common rail F/S

ronbros

TDI
1982 Isuzu coupe 1.8 Diesel
question; what year did common rail,electronic fuel system be introduced, on VW cars,etc.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
In the USA it was the 2009 model year. I think there may have been some bigger Audi V8s that had it a couple years sooner in Europe, though. MB has been using it since at least 2005.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I believe the first electronic controlled EDC came out in 1985, on a Detroit Diesel, not sure whose system in employed, however.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
First EDC cars, using first-gen Bosch EDC, were the BMW 524td and 324td in calendar year 1986, for MY1987. (And, they had electronic timing control before that, complete with a needle lift sensor in the 4th injector.)

First DI diesel car was the Fiat Croma Turbo D i.d, also in calendar year 1986, for MY1987.

VAG's claim to fame is, in calendar year 1989, for MY1990, putting the two together on a bored out 2.5 liter version of their 2.4 liter IDI 5-cylinder diesel, and sticking it in the Audi 100 Avant TDI.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Looks like the O-series diesel came out in 1986? So, it'd be in the same ballpark as the Croma.