to the dealer but would like to hear additional thoughts.
Thanks
That dealer wouldn't happen of to been Gossett would it?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Wow - you just got taken for $6500. I sure hope you didn't pay the bill! Did you authorize the work before it was performed?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Do tell. If the code is as bogus as it sounds, the public needs to be protected from thieves like these.

I went to the RossTech WIKI and searched for the code "B2AAA" and that code does not exist on their web site. A Google search netted no tangible results for the code either. Who knows, maybe the code means the battery in the hand held scanner they used needs to be replaced.

Two things to do first before doing what I suggest below:
  • Make absolutely sure that the fault code and their diagnosis is in fact bogus.
  • DO NOT accuse them of being thieves. They might litigate for slander.

If I was your relative, I would be inclined to take a Saturday or 3 and park in front of that business with a sign that says something like "Ask me why you should not have service work done here". When people ask why, your relative would show folks the estimate from the dealer. That is if your relative got a printed estimate showing the code and the diagnosis.

Last edited:

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I would call VW Corporate and report them for what its worth with a copy of the bill.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would call VW Corporate and report them for what its worth with a copy of the bill.
It does sound like the owner declined the service recommendations.

If the owner absolutely has his ducks in a row, I would call VW corporate to complain and also ask them for a good reason for not going to one of the local TV news trouble shooters..............

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
Reading the original post, it sounds like NO work was performed, the OP himself produced the non-existent B2aaa code, and it looks like he won't have to mail corporate or park in front of the dealership on weekends. All's well etc........

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
I'd be happy to scan it if you dont have vag com, if ever needed again. Ive never heard of that code or been able to find anything on it either.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
i to hav notised that.

Isn't all emissions equipment warranted for five years under Federal law anyway?

Would be fun to let them do the work then remind them of that when picking up the car. Unfortunately that would mean letting them apply tools to it.

Southland

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks for the feedback.
No work has been done but he called this morning that the code light was on again.
He is going to bring the car out and I will clean the EGR. Says if that does not correct things, he will trade but I would hope it is with a different dealer.
Logan, you guessed the dealer.
The B2AAA must be a bogus/software glitch. Can't seem to get any firm info on it. All the codes I have ever seen start with "P".
I'll also look up any info on the emissions having an extended warranty.
Bet VW is trying to cover themself on that.
Again, many thanks
Jerry

Southland

TDI
2002 Jetta
Did some reading on emission extended warranty.
Warranty is for 8 years or 80k miles. Car in question has 99k.
As I understand it, the warranty would (may) come into play if the engine light comes on or it fails inspection. They do give the car co. some wiggle room.
Anyway, learned something I did know.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Scangauge may not read codes,especially if it's an older model scangauge.I bought mine back in 06/07 ,and it wouldn't read an 09 Dodge w/ Cummins,and when I plugged it into someone I know 09 JSW TDI,it would read 1 code and other was all 0's. I cleared it and light went off,but told me it came back on a few days later.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Here is where a GURU comes int play. FIND one. Also get a real Vag Com VCDS scan of the car throwing "stuff" out there does not help these forums or the owner.

Southland

TDI
2002 Jetta
Here is where a GURU comes int play. FIND one. Also get a real Vag Com VCDS scan of the car throwing "stuff" out there does not help these forums or the owner.
As someone that just joined the forum I felt and feel that the question is/was valid. Since I own four diesel powered vehicles that have never been back to a dealer, (do all my own work) I have no way of knowing if the quote was in line or if he was about to be ripped.
Your post/reply to me was totally out of place in my opinion.
I realize most public web sites have a member or two that hide behind the keyboard and try control things. Just my luck of the draw I guss.
If you are in fact the "high sheriff" here and feel that I have invaded your personal web site, a thousand pardons and I will just take my happy azz down the road.
To all others that replyed, thanks.............................

Airstream

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta; 2010 JSW
Logan, you guessed the dealer.

These guys are real slick. They smiled at me and acted like they were on my side while refusing to take care of my rusty fender under warranty. Said it was due to a rock chip....:mad:

If this was false, it would be an all time low.

williamgd2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
My scangauge gives me that code B2AAA It is a trouble code for something in the body But what I don't know. It doesn't come up with my vcds so it could be a gremlin code.

Rob02f350

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Black jetta, 5 speed. 2000 white jetta 5 speed w/100K less miles
Everyone thinks the dealers full of dookie... well they probably are..
But, at my work on TT trucks, i have seen and needed to replace the EGR cooler, Valve, DOC, DPF.

Cummins ISX CM871, egr cooler failed, filling the egr system with sooty coolant, causing the egr valve to stick open. and a constant mix going into the intake. partially burning and exiting going into the DOC.. wich became face plugged, and from it trying to do active regens, keeping the turbo spooled up causes more exhaust back pressure... more egr flow.. more plugging in the system..

BUTTTTTTTTTT The driver drove it for 2 weeks. using 2-3 gallons of coolant a day.. yes.. 28 gallons minimum he "topped off" the coolant before bringing it in.

that was an expensive day for that guy.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well, sure. but the OP's relative took his car to a dealer for a non emission related DTC and the dealer tried to gouge him for $6500 for bunch of stuff that should have set a slew of engine DTC's and caused some drivability issues.

Of course nobody scanned with an actual VCDS so we may not have the full story. If the only code that was set was a B-code and there was no evidence of anything malfunctioning then that dealer, in this instance at least, certainly is a stealer and should loose their VW dealership status.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I know this thread is QUITE old but I got the B2AAA code in my 09 Jetta TDI and my search brought me here. I didn't have my VCDS (or admittedly, I wouldn't have even looked at the code on my Scangauge II at all) with me but when I got home, I did check and the only fault returned was

1 Fault Found:
001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 000 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent

Now I actually tried to clear the code with VCDS after saving the log and oddly enough, I couldn't clear it with VCDS. I ended up having to clear it with the Scangauge II which was crazy but worked.

I'll keep an eye and see if I get this code back. It's the first time I have ever seen it, I've been tuned for about 40k miles I think so it was extra strange to see this. Maybe it's just a prelude to DFP delete....

So just to recap, I don't think the code is a glitch or fake but the dealers quote for work, way back then (if this was the only thing found) was definitely suspect.

I've owned VW TDI's for the last 9yr and have learned to NEVER trust generic codes from Scangauge II or any other scanner that can't tell you exactly what is going on and ALWAYS be suspect of dealer network unless you actually know the Service and Tech's that work on the cars. Not all dealers are crooks, do bad work or charge for extra services but I only go in if recall work needs to be done and know the actual people.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
P0401 does equal new DPF and EGR filter if there is sooting on the exhaust. Cost should be about 1/3rd the 6000 dollar quote.

I started a thread on this in the MKVI forum