TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Congrats. Fabulous car. I really love mine. I've gotten mid 40s mpg driving between Boston and Philly on I95. Pretty good for that much luxury and power. Driving around Boston commuting to work I still get lower 30s. Pretty close to a Toyota Corolla I just picked up for the kids!

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Loving my 328D
Ditto. Love the power, the balanced chassis, and the great fuel economy. It's equaling if not exceeding what I got on my 2011 Jetta TDI, but with more power and at higher highways speeds.

Things I don't like: higher service costs. Thankfully the 328d has pretty easy DIY oil changes.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Ditto. Love the power, the balanced chassis, and the great fuel economy. It's equaling if not exceeding what I got on my 2011 Jetta TDI, but with more power and at higher highways speeds.
Things I don't like: higher service costs. Thankfully the 328d has pretty easy DIY oil changes.
Yes I know .....I purchased an extended service plan and I am covered through 2020

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
First tank update - 35.4 mpg according to pencil and paper. But take it with a grain of salt - the dealer filled the tank so not sure how full it was, plus we sat and idled for the better part of an hour during the delivery process while I learned about idrive etc.

I feel like I can probably crack 40 if I'm careful and keep out of Sport mode. Stay tuned. :)

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
I feel like I can probably crack 40 if I'm careful and keep out of Sport mode. Stay tuned. :)
40mpg is definitely possible if you don't have to drive in a lot of stop and go driving. In my daily driving I'm getting pretty much exactly what I got in my MKVI Golf (~42mpg). Over long highway trips I get a good bit better mileage in the 328d.

Overall I'm very impressed with the performance/efficiency ratio of the 328d. I expected to get worse mileage than the Golf, but that hasn't been the case.

Edit: Just saw you got a 535d, nevermind! Totally different beast. 35mpg is pretty good for a car/engine that size.

Last edited:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
My 335d has been right at 36mpg over the past 25k miles with stage 2 tune. I recently drove my Malone tuned B5.5 5 speed converted car for a couple of weeks to make sure its ready to sell and while I got 44 mpg over the 1400 miles, it further reinforced why I migrated all of our daily drivers at my house to the BMW brand.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
I have the following M57 335d engine parts for sale. PM me with questions, or for pics.

1 LP Hybrid Turbo - rated up to 500 whp and 700 wtq. This Turbo has 500 miles actual install and run time.

1 M57 Head as well as OEM lifters and springs

1 Set of stock Turbos (HP and LP - 70k)

Stock Exhaust Manifold

1 Down Pipe

Complete set of OEM Pistons and Rods (70k on them)

Stock Air box

OEM (Base) head unit, non-nav/iDrive

I have a box of 'other various parts' that you may need - PM me and I'll look to see if i have the part needed.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
I took delivery of my 2017 F31 328d M Sport M Performance mid July. So for I put 14xxxKM on the car. From the first fill I have been using OptiLube summer blend (green). My tank average with 80% hwy driving have been 5.6 L/100 KM. I can get under 5 L/100 km cruising SB on HWY 400 at 125km/h. I love this car! The only issue I have is the ****ty steering feel, I feel like I'm fighting contently to keep the car straight on the HWY (very sloppy with too much free play). Its improves if I put it in sport mode and select chassis (shouldn't have to)...

Last edited:

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
The only issue I have is the ****ty steering feel, I feel like I'm fighting contently to keep the car straight on the HWY (very sloppy with too much free play). Its improves if I put it in sport mode and select chassis (shouldn't have to)...

I have very little on center feel (making it difficult to stay straight), but there is absolutely no play in the wheel at all. Also, moving to sport shouldn't affect play in the wheel as the sport mode just adds fake "resistance" to the wheel making it feel heavier. If you really do have play in your wheel I'd take it back to the dealership, or perhaps an alignment is necessary..

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
I have very little on center feel (making it difficult to stay straight), but there is absolutely no play in the wheel at all. Also, moving to sport shouldn't affect play in the wheel as the sport mode just adds fake "resistance" to the wheel making it feel heavier. If you really do have play in your wheel I'd take it back to the dealership, or perhaps an alignment is necessary..
I think free play was the wrong term. Yes sport mode creates more resistance, thus its easier to keep the car centered in the lane, due to the wheel not able to move as easy.

Any mod for permanent sport steering only? Fuse?

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
I think free play was the wrong term. Yes sport mode creates more resistance, thus its easier to keep the car centered in the lane, due to the wheel not able to move as easy.

What tires are on the car? Runflats are famous for driving like crap.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
I have had them on every VW TDI and my Hybrid Jetta except my 15 Jetta which has blind spot monitoring! wish I have this on my 328d but it doesn't however these Asphirical mirrors are Great and we're play and play! Love these! My 328D is highly optioned however it does not have Blind Spot and lane departure....
I swapped my N/A mirrors to the euro convex ones. Huge difference! I too have BSM.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d

As far as I know you cannot code the car to start in Sport mode (you can code it to start in either Eco Pro or Comfort). But, there may be some coding that will change the steering resistance in either Comfort or Eco Pro...

Edit: It appears that this is possible:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1086229

Last edited:

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
finally found a PB alternative file host site. Here are some pics. Let me know what you guys think.
MOD LIST:
CF Replacement Mirror Covers
Euro Mirrors
35% Ceramic Tint
Clear bra full: Front bumper, front fenders, hood, A-pillar, side mirrors, headlights and partial front roof.
Ceramic Pro Gold application
Painted Calipers
CF Grille
M Performance CF vinyl on side skirt
CF "328d" rear badge

Last edited by a moderator:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Your pictures are HUGE! But that is a really really nice diesel wagon so I forgive you. The carbon fiber trim bits don't do much for me.....but wow that car is HOT. The F31 wagons are really growing on me.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Your pictures are HUGE! But that is a really really nice diesel wagon so I forgive you. The carbon fiber trim bits don't do much for me.....but wow that car is HOT. The F31 wagons are really growing on me.
Agreed on all accounts. Those pics are making this page impossible to read...

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Hypermile you asked what readers think, well I think you could do us all a favor and resize those pics. You basically ruined trying to read any posts on the thread until it kicks over to another page.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Agreed on all accounts. Those pics are making this page impossible to read...
Hypermile you asked what readers think, well I think you could do us all a favor and resize those pics. You basically ruined trying to read any posts on the thread until it kicks over to another page.
Hypermile you asked what readers think, well I think you could do us all a favor and resize those pics.
All of that ^ ...

Hypermile; I put you on ignore so I could read this page, seriously. Those pictures are too large to even be bothered with...

If you are set to 100 posts per page like me; that means we need another 27 posts to get off this page...

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'm actually considering a BMW 335D for a fun car... I mean DAT TORQUE had me from the first squirt of the throttle peddle :D

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Sooo....what sort of high mileage numbers are you 238d owners seeing and what sorts of issues are you seeing?

Love my GSW but have been itching for a 328D wagon for years......

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Not in any hurry about the 328d. But I just found this secret page. (wondering why it is super wide?) Is that a secret?

Anyway, any feed back on these nice looking wagons? any "secret" concerns? information is needed, but not in a hurry. Tried getting info. on google but it is all over the board. Is it safe to buy high milage wagons like the TDI? (meaning over 100,000) not that I will, because a lot of the wagons on line are 50k +.

Here is my thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=482880

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Jeez, we still have some big photos here.

Filled the 335d today. This tank was almost all highway, mostly with the cruise set at 78, but including some runs to extra-legal speeds because it's so much fun.

538 miles, 14.4 gallons. 37.4 MPG. I think that's impressive for a car this powerful.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
... some runs to extra-legal speeds because it's so much fun.

Its almost scary how hard they pull and keep pulling. I was passing on a 2 lane last week in BFE and it was nearly instant going from 60 to 130 :eek:

I was passing a semi and I accelerated to well beyond triple digits just in the distance it took to pass it.

They just keep pulling with no end in sight. Too bad we don't have an autobahn here :p