AD Blue

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Tip...if you find truck stop or gas station that has DEF pump at the island, it will usually cost about $5...
Pumps charge about $2.29 a gallon for DEF.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I just add a 2.5 gal. jug when I do the 10K oil change. On our (unfixed) 2013, I think that'll keep it topped up, from what I've read. For the 2015s, that may be another question, and I think it's reasonable from what I've read about it that all the fixed Gen 2 and Gen 3 cars are going to be using more....but it'll probably be a while before it'll be possible to get a handle on an average consumption.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
My 2015 Passat uses about 2 gal for about every 11 K miles. When the "Add AdBlue" message comes on, I just add 2 gallons.

Why top it off? It is not a gas tank. This way, I always have fresh AdBlue in the tank, don't spill any extra fluid, and don't have to store any partial bottles of AdBlue.

The 1500 miles warning gives me plenty of time to go to Walmart and pick up a 2 gallon jug.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I did an extrapolation calculation of usage on mine (2015 Phase 1 fixed new old stock) based on some early topping off. Mine looks to be on pace to use ~1.67 gal per 10k miles.

My driving is nearly 100% highway. I don't use the car for short trips. It's regenerating every 250 miles like clockwork as well.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Tip...if you find truck stop or gas station that has DEF pump at the island, it will usually cost about $5...
Pumps charge about $2.29 a gallon for DEF.
Just to clarify. You need to bring your own container, you do not fill the DEF tank from the pump.

As has been mentioned by a couple of others, I also use about 1 liter ( 1 quart) per 1,600km (1,000 miles).

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
My 2015 Passat uses about 2 gal for about every 11 K miles. When the "Add AdBlue" message comes on, I just add 2 gallons.

Why top it off? It is not a gas tank. This way, I always have fresh AdBlue in the tank, don't spill any extra fluid, and don't have to store any partial bottles of AdBlue.

The 1500 miles warning gives me plenty of time to go to Walmart and pick up a 2 gallon jug.
And I add mine when I change oil, works out about the same. To each his own, so long as the SCR system gets fed.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Just to clarify. You need to bring your own container, you do not fill the DEF tank from the pump.

As has been mentioned by a couple of others, I also use about 1 liter ( 1 quart) per 1,600km (1,000 miles).
No...
Straight into the tank.
NO CONTAINER NEEDED.
Just hold a clean rag over the end of the hose as you lower it and lift it to prevent drips.
Then fill away.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Just don't try and brim it to the top, its gotta be hard to hear and see when you're getting close.

I believe when the warning comes you can fill with 4-5 gallons, pay for 3-4 gallons and call it good.

That being said, I've always brought my own container, used jugs, as I'm rarely driving the wife's car buy a truck stop when it's needed.