OT about rims

Brian_Spilsbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JETTA, 2004 JETTA
I have a second car in the family that needs snows and rims.
The VIBE has 16" rims with a 5 X 100 bolt pattern, Is there any way I can find out which other vehicles have rims that will match this? A substitution chart would be really handy.
The dealer wants way too much money for steelies and I'm hoping something else used this size for a few years so the wreckers know what to look for.

Brian_Spilsbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JETTA, 2004 JETTA
Great idea...we can share one set of tires over the winterIf the calipers have clearance that is.
Hmmmm. I wonder about that.
The centre bore is 57.1. I think that maybe the same as the NB???
Next question....anyone with steelies for a NB for sale?

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Sweeps is correct, a 5x100 vw wheel should work on a matrix or a vibe...

otherwise, aftermarket steels are only about $50 each brand new for that vehicle....

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Brian_Spilsbury said:
anyone with steelies for a NB for sale?
Are the NB hubs different from the Jetta/Golf ??? Somewhere in my collection of used tires I have a set of 16" winter tires on rims that (theoretically) came off a Jetta... I haven't tried mounting them yet...

Yuri.

Toby

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Gl 2dr
They won't fit. the Vibe/Matrix wheel studs are 12mm, the VW is 14mm so the stud hole in the VW wheels are too big and not really safe to use with small studs and nuts

Last edited:

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Toby said:
They won't fit. the Vibe/Matrix wheel studs are 12mm, the VW is 14mm so the stud hole in the VW wheels are too big and not really safe to use with small studs and nuts
Yes, they will....like I said....without starting a whole new "multi fit vs direct fit" debate, the VW wheel will work on a matrix or vibe; the wheel must be centered on the hub using the wheel nuts and their acorn seat, as the wheel will not sit on the hub. The wheel can be made to work and is 100% safe, I have used a ton of multi fit applications on the Matrix/Vibe (which is a direct fit VW wheel). I sell this stuff for a living, trust me on this......

Toby

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Gl 2dr
streeker02 said:
Yes, they will....like I said....without starting a whole new "multi fit vs direct fit" debate, the VW wheel will work on a matrix or vibe; the wheel must be centered on the hub using the wheel nuts and their acorn seat, as the wheel will not sit on the hub. The wheel can be made to work and is 100% safe, I have used a ton of multi fit applications on the Matrix/Vibe (which is a direct fit VW wheel). I sell this stuff for a living, trust me on this......
No they won't safely. I am not talking about hub center or multi fit wheels. Simply put, VW studs WILL NOT fit through a Toyota wheel and VW wheel STUD holes are too big for Toyota studs. The Toyota studs are simply too small and the nuts WILL NOT CENTER THE WHEEL. In fact they wont even tighten a VW wheel correctly, the nut will bottom on the rotor before tightning the wheel

The multi fit wheels we put on at the dealer looked just like VW wheels with one small difference, the bolt holes are not bored out as far as a VW wheel

Adam
Ex Toyota tech who has tried his VW wheels on a Matrix,

Last edited:

Toby

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Gl 2dr
streeker02 said:
(you have to change the wheel nuts..on ANY toyota going from alloy to steel)
recommended yes, manditory no. Most of the alloy wheeled cars have steel spare tire wheels. The special nuts Toyota uses for the alloys do have a "acorn" style end to them which allows the alloys nut to seat on a steel wheel that has the correct size hole for the stud. The steel wheeled cars use a conventional acorn nut so its a no-issue there so long as the hole for the stud isn't too big and the nut goes through to far.

I am speaking from first hand experience here. Just don't want to see anyone get hurt, I get very defensive when it comes to the saftey of the cars on the roads my family and friends use

Last edited:

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
I couldn't agree more, with regards to safety. I won't beat a dead horse any longer. I put a set on a Vibe just today. I've done no less than 20 already this season. I've probably done more than 200 since the Matrix/Vibe was released. If any wheels were going to fall off, it would have happened a looong time ago.

Sorry for the threadjack Brian :eek:

Toby

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Gl 2dr
streeker02 said:
Sorry for the threadjack Brian :eek:
I wouldn't call it a threadjack, the OP asked if they would work. We are still on topic. The wheels you have installed, have you measured the stud hole to see what size they are? does your supplier just have one part number for both VW and Matrix/Vibe. Curiosity is killing me now

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Toby said:
I wouldn't call it a threadjack, the OP asked if they would work. We are still on topic. The wheels you have installed, have you measured the stud hole to see what size they are? does your supplier just have one part number for both VW and Matrix/Vibe. Curiosity is killing me now

My principal steel wheel supplier is Macpek, based in montreal....according to their application guide, a 15" direct fit wheel for mk4 golf/jetta 5x100 15" is part number x41557. They list the same number as the multi fit application for vibe/matrix 2002 thru 2008 with 5/100 bolt pattern...the 2009 is now 5/114.3 so the application is different. They DO list a different "direct fit" number for the toyota hub; but direct fit VW wheel will work as a multi fit application on the toyota hub (ie it is not hub centric; the wheel studs are smaller and the wheel lugs must be changed). As stated, I've done it many many times with no complaints.