Phase 2 fix for recent purchase

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
Today I purchased a blue 2015 Passat SE DSG that has phase 1 of fix already installed. I initiated the "buyback" for my black 2015 Passat SE manual. If I want to collect the 1/3 restitution for the phase 2 fix for my new blue car, do I need to create new account @ VW diesel scandal site, or can I use the same account I am using to sell back my black car?

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
What is the history on the new car? Was it already bought back through VW, fixed, and re-sold? In this case I do not think you're eligible for any more restitution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
I checked the VIN against the website and confirmed I am eligible for ~$2400 when phase 2 is available. I don't think this was known by the used car lot. Car had phase 1 fix applied June 2017 and has been idle since based on mileage....

Interestingly...there was a sticker on the window (I since removed) stating that the vehicle has diesel emissions issues with contact info for how to learn details.

Wish me luck...I think I got a great deal...my initial purchase (4/2015) was $25K OTD. My new car was $15.9K OTD. My buyback/restitution will be $28.1K and my Phase 2 "fix" for my new car will be $2.4K. To me...this is 25000+15900-28100-2400 = $10.4K for a "new" car purchased in Apr 2015...and my "new" "new" car has 8000 fewer miles than my "buyback" car.

Crazy nutz luck, no? And I'm NOT the guy who tries to get things for free....but with this kind of money on the table...I must sell back. And 3rd windfall is that my old Passat's tires are bald...inspection is due soon...new car has good tires...so I save buying a set for ~$500. Totally insane. I hope VW comes out OK....

Last edited:

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
My '15 that I picked up recently also shows some $ available when Phase 2 is complete, but I am pretty sure it isn't eligible as it was a previous buyback. Check the carfax, if it shows it was titled in Michigan, it is likely it was a buyback which VW then fixed and auctioned off, to then be sold. Don't think you can double dip in the restitution bucket, but I certainly wouldn't mind!

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
I checked the VIN against the website and confirmed I am eligible for ~$2400 when phase 2 is available. I don't think this was known by the used car lot. Car had phase 1 fix applied June 2017 and has been idle since based on mileage....
I'm in the same situation currently. VW website said I/my vehicle were eligible for the same payout, but I got an email a few days ago from VW stating that my claim was ineligible. I've appealed to the claims administrator, but I'm not holding my breath.

I got a good deal on purchase, it's a solid vehicle and I find something new to like about it every day. The VW cash was just an added bonus!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Everyone who has submitted their info has been denied. I'm sitting at the upload docs page just in case something gets worked out but I'm not holding my breath. VW probably figures we will go in for phase 2 regardless of the money so we can get the rest of our extended warranties.

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Everyone who has submitted their info has been denied. I'm sitting at the upload docs page just in case something gets worked out but I'm not holding my breath. VW probably figures we will go in for phase 2 regardless of the money so we can get the rest of our extended warranties.
I will be, once it's available. The warranty alone is worth what my payment would have been. It's extremely frustrating though, having to upload all docs, wait 2 weeks just to be told that the online portal has no way of determining eligibility until docs are reviewed.

My car was a VW buyback, fixed, resold at auction to me. The online rep I chatted with said I was excluded from compensation since my car was a buyback, but they had no way of determining if my car was eligible without reviewing docs. There's no possible way they can mark these vehicles as being ineligible based on VIN and any former buyback statuses.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
JKC what does the title trail show of the car? if it went back to Anne Arbor MI, then its a VW buyback and there's noting left for you.

Only hope for 2nd phase of the fix money is if the car went through local auction/used car dealer hands and never back to VWoA.