AdBlue ?

turbodan62

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Rabit TDI
vw spec's iso 22241-1 adblue i bought some that ae maked iso 22241 missing the last . does it mke a diffeence ?? tdan:confused:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
DEF is DEF is DEF. find the local place that sells it for the cheapest indifferent of name brand and motor on.

Last 2.5 cube I bought was from o'rillieys for $9 or $10. The included spout fit in the Passat filler and entire jug fit no issues we had low DEF light on at 15K since dealer fill.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Go to truck stop and get it for $2 a gallon at the pump.

Depending on your area and density of truck stops. I'd call the truck stop first to see if their DEF pump is working, drove a few miles out of my way only to be let down by a broken pump. I also wasn't swayed by their killer sale price of $20 for 2.5 gal cubes they were kind enough to offer me.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I too looked up a spot to use the pump only to find they don't actually have a pump. Went to Walmart and bought 2 cubes. No issues and 5 or so minutes to fill tank.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Depending on your area and density of truck stops. I'd call the truck stop first to see if their DEF pump is working, drove a few miles out of my way only to be let down by a broken pump. I also wasn't swayed by their killer sale price of $20 for 2.5 gal cubes they were kind enough to offer me.
Sounds like a scam. "Our pump is broken, buy this expensive stuff instead."

Truckers probably have no choice sometimes. It's easier to just pay the ripoff price than to drive an 18 wheeler around looking for a deal on DEF.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not everything is a scam or conspiracy. Sometimes the simple truth is at play as well. If the pump was broken offering what they had wasn't unusual either. I doubt semis fill using the cubes much.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A scam prob not, but they prob also aren't in a rush to repair it, seemed like it was down for a while.

This is also the same station that is a solid 10-15 cents higher for diesel than any other station non trucking station. Mainly because they cater to the big rigs with scales bathrooms and a conveniently if the truckers stop there, they bypass the only toll booths on 93 in Hooksett.

From what I read DEF tanks for truckers are only good for about 4 fill ups (of fuel).

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For a 5 gal tank, I'd think it'd be a pain, no wonder glider business is booming.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
5 gallons is only 2 cubes. That is what I put in my Beetle recently. Not a problem at all. The semi's I think are 30 to 50 gallons. That would be a little more cumbersome. A pump would be a blessing there.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
You mean the DEF itself only lasts for 4 diesel fuel fills.
A friend of mine is a long haul trucker and he says they use A LOT of DEF. He has to fill it almost daily.

I guess when you're getting 5 MPG, and no cheating on emissions like a VW, you really need a correspondingly large amount of DEF to go along with that fuel.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5 gallons is only 2 cubes. That is what I put in my Beetle recently. Not a problem at all. The semi's I think are 30 to 50 gallons. That would be a little more cumbersome. A pump would be a blessing there.

Just like everything its a matter of weight savings. Each manufacture offeres different options. My in-laws have a HHO company and their new truck now uses DEF, it's a 5 gallon tank, and they need to refill weekly during the busy season.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I have about 500,000 miles in heavy trucks...
About 200,000 was running trucks that used DEF...TWO different trucks actually....
One had a small def tank and two 80 gallon disel tank...needed to fill the DEF EVERY 4TH FILL, smallest tank you could have installed for that year, was to limit the empty weight (some contracts require a maximum weight, fulley fueled to maximize load carrying), cause we hauled lots of beer/water. The second truck had a pair of 100 gallon tanks (some had 125) and a much larger def tank, think it was about 35 gallon's, a bit more than 2x the size if the same one...
Both trucks had DD13 engines and the same tranny's/final drive ratio...
Both trucks could get 8-10 MPG at 80,000 if driven well at 63 mph, depending on winds, seasons, and traffic and terrain.

okanTDI

TDI
97 Jetta TD
Not everything is a scam or conspiracy. Sometimes the simple truth is at play as well. If the pump was broken offering what they had wasn't unusual either. I doubt semis fill using the cubes much.

I’m a truck driver and I’ve never had to fill up with the “cubes”. I’m guessing the truck stop that had a broken pump was some small establishment. Every main truck stop (pilot, flying j, t/a, petro, loves) should have bulk DEF at every pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a Pilot, again its the only shop in town other than a tourist trap actually on 93.

They only have one DEF pump island serving two lanes, of a 8 lane filling station. In about 7K miles more we'll prob need more DEF and I'll give them a call to see if they fixed the pump.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
It's a Pilot, again its the only shop in town other than a tourist trap actually on 93.

They only have one DEF pump island serving two lanes, of a 8 lane filling station. In about 7K miles more we'll prob need more DEF and I'll give them a call to see if they fixed the pump.
DEF pumps are becoming far more common..
The small gas station across the street from the QURIK VW dealer in Manchester (by the mall of NH) has a Def pump on the 2 pump diesel truck island...
Also the Irving just over the Maine state line in Kittery has had a pump for years...and they are becoming far more common than even 5 years ago as the older pre 2011-2013 (the years most trucks switched) trucks are getting phased out, even in the box truck fleets where a 10 year life is common.
One tip..
When you go to use one of the pumps, don't open the pump up with a full pull off the handle...let it dribble in over 2-3 minutes...heck you might need a funnel and a rag in some cases...some claimed the "water hammer" effect would dammage the tank...but if you fill slowly, no issues.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I saw the signs for that Sunoco but never stopped, I'll keep that in mind next time. Kinda makes sense they'd have it seeing the heavy truck dealer is across the street.

The other place I've paid at the pump was at the TA in Greenland, conveniently i had to head over there for work and tossed in my jugs.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
So i made it 16500 miles on the tank of Adblue before i got the 1500 mile warning. Looks like it wont make it 2 oil changes. So ill just top it off every oil change.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We were at 15K or so on our Passat, phase 1 with tune. I'm thinking 2.5 gallons I added will last well past 20K, maybe hit 25K.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
I have about 500,000 miles in heavy trucks...
About 200,000 was running trucks that used DEF...TWO different trucks actually....
One had a small def tank and two 80 gallon disel tank...needed to fill the DEF EVERY 4TH FILL, smallest tank you could have installed for that year, was to limit the empty weight (some contracts require a maximum weight, fulley fueled to maximize load carrying), cause we hauled lots of beer/water. The second truck had a pair of 100 gallon tanks (some had 125) and a much larger def tank, think it was about 35 gallon's, a bit more than 2x the size if the same one...
Both trucks had DD13 engines and the same tranny's/final drive ratio...
Both trucks could get 8-10 MPG at 80,000 if driven well at 63 mph, depending on winds, seasons, and traffic and terrain.
8-10mpg sounds excellent @80,000# There are plenty of diesel pickups pulling 15,000 pound trailers getting about the same mpg.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
8-10mpg sounds excellent @80,000# There are plenty of diesel pickups pulling 15,000 pound trailers getting about the same mpg.
Minimizing the gap between the cab and the trailer is very important...then having the top fairings match the trailer...the pickup guys are make huge amounts of drag..
Amazing they make any $$
So in the choice of tires are very important...cheap high rolling resistance tires can kill mpg in a truck......cab fairings...not having any leaks in the intercooler, etc...it all ads up...a bit mph here...a bit there...but there is big $$ to be saved/made.
Get the gearing right, with properly prepared truck...then get a good driver...and Bam...
Of note the Freightliner Columbia gets about 1 to 1.5 less mpg just due to cab aerodynamics compared to the popular Columbia....and that does about 3-5 better than the "classic"....
I do other stuff these days....but firmly believe that when you choose to do any job, you don't as a professional and learn as much as you can.

Last edited: