Upgraded H1 headlight bulbs

kurtisk

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI, red on black, Stock; 2000 New Beetle TDI Auto swapped for 5spd, Cybergreen on Black, PSI Power Box; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI, red on tan; 2014 Beetle Convertible TDI Premium Edition, pearl white on black leather
One of the headlights on my 2000 Beetle TDI just went out, so the issue of using higher output HID type bulbs is being forced on me.

Previously I owned a 1988 Jetta with a GTI 4-headlight grill drawing 400 Watts in high beam mode. Impressive light, but it also melted my headlight switch in the dash. This time I will be more cautious.

I am welcoming any feedback about these headlight upgrades including: Do that make a difference in lighting up the road? Do they look better, that is like the high end Xenon HID lights? What brand and or model have people had really good luck with?

jetmann

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Jetta
Skip the HID's and get a set of European specification light assemblies. North American spec lights have an inferior pattern. Brighter bulbs will only give you more inferior light -- garbage in, garbage out. Go to the TDI 101 or Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) forums, run a search for "E-code" and read for a few minutes...

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Excuse me, but this fellow (as well as I) has a NB which has a superior projector beam low beam headlight system. I'll bet they are already 'e-codes'. Maybe a NB-specific site such as www.newbeetle.org would have a little more info on replacement bulbs. For myself, I think I will buy the long-life bulbs from the dealer like the ones that came stock. Who wants to change bulbs and attract undue attention?

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Jetmann's absolutely right. A higher-wattage bulb in conjunction with a crap headlamp design will not improve matters. I can vouch for that with my early Discovery, which was renowned for having godawful headlamps. Tried 100W bulbs - no real difference.

BTW, in Europe, 100W bulbs are not road-legal, and I suspect the same applies over here. I mean, I wouldn't be using them in the spotlamps I fitted to the Disco, would I...?

- Richard

PS - Don't waste your money on those blue bulbs - they're crap, and have a much lower life expectancy than ordinary bulbs.

[ November 19, 2002, 07:36: Message edited by: chopchop ]

jetmann

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Jetta
You're right, VF, but I'm not at all sold on putting hot lamps in VW's OEM fixtures. I know the Golf/NB doesn't suffer like the Jetta, but I'd seriously look at aftermarkets or E-codes if I were going HID...

BTW kurtisk, the lighting forum at VWVortex might also be of interest to you...

[ November 19, 2002, 08:04: Message edited by: jetmann ]

M

mickey

I'll bet they are already 'e-codes'.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not so. "E-code" and "DOT" are mutually exclusive. No matter how good the quality of the lamp assembly, DOT lamps still put out a vague puddle of light. They have to.

E-code headlamps are an entirely other matter.

You should NOT use over-wattage bulbs in your stock NB headlamps! Not only could you melt the plastic lenses, but all you'll accomplish is to put out a whole bunch of poorly-aimed light.

Replacement bulbs: Use nothing but high quality "clear" halogen bulbs, from Osram, Sylvania, Bosch or another reputable manufacturer. Do NOT be suckered into any sort of "Xenon" bulbs! Do NOT purchase a bulb which has any sort of colored coating!

The biggest limitation on the light output of stock bulbs is the car's wiring. Manufacturers use the thinnest gauge wires they can get away with. They work okay when the car is brand new, but electrical connections inevitably develop some resistance, and the OEM connnections have no "extra capacity" to spare.

Do not, under any circumstances, spend the big bucks for an aftermarket HID setup! Headlamps have to be specially designed for HID bulbs. Sticking arc-discharge bulbs in your OEM lamps will result in dangerous glare; both to oncoming traffic and to YOU, when it rains. There is more to good headlight design than "brightness."

The best solution is to install true E-code headlamp assemblies, and to run over-wattage bulbs through heavy gauge wiring and relays. (The OEM wiring is only used to trigger the relays. The power comes directly from the battery.) I did this in my Jeep, and the difference is astounding! With stock DOT spec headlamps, you are technically over-driving your headlights, on high beam, at about 70 mph. You have maybe 4 or 5 seconds worth of visibility in front of you. With my Cibie E-code lamps and murderous 100 watt high beam filaments, driven through Bosch relays, I have a whopping TWELVE SECONDS of visibility in front of me at 80 mph!

You'll want to run stock wattage low beam filaments in your E-codes, but the headlamps are so much more efficient, and focus the light where it's actually needed so much better than DOT lamps, that it'll seem like the difference between night and day. And again, you'll be driving them through relays and fat wires, so they'll actually put out the whole light output they were designed to.

After the initial expense, you'll only be paying for standard halogen bulbs. No expensive gimmick bulbs. Even the over-wattage bulbs are only ten bucks or so.

Go to http://lighting.mbz.org and educate yourself. Daniel Stern knows everything there is to know about automotive lighting. Once you're educated, he can hook you up with E-codes, bulbs and relays for your NB. I recommend standard 55 watt bulbs for low beams, at 100 watts for high beams.

-mickey

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Just get Phillips VisionPlus H1 bulbs from www.powerbulbs.com

If there is going to be a difference in the NB projectors for DOT and E-code (low beams) it would be only the shape the shield blocking the lower portion of the projector lens. DOT will let a little more light pass through the lower edges of the projector lens to get the pattern.

I think you guys are blowing this a little out of proportion. I'd understand if it was the Golf or Jetta.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Originally posted by mickey:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> I'll bet they are already 'e-codes'.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not so. "E-code" and "DOT" are mutually exclusive. No matter how good the quality of the lamp assembly, DOT lamps still put out a vague puddle of light. They have to.

E-code headlamps are an entirely other matter.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not entirely true anymore. Some headlights are made to a hybrid DOT/E-code standard. A few examples are HIDs, but also many Hondas have such lights stamped for both E-code and DOT. They tend to use the HB2/9003 bulb which is essentially an H4 bulb homologated for DOT use. The B5 Passat used a very Euro light pattern on the DOT lights using H7 bulbs.

What Mickey says used to be the case but it's no longer as clear cut. Of course the Jettas for some reason went to a VERY crappy 9007 bulb/reflector combo. The Golf's H7 DOT setup is a bit better. The H1s on the NBs are definitely NOT e-code but aren't half bad for DOT-spec.

The worst DOT spec were the 9004s. Absolutely horrible lights. Only 45w on low beam. I don't think too many cars use them anymore but some trucks appear to still be sold with them. They were on the A3 Jettas and Golfs.

More and more cars fortunately are going to the hybrid DOT/E-code pattern. My wife's Odyssey for one. Virtually all Hondas except Accords. A few GMs and Fords too (Focus uses the HB2/9003, as does the Escape I believe). Many Toyotas.

The lights on my wife's Mk 1 Odyssey are excellent (HB2/9003/H4); single-bulb lamps better than the 9005/9006 setup on my Accord.

My worst headlight right now is the 4505 halogen landing light on my Piper Cherokee. Single lamp. Not single bulb lamps, but SINGLE LAMP. Might as well have a candle on a stick...

However, if you think DOT regs are bad when it comes to aftermarket upgrades, try the FAA or Transport Canada...

[ November 30, 2002, 17:27: Message edited by: PlaneCrazy ]

Oldman

Top Post Dawg
Mike, I've been putting this off, and now after going across Texas at night with the wife's volvo, I really know how poor my Jetta lights are. WHat can I do short of E codes? Can you give me 3 steps, from simple to Ecodes along with price?

I had an Intergra with Projector lights, so I know how good lights can get. I don't need to have the ultimate, but the MK4 Jetta lights plane suck.

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta
Originally posted by VelvetFoot:
Excuse me, but this fellow (as well as I) has a NB which has a superior projector beam low beam headlight system. I'll bet they are already 'e-codes'.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The NB does not ship to North America with anything close to e-codes.

To achieve the mandated upward glare factor to light overhead road signs the NB low beam has a modified projector lens. If you look at the front of the projector lens you will find a raised bead running across the front of the lens which is not found on the true e-codes. This bead is located in front of the cutoff point of the internal light filter and distorts the sharp cut-off to provide enough flare to light overhead signs. The amount of flare is a designed in function of the lens and the brightness of the lamp. If you put in a brighter lamp the amount of flare will also increase.

Putting in e-codes will also let you wire in the city lights. They are located in the slight circular depression in the high beam reflector.

If you must install brighter lamps into the stock DOT fixtures there is one other option. Since you have to take the whole fixture out of the car to change the lamps anyway, go ahead and partly disassemble the the fixture so you have access to the front of the projector lens. Clean it with a degreaser and then paint only the raised bead with flat black paint. This will restore the sharp e-code cut-off to the DOT spec. low beam.

As with any lamp change always recheck the height adjustment. The relationship between the location of the filiment and the lens is so critical that the focal point of the replacement lamps is different enough to likely require an adjustment with every lamp change. Using non DOT or EC approved lamps will likely result in you finding that the lamp cannot be correctly aimed to produce a legal beam pattern.

msauve

Veteran Member
NB headlamps do indeed meet both DOT and Euro (E code) specifications. For all who aren't oblivious to facts, this can be easily confirmed by mere inspection.

The ones on my Bug are marked "E1" in a circle, indicating ECE approval granted in Germany. They are also DOT marked, as they are the headlights delivered with this US car. e-codes explained

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
Incorrect. My 2K2 Jetta headlight lenses had both the E1 and DOT markings. So did the actual E-codes I purchased in Holland. However, the true "guts" of the lights are different. Lamp, reflector, running light/city light setup, and turn signals are different. Both the e-codes and the DOT lights use the exact same front lens, but the light patters are very different.

Now, there ARE lights that are dual approved. My wifes Alero has these, same lights as the Aleros I saw in Holland (yes, there are Aleros in Holland - why they would want a Oldsmopile is beyond me...). But, her headlights (the ones on the car, that is
) are quite excellent, much better than the stock Jetta DOT's.

Chris

Originally posted by msauve:
NB headlamps do indeed meet both DOT and Euro (E code) specifications. For all who aren't oblivious to facts, this can be easily confirmed by mere inspection.

The ones on my Bug are marked "E1" in a circle, indicating ECE approval granted in Germany. They are also DOT marked, as they are the headlights delivered with this US car. e-codes explained
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

msauve

Veteran Member
Originally posted by Chris B:
Incorrect. My 2K2 Jetta headlight lenses had both the E1 and DOT markings.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's not clear why you insist so strongly on being wrong.

I did NOT say that the NB ships in the US with the same lamps as in Europe. I said that the US NB ships with "e-code" lamps, that is, lamps which have been ECE approved. That is true. VW would be in major trouble with the ECE if they were marking non-compliant lamps with ECE compliance markings.

There are no doubt compromises which VW must make to also meet DOT specs, compromises which they don't have to make for vehicles in Europe.

The fact remains that NB headlamps are both ECE and DOT approved/certified.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Chris B:
Incorrect. My 2K2 Jetta headlight lenses had both the E1 and DOT markings.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's not clear why you insist so strongly on being wrong.

I did NOT say that the NB ships in the US with the same lamps as in Europe. I said that the US NB ships with "e-code" lamps, that is, lamps which have been ECE approved. That is true. VW would be in major trouble with the ECE if they were marking non-compliant lamps with ECE compliance markings.

There are no doubt compromises which VW must make to also meet DOT specs, compromises which they don't have to make for vehicles in Europe.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually I don't know about the NB but the Jetta lights have both E and DOT stamps on them but they're mutually exclusive in the case of the Jetta. It's simply because they use the same lens for both. The DOT lights will have a "NOT FOR ECE" sticker on them somewhere if I recall. The 9007 bulbs are NOT ECE-approved even thought the lens has the "E" in a circle.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Originally posted by Oldman:
Mike, I've been putting this off, and now after going across Texas at night with the wife's volvo, I really know how poor my Jetta lights are. WHat can I do short of E codes? Can you give me 3 steps, from simple to Ecodes along with price?

I had an Intergra with Projector lights, so I know how good lights can get. I don't need to have the ultimate, but the MK4 Jetta lights plane suck.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There's no simple solution. The reason is the rather lack of room for auxiliary lights on the Jetta. You could try micro DE projector fogs but to effective you'll need fogs for low beam, driving lamps for high beam, made all the more difficult because there's the intercooler intake to avoid blocking. Easiest way really is to invest about $500 CDN in e-codes and a euroswitch which will gain you fogs as well. It's a lot cheaper than HID and very effective.

Forget aftermarket bulbs. The only thing they'll do is accentuate how lousy the light pattern of the DOT lamps is.

Gawd you guys are making me miss my Jetta...

[ December 01, 2002, 19:52: Message edited by: PlaneCrazy ]

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As I stated before the North American NB lamps are not ECE approved. They lack the wiring for the city lights and the projector lens is specific to North American DOT specs. because it has been modified to flare a large amount of light overhead to iluminate non-lighted american road signs which causes an unacceptable amount of glare by ECE standards.

Here are the part numbers for the different NB headlights that are not DOT or North American :

1C0 941 029 J
  HALOGEN HEADLIGHT
(RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC ONLY)   LEFT

1C2 941 029 D
  HALOGEN HEADLIGHT
(LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC ONLY)   LEFT

1C0 941 029 K
  HALOGEN HEADLIGHT LEFT
  CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA

1C0 941 029 L
  HALOGEN HEADLIGHT LEFT
  CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA SPORT EDIT.

1C0 941 030 J
  HALOGEN HEADLIGHT
(RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC ONLY)  RIGHT

1C2 941 030 D
  HALOGEN HEADLIGHT
(LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC ONLY)   RIGHT

1C0 941 030 K
  HALOGEN HEADLIGHT RIGHT
  CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA

1C0 941 030 L
  HALOGEN HEADLIGHT RIGHT
CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA SPORT EDIT.

1C0 941 115 A
  HEADLIGHT LENS LEFT ECE/E1  

1C0 941 115 B
  HEADLIGHT LENS LEFT
SAE/DOT   CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA  

1C0 941 116 A
  HEADLIGHT LENS RIGHT ECE/E1  

1C0 941 116 B
  HEADLIGHT LENS RIGHT
SAE/DOT   CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
This is indeed interesting info.
Coincidentally, I changed the H1 bulbs in the NB this weekend for the Phillips Vision Plus. There does seem to be an improvement. I will say again, however, that I think the Beetle's projector beam lights are pretty good. Better than the Jetta's lights, for sure, (I had a 99 1/2).

PS: Don't just blindly follow Bentley like I did. Both bulbs are indeed H1 (no H7 involved like Bentley said), and don't just pull up on the lever like Bentley said. I broke a lever before I did a search on www.Newbeetle.org and found that one must push a knurled button first. The replacement plastic piece was $14. In passing, one parts department told me that a replacement lamp fixture was $340.

msauve

Veteran Member
Originally posted by Tyler Gee:
[QB]As I stated before the North American NB lamps are not ECE approved.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You continue with that claim, yet offer ZERO evidence of it. Showing that different part number exist does not prove that US headlights are not ECE approved.

The readily verifiable fact that those headlamps have official markings indication ECE approval bears far more weight than your pathetic attempts to rationalize your unsupported position.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Tyler makes a very good point in one of his posts above, where he states "As with any lamp change always recheck the height adjustment. The relationship between the location of the filament and the lens is so critical that the focal point of the replacement lamps is different enough to likely require an adjustment with every lamp change."

I purchased Philips VisionPlus bulbs in Europe and refitted them to the North American headlamps that came in my 2002 Golf. It was very necessary to re-align the headlights after installing these bulbs, I suspect because the filament in the Philips bulbs is in a fractionally different location than the filament in the bulbs that came with the car.

After having the dealer do a very careful re-alignment of the headlights, I had a look at the result - more light, that much was true, but also two rather annoying hotspots in front of the car when the low beams are on. Such is life.

Michael

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Tyler Gee:
[QB]As I stated before the North American NB lamps are not ECE approved.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You continue with that claim, yet offer ZERO evidence of it. Showing that different part number exist does not prove that US headlights are not ECE approved.

The readily verifiable fact that those headlamps have official markings indication ECE approval bears far more weight than your pathetic attempts to rationalize your unsupported position.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK lets review here:
1C0 941 115 A
HEADLIGHT LENS LEFT ECE/E1

1C0 941 115 B
HEADLIGHT LENS LEFT
SAE/DOT CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA

I can also confirm that my 98 NB had a sticker on the back of the headlight that warned "Not For ECE"

That said, I will defer to your judgement, I have no intention of engaging in a battle of wits with a defenseless person...YOU WIN